North Fork White River

Recreational and touring boaters

nrichard
Name: Nathan Richard

North Fork White River

Post by nrichard » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:18 am

looking at float camping on the North Fork in Missouri (for the first time) next month. it looks like there is a lot of private land/campgrounds on the section i want to float (Hammond Camp access to the lake). I'm wondering what the gravel bar camping looks like on that section. Are there plenty of options, or should we plan on using the private campgrounds?
anyone familiar with that section?
Thanks,
nathan

Jetlab67
Name: Paul

Re: North Fork White River

Post by Jetlab67 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:18 am

Hey Nathan,

The NFW is a beautiful float especially in the fall. Hammond Camp to Tecumseh bridge on Norfork Lake is a good 2-day trip. Beware the portage at Dawt Mill and the low clearance bridge immediately below. There is ample gravel bar camping although is mostly private land above the bars. Several MDC access points provide convenient camping too. I have stayed at Sunburst Ranch which is pretty quiet and central. I've attached some info to assist your planning.

Don't forget a float on nearby Bryant Creek if time permits. Also, the NFW is one of Missouri's premier trout fisheries and if you want to splurge, a stay at River of Life Farms adjacent to the "Falls" is nice.

Paul

http://www.sunburstranchcanoe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul Smith

Getting lost is never a waste of time - Jack Johnson

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:46 pm

River of Life farms is really nice. We stayed there a few years back. Peaceful, good fishing. We floated from there down to the next MDC access. Pretty place, need to go back for sure sometime.

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:06 am

I will second Paul's suggestion on paddling Bryant's Creek. This creek should not be missed if you're in the area. Also, we stayed at Twin Bridges CG (privately owned) for 3 nights. Nice CG right on NFW.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:07 am

Twin Bridges is a nice place run by nice folks. As I recall they just took it over a few years ago.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Social Media