Buffalo River "HELP"

Recreational and touring boaters

Jesse Jefferson
Name: Jesse

Buffalo River "HELP"

Post by Jesse Jefferson » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Hello,

My name is Jesse Jefferson. I am the owner of Buffalo River Canoes at the corner of Kyles Landing and Highway 74 on the Upper District of the Buffalo National RIver.

We need public input on the reduced services and "give us a hand" campaign the park has launched whereas they will no longer be picking up trash at the access points. I certainly cannot speak for all concessioners, but it worries me significantly about the potential long term ramifications this could have on the park.

Here is the link to the "Give us a hand" http://www.nps.gov/buff/planyourvisit/g ... a-hand.htm

Here is the link to the closed/reduced services table for 2014 http://www.nps.gov/buff/planyourvisit/f ... ations.htm

And finally here is the link to the comment form http://www.floatthebuffalo.com at the bottom of the page.

I know we need public input in the worst way. If you have the time, all the people who cherish the Buffalo River as a destination will appreciate you taking time out of your busy day to help preserve the river. Whether you agree or not, please let the National Park Service know how you feel. You will be heard.

Imagine pulling up to an access and seeing a pile of trash left by a visitor who didn't "Give us a hand". Without having rangers at every access, you will begin to see this regularly I believe. We as concessioners will be responsible for our customers trash.

Thanks,
Jesse

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Re: Buffalo River "HELP"

Post by Cowper » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:04 pm

Wow. I'm sure that they are facing some difficult issues, but the idea of closing toilets and telling large numbers of visitors at common access points to just go dig cat holes is such a giant step backwards that it is almost beyond my comprehension. Removing trash cans is also just asking for trouble. Yes, I'll send them some comments.

Here's a direct link to the form Jesse mentioned.

http://www.floatthebuffalo.com/BuffaloR ... ntForm.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:00 am

Thanks for posting, Jesse. Like Cowper said, hard to imagine.
Hard to imagine a scout troop from Texas packing out their trash after a week camping or the church group from Oklahoma having to use the "vault" toilet or digging holes prior to launching. :confused:

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:04 am

This seems to me to be another example of bureaucratic setting behind a desk probably in Washington DC decision making with no idea of the problems execution of that decision will create.

None the less, We all need to do what we can to make the damage as minimal as we can.

I hope I am wrong, but my first thought is, this is another instance of making it as hard as they can on the general public when the bureaucrats don't get all the money they want from the taxpayers. :confused:

By the way, my bet is it will be more than Texas Scout Troops or Oklahoma Church groups leaving trash and poop behind. Like the ACC groups, Boy Scouts and Church groups are more likely to carry out trash and poop than many others enjoying the river.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:29 am

Wow. The advisory indicates trash pickup will be eliminated at "most" accesses due to the significant expense. A government contract expensive? Say it ain't so. :wht: I wonder if Tony Soprano is available. That troubles me more than the closure of "some" vault toilets, but I'd like to know which "some" they mean.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Ouachitoff
Name: Chris H

Post by Ouachitoff » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:28 am

Very sad to hear about the trash pickup and loss of service. I'll send in a form.
A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.
- English proverb

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:59 am

Well said, Dave. The trash is probably generated to a much greater extent by locals than out of state groups with responsible leaders. Didn't mean to pick on scouts or churches. Those were the first groups that came to mind.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:20 pm

Tim, no problem.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:15 pm

I think we are all on the same page on this one. Very bad management decisions and the river will suffer.

hilbili
Name: jeff benefield

Post by hilbili » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:43 pm

I'm curious about the # of fed employees assigned to the BNR. % in enforcement ...admin...
for every 50,000 removed from operations remove an admin salary too - if we're interested in savings.
:confused: :confused: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
tell'em Goober says "hey"!

Owl

Post by Owl » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:42 pm

Of equal or greater concern to me than the trash and toilet issues is that most of the campgrounds will only be open mid-March through mid-September.

The Ponca to Pruitt section of the river includes a lot of great hiking trails. Prior to or after hiking, I've often camped at one of the upper-river campgrounds in the winter, early spring, or late fall. Even though an area is open for day use and river access, will citations be issued if one spends the night and is discovered? Will Rangers make sure everyone is out of the access points by dark?

I think the NPS needs to rethink some of this...

Gtombridge
Name: Gary

Post by Gtombridge » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:04 pm

I am with you 100% on this issue. I sent a response to the river Supt. and I am enlisting the support of my other canoe club the Ozark Mtn Paddlers in Springfield to push back against this issue. Need to rally a lot of ACC members to provide input.

Social Media