Info needed: 11 Point, Current, etc.

Recreational and touring boaters

lalyle

Info needed: 11 Point, Current, etc.

Post by lalyle » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:47 pm

A couple of newbie friends are heading to St. Louis and want to do some kayaking on a class one stream on the way back. I know zip about the 11 Point, Current River, and whatever else is twixt here and yonder except for the Spring. Any info and advice to help them plan a safe trip would be appreciated.

fzburk
ArkMoTenn Chapter President
Name: Mark

Re: Info needed: 11 Point, Current, etc.

Post by fzburk » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:16 pm

Current River
http://southwestpaddler.com/docs/current.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eleven Point
http://southwestpaddler.com/docs/elevenpoint.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:08 pm

Both gorgeous Ozark streams with year round flow and tons of neat stuff to experience. Neither one is difficult but the Current is easier. The only thing to really watch out for on the EP is sweepers/strainers. I haven't paddled it since October but there was quite a bit of wood in a couple spots. Just requires boat control. The Current will be a gong show if they go on the weekend. I think the EP will be busy too but perhaps to a lesser extent. If you want more specific beta just say the word.
You come too.
Robert Frost

lalyle

Post by lalyle » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks. I'll pass that on. I might as well incorporate a MO stream into my plans as well. I'm hitting some bike trails in Illinois and streams in Michigan, so I'll be passing through MO with all that gear. No sense in keeping the peddle to the metal on the interstate when I could be taking the scenic route and getting to know some new streams along the way. :kayak:

lalyle

Post by lalyle » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:09 am

Any recommendations on access points and a car shuttle service? Studied all kinds of maps and websites but didn't come away very well oriented. My friends will be renting and shuttling on their trip and on my adventure I'll tote me boat and thus need the car shuttled.

thebob.com
Name: bob

Eleven Point/Current

Post by thebob.com » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:17 am

Unnecessary information regarding Eleven Point was deleted.

BOB
Last edited by thebob.com on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can dance with the river, but you have to know the steps".

Randy Dodson

Post by Randy Dodson » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:58 pm

the name of the canoe rental place is Richard's. There's another one in Alton, I think it's called Eleven Point Canoe Rental. Then another one in Riverton called Hufstedler's.

The Eleven Point and the Current are both awesome if you go in the middle of the week. If you go to the Current, I suggest Aker's Ferry to Roundspring or Pulltite to Roundspring.
Parrot Head Paddler

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:58 am

If you are like me and want to read up on some good general information ahead of time (in a paper book), look for books by Tom Kennon on the topic. They are available in bookstores and on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Canoeing-Kayaking ... 51WWDGHEX4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course the most up to date beta is to be found here from folks who frequent these rivers, but Tom's books are handy references too and, IMHO, belong in every Ozark paddlers' library.

lalyle

Post by lalyle » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:40 am

Thanks. My friend has already settled on the Current and is working on figuring out the easiest access point as she and her partner are incorporating a few hours on the river into their trip to St. Louis for a theatre production.

They are not outdoorsy folks and she's deathly afraid of any kind of snake anywhere, anytime.

What do you know about services and runs around Van Buren and Salem?

Randy Dodson

Post by Randy Dodson » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:49 pm

don't know too much about the river down around Van Buren except that there are a lot more power boats down there. At the upper end of the river, We have used Jadwin Canoe and Carr's Canoe Rental for vehicle shuttle, great folks. There are several more you can check out in the Eminence area. One place you often hear really bad things about is Aker's Ferry Canoe Rental. I love the river between Cedargrove and Roundspring and there are several options for varying lengths in that area. When determining how long a section to paddle, it's good to keep in mind that the Current flows faster than your average Summer float on say, the middle or lower Buffalo. So a ten mile stretch on the Current might be over in a little over 2 hours if you don't stop but there are a lot of springs to stop and see.
Parrot Head Paddler

Social Media