suggestions needed for new kayak

Recreational and touring boaters

Micah
Name: micah

suggestions needed for new kayak

Post by Micah » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:25 am

Hey guys! Looking to get a new or gently used kayak soon and was looking for suggestions. I will be using it on the Buffalo for overnighters and also for lake use for camping trips. I'd like something that tracks well, and has storage. A lot of storage is not necessary as I travel fairly light but the more the better. Also, something that has pretty good stability is a must. My wife will be using some and she doesn't have much experience in a kayak but wanting to learn. And comfort. Definitely want it to be comfortable.
Any help you can offer is appreciated! Thanks!
the poster formely known as born4archery

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Re: suggestions needed for new kayak

Post by Cowper » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:56 pm

I don't really know all the models of touring and cross-over yaks, but I can say one that should be on your list to consider would be an XP-10. Very WW capable, but has a drop down skeg which will help with the tracking.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Chicago Bob
Name: Bob Tyler

Post by Chicago Bob » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:34 pm

Micah; it looks like your ready for a canoe.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:38 am

I have done two self support multidays for 5 days out of a kayak (It was a large Prijon kayak model on the Salt River in AZ)
and
same for canoes (Winona Rendezvous solo most of the time but several other solo and tandem designs Buffalo, 11 point, North Fork type of rivers).

Kayaks, even the larger kayaks, do not have much storage space. Yes, you can do multi day trips out of a kayak but you will be down to the bare minimum of creature comforts. On the other hand, kayaks even kayaks heavily loaded will handle the more difficult rapids pretty easy.

Canoes, even the smaller ones, have a lot of storage space. On multiday floats, you should be able to carry extra comfort items like thick pads, larger tents, chairs, a small cooler and bulky food items. On the other hand, open canoes in more difficult rapids have a much harder time staying dry than kayaks.

If you are fishing, in my opinion, a canoe is much easier to fish from than a kayak (even a kayak without a cover).

I have made a number of floats on the Buffalo. While I love kayaks, canoes are my craft of choice on the Buffalo River and similar rivers in AR and MO. Having even a small cooler along gives you better food and drink choices just not easily available in a kayak.

Just for fun, it would be an eye opener if you gathered all the gear you would want to take on a typical Buffalo Float and be comfortable. Use some tape to outline one of the kayaks you are looking at and a canoe you are looking at. Then determine which outline holds your gear and you in comfort.

For rivers like the Buffalo and similar streams and all lakes, my opinion is that a canoe is the way to go if you want more than the bare basic comfort items along.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Soonerfan85
Name: David

Post by Soonerfan85 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:14 pm

Agree with previous poster regarding the Liquid Logic Remix XP. I just recently bought a used XP10 for my son and it's solidly built. Six years old and no oil canning or hull issues like cheaper made boats. It has very good primary and secondary stability. We use our kayaks for fishing and running the Big Piney and Mulberry. We've made a couple of runs down these creeks and it tracks pretty well in the longer pools with the skeg down, and is very responsive in the class II and III rapids with the skeg up. It has a very large dry storage compartment and the Bad a** seat is very comfortable. With skeg down it's slower than a longer narrower kayak made for flat water, but much easier to paddle on flat water than a WW kayak. Only issues are finding a spray skirt that fits right and the dry storage cover is difficult to remove. I have a Old Town Heron 9 and the XP10 is a better made and better performing kayak in all areas. Of course, new it's about twice the cost of the Heron. Much like a Blue Hole canoe, if you can find a used one jump on it quickly. Good Luck.

David C
Name: David Cooke

Post by David C » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:56 pm

It doesn't sound like you are wanting a boat for getting into whitewater so for that reason a crossover might not be the right fit. There's a lot of mid range fishing boats out there but take a look at a Jackson Coosa. Tons of storage space underneath and a place for a cooler on the back and rod holders. I've had mine for about 7-8 years and it is definitely worth the extra money. You will also not find a more comfortable boat. Definitely the most comfortable boat that I own. You can even take the seat out for a chair around camp. You don't see used ones for sell very often for good reason.

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:42 pm

I paddled an XP10 for several years. Still have it, to good a boat to part with, plus it gives me a good loaner. I switched to a Dagger Katana 10.4. Does everything the XP does only handles better. Better outfitting too. The XP's dry storage is actually semi dry, whereas my Katana has not leaked once in the over two years I've owned it. All this said, I would look at the Dagger Axis 10.4 or 12. The 12 should give ample carrying capacity with a 350 pound weight rating. Plus the long bow will give room to store stuff in front of your feet to help trim the boat.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:31 pm

I know several people that have started out in them. It's a good boat.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

Micah

Post by Micah » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi Guys! Thanks for all the helpful advice. I haven't made my mind up completely on it so I'm still looking around. I have a Old Town Camper canoe and its just to big for what I'm wanting. I've also had a Mohawk probe 12 and it was good but still not exactly what I'm wanting either. Great for white water but wasn't as comfortable for floating with. Which is why I'm really thinking of a kayak. Something with a comfortable seat, a little storage but if I want to play a little I still can. Doesn't have to be a lot of storage either, all my gear that I use for overnight hiking fits in a medium size backpack. No cooler or anything. Comfort items are nice, but not really what I'm into for overnighters. I leave that stuff for when I go camping with the family and church. :)
Thanks again for all the advice!

plastic worm

Post by plastic worm » Sat May 06, 2017 11:07 am

Sorry a little late to the party but here's my opinion. I canoe camped for years but really feel like a kayak is the best choice...especially in any open water situations. The main reason for me is I can flip a SOT kayak back over and get back in it if needed. Also, I can store all my camping gear in the hull and never worry about losing it or it getting wet (w/o the added hassle of tying everything down). I usually do a few 3-4 days kayak camping trips every year. Just returned from a kayak camping trip on the Devils River full read here: http://looknfishy.blogspot.com/2017/04/ ... river.html and love my JK cuda 12 for the reasons you stated. The seat is really comfortable (2012 model the newer ones are even better), it's a good choice for moving and flat water, lots of storage (3 places to enter the hull) and stable enough for me to fly fish from standing. if you wanted something a with a little more stability the Cuda HD is a stand and forget boat. However, I wouldn't take it on a class III...the maneuverability isn't as good but the tracking is great. Hope that helps.

Drew
Blog@: http://looknfishy.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FB@: https://www.facebook.com/looknfishy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IG@: https://instagram.com/looknfishy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Micah

Post by Micah » Sat May 06, 2017 8:03 pm

Pulled the trigger on a Jackson Traverse 10.

Social Media