Multi-day trips

Recreational and touring boaters

Firefly_Aviator

Multi-day trips

Post by Firefly_Aviator » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:48 pm

I recently bought a Perception Expression 14.5 from OMTC in Conway and JUST joined ACC a few minutes ago. I'm looking to do multi day trips around central Arkansas and hoping I can get some recommendations. I've searched Google Earth and found a few places like Lake Ouachita, and maybe the Little Maumelle. Streams that have plenty of camping places along the way are ideal. Thanks!

RiverRummer
Name: BUH

Re: Multi-day trips

Post by RiverRummer » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:39 am

you have to checkout the Buffalo River, its great for multiday trips.
I have done anywhere from 5 to 60 mile trips and have a 125 mi. buffalo river trip in the works ( Ponca to White River ). and so many things to see. Caves, waterfalls, log cabins are just a few. you can camp on any gravel bar or at one of the campgrounds. Kings River is also good, Lower Buffalo is floatable year round, Upper Buffalo needs a good rain or two this time of year to be floatable. fall thru spring are better for the upper Buffalo, unless we get a good heavy storm or several days of rain.

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:51 am

What RiverRummer said plus Current and Eleven Point in Missouri. Both class I with one II- on the Eleven Point. Not sure where you are, but from central Arkansas the drive to the Current is 4.5 hours and the Eleven Point is about three hours away. I highly recommend both. Also, you mentioned lake Ouachita which is another excellent and very different float camping destination. The best put in for paddlers is Buckville. Once you launch it's just a matter of picking your island, and there are many to choose from. I do recommend that if you paddle on lake Ouachita you be a competent boater and able to self rescue. The Buckville area is pretty sheltered compared to the rest of the lake, but it's still big. Also keep in mind that's a lot of boat to turn, so if you take it on those twisty Ozarks streams give yourself plenty of time to make moves. Enjoy!
You come too.
Robert Frost

longpaddler
Name: Robert Rice

Post by longpaddler » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:45 pm

River Rummer is right on target. You get the biggest bang for the buck on the Buffalo. Just get on Highway 7 at Russellville and head north to Jasper and Ponca. I have a 14.5 ft. Old Town kayak and it hauls 200 lbs of gear safely and handles the fast water nicely though it does take more muscle to turn in the shoals. Lots of sand bars to camp on and great sight seeing all along the river. You won't go wrong taking the Buffalo. I'm too old to paddle anymore and am selling my gear. I may have something you can use. Message me if you're interested in my inventory. Dry tops/pants/boots/deck covers/cockpit covers...lotsa stuff. Happy paddling to you!

Social Media