First Timer

Recreational and touring boaters

BigTex
Name: Brandon

First Timer

Post by BigTex » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:34 pm

Bought a caneo over the weekend from my grandparents neighbors. If my wife and I wanted to take it out this weekend where is a good spot here in NWA to go since the rivers are down this time from what I've read. Anywhere I can go on beaver? Hope to learn a lot and enjoyed finding this site.

cpresoz
Name: Curtis Presley

Re: First Timer

Post by cpresoz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:00 am

There are several hollows on the Beaver near Hobbs that you'll love exploring and that's out of the way of the ski boat wakes. And you can hop from one hollow to the next staying close to shore to avoid the wakes. You can google and find a lot of info and directions. Here's a couple of articles: http://www.bwdblog.com/2012/07/july-15t ... aver-lake/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.getoutozarks.com/news/2013/a ... le-hollow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

nathan richard
Name: nathan

Post by nathan richard » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:07 am

If you're not easily offended, the Elk River around Pineville/Noel, MO is still going good. You can go early and miss most of the party crowd.

The White River below Beaver dam is also a good option for the late summer.

cpresoz

Post by cpresoz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:45 pm

If you're up near Pineville, the Big Sugar has been surprisingly flowing this summer.
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

BigTex
Name: Brandon

Post by BigTex » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:22 pm

Appreciate the feedback. I am in Fayetteville and will be looking into these places to check out for Saturday morning

Winterborn
Name: Brian Harvey

Post by Winterborn » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:28 pm

Tex, you might like to go to the event up in Siloam Springs on 8/15 ...

http://www.siloamspringskayakpark.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cpresoz

Post by cpresoz » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Yesterday, with the Siloam gauge at 3.3 or so, we paddled from Chamber Springs Road to Fishers Ford on the Illinois River. Very nice, except for the long pools the final 2 miles. It's a good run for the middle of summer. The shuttle is short and you end up at the Kayak Park with its facilities at the end. Plenty of places to stop and swim.
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:56 am

cpresoz wrote:Yesterday, with the Siloam gauge at 3.3 or so, we paddled from Chamber Springs Road to Fishers Ford on the Illinois River. Very nice, except for the long pools the final 2 miles. It's a good run for the middle of summer. The shuttle is short and you end up at the Kayak Park with its facilities at the end. Plenty of places to stop and swim.
How is the wood on that section? We ran it in 2013 and it was very technical. I can only assume it has changed as much as the upstream stretch, which is a lot.
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

cpresoz

Post by cpresoz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:05 am

tomOzarkVideo wrote:
cpresoz wrote:Yesterday, with the Siloam gauge at 3.3 or so, we paddled from Chamber Springs Road to Fishers Ford on the Illinois River. Very nice, except for the long pools the final 2 miles. It's a good run for the middle of summer. The shuttle is short and you end up at the Kayak Park with its facilities at the end. Plenty of places to stop and swim.
How is the wood on that section? We ran it in 2013 and it was very technical. I can only assume it has changed as much as the upstream stretch, which is a lot.
Nothing extreme. A couple of the side passages had trees across the entire river width, but not any in the main channel. The flood seems to have pushed the previous trees out of the main channel.
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:47 am

That's great! Thanks for sharing!
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

Social Media