Adding Floatation - Recreational Kayak Advice

Recreational and touring boaters

Charles1967
Name: Charles

Adding Floatation - Recreational Kayak Advice

Post by Charles1967 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:40 pm

I've managed to collect a few Old Town 138 [13.8 foot] recreational kayaks that I've used for the last 9 years. I've thought many times about adding floatation, but trying to find bags that 'fit' and the thought of losing valuable 'gear' space has stopped me. I compensated by never filling them with water, but last year I took a friend who decided to attempt an "under dead tree sideways role while reciting profanity". After I stopped laughing and began helping, I realized a 14 foot rec boat [that already weighs 60 lbs empty] when FULL of water does not want to float, move, or cooperate in any kind of current. It made me think about floatation. :fish:

I HAVE noticed there is quite a bit of space in nose [and rear] that I never actually utilize, but it'd be tough to find a bag that small and just the right shape to fit and/or find a way to secure it.

There is something I read about called "liquid foam" that is a "part A & B" mix that expands. It can be poured into a container, mold (kayak end?), etc and claims to provide floatation. Not sure if it's even close by volume to the floatation an air bag would provide. Has anyone use this for the application I'm eluding to? Either way, what do you think of this option?

Thank you,
Charles
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

adamm
Name: adam

Re: Adding Floatation - Recreational Kayak Advice

Post by adamm » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:23 pm

The problem with this type of foam is when it gets wet it becomes waterlogged much like a sponge. Once it gets wet it's extremely difficult to dry out. So in the event of a swim you now have a boat that is full of water that you can't empty. Next time i see you at the ford I will take a look at your boat and try to come up a solution for securing floatation in your boat. The great thing about float bags is you fill up as much space as possible with them and if you need space for gear to go you can let air out of them to allow more space.
"Ok... set safety and watch me get stupid." Pierce

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:37 pm

They also make combo float/gear bags.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:15 pm

@Adam - did NOT realize it had that characteristic. Realize in some of the videos I reviewed it was a 'sealed' situation. Me bad. Maybe I was just trying to find a 'cheap' route too. Maybe I should just fill the hull with all those 'raft company orange PFDs' I find hooked in the trees on the Illinois? You at Ford tonight?
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

adamm
Name: adam

Post by adamm » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:37 pm

Plans changed this week I was there last night. Great level. I might come this weekend. I'll shoot you a pm later this week when I know for sure.
"Ok... set safety and watch me get stupid." Pierce

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:04 pm

Eric Esche
Name: Eric Esche

Post by Eric Esche » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:32 pm

You may laugh at this, but for a rec boat that you can not find float bags for, a cheapie, but effective floatation fix that is not too heavy, can be 2 liter bottles stuffed into mesh bags. Need more space, take out a few bottles. Yes there will be some water allowed in between the bottles, but they are strong, fairly puncture proof, and FREE if you get them from a recycle center. IF you need structural support, I recommend 4" thick ethatfoam walls glued in place.

Eric Esche

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:47 am

@Eric - Only laughing out of surprise I didn't think of it first! I like to 'recycle'. :) You mentioned the 'structural support' which is one of the reasons I was considering/asking round the 'liquid foam' as the application I read about had it as floatation. I was trying to concoct a plan where I poured it into the nose after building a mold the would force it to rise [kayak standing vertical on nose] into a form that also created a center 'wall'. My idea is it would remove 5-7% of the [unused] volume of the kayak while creating a center support structure [for summer days I like to sit on TOP of deck] that would still allow room for extra paddle, or my feet on a lazy lounge day to slide forward. Probably overly ambitious. :thumbup:

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:52 am

http://www.outdoorplay.com/Wildwasser-O ... Float-Bags" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check these out. These are what we have in our crossover boats. They are what Deuce referred to.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:48 pm

Deuce & Nimrod - Thanks. This may be the direction I end up going if I can't design something better. NIce idea having the storage built in.

Social Media