Good beginner float? - results

Recreational and touring boaters

spyder9179
Name: Russell Hatridge

Good beginner float? - results

Post by spyder9179 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:09 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone again for their suggestions and help on getting me and mine started. We floated the Caddo Saturday from Caddo Gap to Glenwood, and it was great. Aside from the crowds (and I can't complain about that, cuz I was part of 'em) I don't think there was a negative in the entire day. We had some close calls, but nobody came out of their yak unless they meant to. Got to help unswamp a canoe again (my brother-in-law and I had helped one when we floated the Buffalo--an incident that will remain in family lore forever, but I won't go into it here). River was perfect, kids had a great time, we took our time (lesson learned #1), made a day of it and couldn't ask for a better day. Paddling bug now firmly implanted into my bloodstream (I think my wife is getting tired of me talking about it).

Even though I know I'll catch some heat from these, here are a handful of pics from the river (didn't have as many left on the waterproof camera as I thought):

http://picasaweb.google.com/rhatridge/A ... rvA9-OqGC8

Next time I'm gonna try and get some better "action" shots, but these should give you an idea of which group to look out for if you ever encounter us on the water.

After tonight there will be a few from us camping at Albert Pike in there too, thus the name.

Thanks again and I hope to see you on the river sometime,

Russell
You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it. -- Paulo Coelho

Lupe
Name: Heather Huckeba

Re: Good beginner float? - results

Post by Lupe » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks for sharing your pics and trip report. Glad that you all had such a great time!

If you all can make it, maybe plan to join us for our July cookout we have in Malvern across the river from Rockport (called "Surf n Turf"). It will be on July 26...more details will be posted as we get closer to the date. Come on out and meet lots of kindred spirits who also have the "paddle bug firmly implanted in their bloodstream"! :D

Cheers,
Heather aka Lupe
I've heard that into every life a little of it must fall,
but you'll never catch me complaining about too much of that southern rain.
~ Michael Timmins, Cowboy Junkies

Lifejacket
Name: Adam Snodgrass

Post by Lifejacket » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:19 am

I was there Saturday as well, hate that I did not get to meet you. Curious about the pinned canoe, was it the one that was hung up on the root wad we used the rope to get out?
Yellow Extrasport now above a blue Liquid Logic Hoss

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:16 am

Thanks for the trip report Russell. I'm also glad you had a nice time. Those prictures sure look like 'Happy Family' :D That's what we all like!

Do keep the Surf-N-Turf in mind, it's always a fun day and a chance to meet many of the paddlers in the club. As I mentioned before, with a little advanced notice, I think we could find enough boats for you to float along with us that day.

Best Regards
Jim

spyder9179
Name: Russell Hatridge

Post by spyder9179 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:15 am

Lifejacket wrote:I was there Saturday as well, hate that I did not get to meet you. Curious about the pinned canoe, was it the one that was hung up on the root wad we used the rope to get out?
No, this one was pinned on a rock, I would guess about halfway down (tween Caddo Gap and Glenwood). Two other guys and myself manhandled it out. The way we did it wasn't the way I would have preferred to handle it, but we got it done. Sorry we didn't meet as well, maybe next time.
You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it. -- Paulo Coelho

Social Media