Winter kayak camping

Recreational and touring boaters

FireNinja
Name: Jason

Winter kayak camping

Post by FireNinja » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:31 pm

Wanting to do an extended weekend kayak camping trip...current or eleven point river...end of january...first part of february...if anyone is interested...

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Re: Winter kayak camping

Post by okieboater » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:46 pm

Suggest you post up details and dates here and I bet you get company!!!
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

nathan richard
Name: nathan

Post by nathan richard » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:32 pm

i'm interested. i will need some aqua therapy pretty bad by then.

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:36 am

I'll be interested provided you don't mind having an SOB (scruffy open boater) along.
You come too.
Robert Frost

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:01 pm

Hey Deuce,

Depending on weather IE if all the metal inside reinforcement does not freeze up, there may be another SOB (Squeaky Open Boater) along.

dave :canoe: :myday"
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:40 am

okieboater wrote:Hey Deuce,

Depending on weather IE if all the metal inside reinforcement does not freeze up, there may be another SOB (Squeaky Open Boater) along.

dave :canoe: :myday"
Don't tease. If that happens I'll kidnap Richard and throw him in the raft. We'll show these butt boaters how to cook in a Dutch Oven.
You come too.
Robert Frost

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:09 am

Lets hope for decent weather.

Might be a battle of DO pine apple upside down cakes, but I have a recipe for rum enhanced pound type cake that might be better tasting.

:crossed:
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

WPC
Name: Diane

Post by WPC » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:56 pm

Keep me in the loop. If I have enough vacation time, some of us from the WPC may join you.

Diane

FireNinja
Name: Jason

Post by FireNinja » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:00 pm

I was thinking eleven point (i have not done it yet) February 3rd-5th...im flexible...let me know...

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:14 am

That weekend won't work for me but please don't feel compelled to reschedule on my account. I'll just keep an eye on the thread and join if I can.
You come too.
Robert Frost

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:58 am

11 point is a good choice I think. Your float is on my calendar but as mentioned I am weather dependent due to a lot of metal inside that acts up some times in freezing weather. After the accident I have done quite a few MO stream canoe floats and really do like the area for canoe camping in fall or winter. Winter time floats are nice but every winter or fall float I have done the weather up there is way cooler than here in Tulsa and some of those MO river valleys get really cold at night in the winter. Take a good sleeping bag and warm camp clothing is my advice. Depending on the weather there is a heavy dew as well so a light tarp or tent is also recommended by me even if weather is not raining.

I do not know the float camp site names that well but there are designated camp sites that have pit toilets that means you do not have to carry a groover if you use them. Do take toilet paper tho. Most float camps have some sort of platform landing that usually mean the more athletic boaters land first then the group helps unload / load canoes etc.

The groups I have floated with on the Eleven Point always meet at Greer Crossing camp ground to camp the night before put in which gives a good early morning start. Take out at the Riverton Bridge. They have also use Richard's shuttle service and he is a good man to deal with. You can drive your cars up to his parking lot a mile or so from the put in, he will take you back to the put in in his truck and the vehicles are shuttled to the take out. URL I think is richardscanoerental.com

The floats I have made as mentioned camp at Greer Camp Ground night before, get up, eat breakfast, put the boats in and do the car shuttle park at Richards.

Easy day's paddle down to one of the float camps with toilet.

next day another easy day's paddle down to Boze Springs float camp which is about 2.7 miles from Riverton take out. Usually at takeout well before noon which makes for a easier drive home.

Check the web for good information on Eleven Point data and maps. missouriscenicrivers.com has one mile by mile and there are several more good ones out there.

This is just info for your planning. Eleven Point is mostly reasonably recreational type paddling and if memory only three spots that take some skills. There is a overhanging tree on river left encountered the first day and a blind drop after Boze springs that is usually run river left but avoiding a nasty hole just off the river left bank. The other is Mary Decker Shoals that has several routes between big rocks. That leaning tree looks easy but current puts you right up next to the underwater part of the leaning tree. My first trip down in my solo canoe, I thought I had it made but ended up broadside to the tree doing a normal kayak hug the rock move which worked great till my rendezvous canoe tipped past the bulge and I was instantly swimming. Pretty easy recovery flats below tho and not much damage but to my ego. So I walk that one now.

eleven point is one of my favorite new found MO overnight float streams and I think you will like it a bunch.

dave
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

Crane

Post by Crane » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:00 am

Put me on the Feb. 10-12 possible list and keep in touch... I might try out our XP-10 for such an adventure, though I'd rather take a little raft :) I'm getting dried out and need water, too... Crane
Crane

Social Media