DeGray Lower Lake

Recreational and touring boaters

BEubanks
Name: Byron Eubanks

DeGray Lower Lake

Post by BEubanks » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:40 pm

Just returned from an afternoon paddle on the Lower Lake at DeGray. It's just down the road, but we have seldom paddled it, though I'm not sure why. This little lake is just down stream from the main DeGray Dam and the Caddo River access is just downstream of the lower dam. It forms a lake of over 400 acres (if memory serves me well).

We saw a pair of bald eagles as well as several water birds, hawks, etc. And we had the whole lake to ourselves--on a Saturday afternoon. There's one nice swimming hole with a bluff about 10-15 feet and deep water. Two creeks feed the lake as well as the outflow from DeGray Dam. The creeks make for some secluded exploring.

So, if you're looking for a flatwater location where you're likely to have no interference from power boats, this is a good option. It's just over a mile off the Interstate 30 exit for Hot Springs / Arkadelphia. AND if you want some moving water while you're out, the 2 mile section of the Caddo from the lower lake to Hwy 7 is right there, too.

Well worth doing!

WPC
Name: Diane

Re: DeGray Lower Lake

Post by WPC » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:08 am

Sounds like a great place to take my younger grandkids on vacation. Do you have a GPS location, or name of boat ramp you put in?

Diane

BEubanks
Name: Byron Eubanks

Re: DeGray Lower Lake

Post by BEubanks » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:20 pm

34 / 10' 49" N. 93 / 6' 1" W

If, that is I read Google Earth correctly.

Exit 78 off I 30. Take hwy 390 (also called Lower Dam Pike and looks like service road-- it parallels the west bound on ramp.) Follow that road about 1.5 miles until it goes to gravel. In 100 yards or so the ramp will be on your left as you approach the lake.

Social Media