Wetland Tour #1 Bayou Deview Saturday 11/14/2015

Recreational and touring boaters

DeBo

Wetland Tour #1 Bayou Deview Saturday 11/14/2015

Post by DeBo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:45 pm

Bayou Deview is one of the prettiest places in Arkansas. The trail winds through an ancient Tupelo and Cypress forest. Water levels and weather are looking good. Very easy paddling but be sure to bring dry clothes just in case. Bring lunch and drinks. We will stop somewhere along the way. Wear hunter orange if you have some.

We will meet at 9:00am at the T Ricks just off Interstate 40 at exit 193 at Hazen, then caravan from there.

For more info about the trail:

http://www.agfc.com/species/Pages/Speci ... er%20Trail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by DeBo on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pine

sig
Name: Bryan

Re: Wetland Tour #1 Bayou Deview Saturday 11/14/2015

Post by sig » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:22 am

Nice!
Bryan Signorelli

Karla
Name: Karla R.

Post by Karla » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:19 pm

Debbie how many miles is it. Any spots you have to drag over logs etc?

DeBo

Post by DeBo » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:52 am

Distance is 6.5 miles. If water levels come up as expected, there should be no portages.
“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pine

paddlerextreme
Name: Robert

Post by paddlerextreme » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:15 pm

I hope to join this paddle , maybe a friend or 2 also. Might be a good place to enjoy the outdoors with the start of modern gun- Deer hunting starting , Bummer!!!!!!!!! :box:
Robert

sarahh
Name: Sarah H

Post by sarahh » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:57 am

I'm driving from Maumelle if anyone is interested in carpooling.

David Lewis
Name: David

Post by David Lewis » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:11 am

Robert Miller and I will be there.

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:27 pm

sarahh wrote:I'm driving from Maumelle if anyone is interested in carpooling.
I may be interested in carpooling, Sarah.
Bryan Signorelli

DeBo

Post by DeBo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:25 pm

A Few Inches More: A Bayou Deview trip report

Debbie Doss, Cowper Chadbourn, Bryan Signorelli, Sarah Hankinson, Martha Bowden and Kona, Perry Small, Chris Elkins, Mark Elkins, Ken Gruenwald and friend? David Lewis, Mike Sullivan, Mike Strobel, Rodger Keesee and Mitch Vire. 

Saturday November 12th turned out beautiful and sunny as predicted and 15 intrepid souls appeared on time at the Hazen T'Ricks.  With boats shuffled and shuttle plans made, thanks Cowper, several of us headed to Hickson Lake to spot cars at the take out while everyone else went to the put in.  

When the shuttle crew arrived at the put in at Hwy 17, boats had been unloaded and everyone was being serenaded by Mitch Vire aka The Beard, on his waterproof ukulele.

We proceeded downstream at an easy pace with a slow but steady current pushing us along among the Tupelo and towering Cypress and woodpeckers flitting from  tree to tree.  We stopped for lunch on high ground at The Nature Conservancy restoration area after a short mistaken detour into shallow water and close packed trees.  I eventually left behind those who had the misfortune to follow me and arrived at the lunch spot.  As I glanced back The Beard, in his 17 foot Sawyer canoe appeared to be wedged among the trees.  I had visions of him permanently stranded there and a future time when children around a campfire would listen for the sound of ukulele music drifting out from somewhere deep in the black swamp.

All arrived safely for lunch and afterward we rejoined the trail at Stab Lake.   This long skinny lake gets it's name from it's shape, which can be seen on a map to look like a bayonet.  We soon divided into two groups; those who wanted to paddle faster and those going slower.  

As we descended lower into the swamp to the place we call the maze, we would soon know if water  was flowing through it.

At the maze, the stream spreads out over a wide area, becoming severely divided and braided.  This area acts like a giant sponge that must become saturated before water can flow downstream.  It can take several large rains after a dry season to completely fill it.

We quickly discovered that the "sponge" was not quite full yet.  Water was flowing on the trail, but very thinly.  Our group made slow but steady progress as we looked for the deepest water and hunched over shallow places.  Bryan Signorelli put himself to work by getting out and pulling the rest of us over obstructions.

We finally reached deeper water at a place we call the Pond.  At this spot we took the spur trail to our takeout at Hickson Lake. However, one more trial was ahead of us. Beaver, in their never ending labor to keep water in the lake had constructed at least five dams on the trail.  Thanks again Bryan!

At last we reached Hickson Lake!  The Beard celebrated by alternately playing his ukulele and using it as a paddle. Our group quickly gathered a group of drivers to go to hwy17 and get the cars.  When we returned to Hickson the slow group had arrived.  They will have to tell their own tale.

Fifteen entered and fifteen returned.  All had a great time!

About half of us struck around for dinner in Brinkley. Bryan can tell that story if he wants.

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:16 pm

Debbie,

That was a great trip report! I just know everyone had a good time.

Best Regards
Jim

Social Media