Arkansas River Paddle Through Lock and Dam Saturday 5/31

Recreational and touring boaters

DeBo

Arkansas River Paddle Through Lock and Dam Saturday 5/31

Post by DeBo » Fri May 30, 2014 8:10 am

We will be meeting at 8:00am to do a morning run from Two Rivers Bridge to Burns Park. This event is in conjunction with Arkansas Trails Day. Information about the full event is stickied at the top of this page.

http://forums.arkansascanoeclub.com/vie ... =5&t=25828" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pine

wisefloater14
Name: joe wise

Re: Arkansas River Paddle Through Lock and Dam Saturday 5/31

Post by wisefloater14 » Fri May 30, 2014 9:39 am

Sounds like fun to me !

wisefloater~

msullivan57

Post by msullivan57 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:30 am

No excuses for me not to go on this paddle. Probably could have carried my boat to the launch area from where I live. Want to thank Debbie for providing the experience of going through the lock and dam. Pretty cool. And was helpful to have the coast guard instructions added on. The things I learned. Any boat, including canoes and kayaks can navigate through the lock. Recreational boats cannot use the lock between 10:00 AM and 2:00 Pm Monday through Thursday. Wonder if I could convince them I'm on my daily business commute? The chain to pull to signal you want through the lock is on the left side at the front of the lock. Tie up to the yellow posts that move up and down with the water. Don't tie up to ladders or anything else or you will be hanging from the wall, or dumped in the water. Oh yeah, coast guard guy said snakes like to sit in the slot where the yellow posts are. Never saw a lock and dam employee. Where are those guys?

Fun trip, glad the weather ended up okay. No thunderstorms, just a little rain.

Mike

DeBo

Post by DeBo » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:46 am

Thanks Mike for the trip report. After much dithering around about the weather, we decided to also do the afternoon float on the Little Maumelle. It turned out very well after all, with a couple of very brief light showers and even some sun. This was a fun event even though turnout was low.
“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pine

Dr. Steve Yaney

Post by Dr. Steve Yaney » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:49 pm

Debo's picture was in the gazette today!!!!

DeBo

Post by DeBo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:07 pm

Apparently it wasn't in the Little Rock version.

Social Media