Dragover Float Trip on Saturday the 21st

Recreational and touring boaters

Jim Krueger

Dragover Float Trip on Saturday the 21st

Post by Jim Krueger » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:31 pm

Marlo and I are heading over to float and fish the Dragover section of the Upper Ouachita in the morning. We plan to arrive about 10:30 or so, any others who would care to ride over with us or meet there would be fine.
Currently the river is at 3.31 ft. and it dosen't look like the chance of rain is very good today so it should be about 3 ft. or so at put-in time.

Best Regards
Jim

Jim Krueger

Re: Dragover Float Trip on Saturday the 21st

Post by Jim Krueger » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:37 am

Hey All,

Marlo and I had a pleasant trip on the Dragover section yesterday! The sky was so blue and the river felt so nice for some swimming. At 3.3ft though it is a little pushy for fishing the rapids but couldn't be better for WW play. As far as fishing, not a stellar day but I did manage to finally catch more than Marlo with several smaller Small Mouth, and one pretty nice one :)
Dragover seems to be one of those places where I never know who I will meet. Yesterday I met Eric Rigg?, and wife from the Dust Bowl chapter, they had been visiting several places in the area and wanted to check out Dragover put-in & take-out. After we were on the river, we also met Rev. Jim Jones of the River Valley chapter, getting in some tandem open boat practice. Nice to meet you all.

Best Regards
Jim

Lifejacket
Name: Adam Snodgrass

Post by Lifejacket » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:18 am

Jim, Wish I would have caught your post earlier would have loved to join you. Went to the caddo again Saturday a nice level but not much play compaired to last Sunday. Got to meet JimE, wife, and I beleive his brother-in-law had a great time still very crowded with renters. They never cease to amaze me. Had to use the rope to unpin a rental. It took about 10 or better guys to get it out. Kinda glad I came along, don't know that they would have got it without the rope. Canoe was pinned on a root wad with a sizeable current going down bothsides. Curious what they got charged since it broke both seats, one of the two cross braces, and ripped off the rubber triangle on the front.
Yellow Extrasport now above a blue Liquid Logic Hoss

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:49 am

Hey Lifejacket,

It was almost total solitude on the Dragover but I mentioned to Marlo during the day that I'd bet the Caddo was busy. I know the renters most always have a ton of fun even when low and I couldn't be happier for our outfitter friends who are having a better year for 'making hay while the sun shines' so to speak :)
I too have worked on several pinned boats on the Caddo over the years. When it is at a lower level it seems like there are even more broaches and pins. In most every case, I get the sense the people involved just can't believe the river can be so powerful to render their canoe as heavy as 'a dead elephant in the living room' :) Luckily most folks themselves come to little harm and many seem grateful for your assistance, and are sometimes even open to a little friendly instruction.

Best Regards
Jim

Karla
Name: Karla R.

Post by Karla » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:46 pm

You and Marlo should have been on the Buffalo with us. There were fish jumping everywhere and we saw people catching some. Was a great day.

Karla

Social Media