CURRENT RIVER AREA Oct 12 - 17

Recreational and touring boaters
adaviss
Name: Ann Davis

Re: CURRENT RIVER AREA Oct 12 - 17

Post by adaviss » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Louis-I am not familiar with some of the alternative rivers you suggested but I don' do Class II-my paddling skills are still slow and I don't want to get into trouble.. also, Isn't the Eleven Point in the middle of a Nat'l Forrest? i am thinking the roads might all be blocked. I will wait and hope for the best as I didn't get to go last yr. ann

Louiscov
Name: Louis Covington

Post by Louiscov » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:04 pm

The alternate streams are mostly class I like the Current with a few class II's maybe. I'll email you some links to them Friday, Ann.

WE'LL POST A FINAL PLAN ON MONDAY. An alternate schedule would probably be based mainly on Missouri's Big Piney, which would be a quick drive over to the Current if that becomes available during the week and offer a couple of new streams to explore. I've sent an email to everyone who had expressed interest in the trip, so if you're reading this and didn't get an email from me please post here or send a PM. Thanks
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Wind In the Willows

"I am haunted by waters." A River Runs Through It

louis covington

Al Donaldson

Post by Al Donaldson » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Louiscov wrote:

The alternate streams are mostly class I like the Current with a few class II's maybe. I'll email you some links to them Friday, Ann.

See: http://www.missouricanoe.org/map.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and select the river you want. These maps are old and outdated, but some of the info is good.

On another topic:
Right now there isn't enough water (100 cfs at Montauk is good enough for light tandem canoes, but the current reading of 43 cfs is a bit low for any boat) to run the Upper Current (even if it reopens.) But if it gets some water and if it reopens, there is another access about a mile and a half above Baptist Camp (Tan Vat) which actually decreases shuttle mileage.

Tan Vat Coordinates: N37°27.006' , W91°39.659'

Regards,

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
alandonaldson@cfu.net
(319) 277-3194

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:27 am

I'm definitely up for the Big Piney even if the Current is open for bidness. While I'm thinking of it, my digits are five01951eight63five.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Louiscov

Post by Louiscov » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:03 am

Our group will be staying on Missouri's Big Piney River at Boiling Springs Resort campground Friday - Sunday night, maybe Monday. No reservations needed for tent camping. Hoping the Current will open up since we're only 45 minutes away from Akers. At some point Monday evening or Tuesday we'll move down to Twin Bridges on the North Fork to get in paddling on Bryant's Creek, the North Fork, probably the Eleven Point.
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Wind In the Willows

louis covington

Al Donaldson

Brief Situation Report: CURRENT RIVER AREA Oct 12 - 17

Post by Al Donaldson » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:42 am

Folks:

All is well up north in Southern MO. The group has paddled two days on the Big Piney River and one on the Norfork. Water level has been minimal, but we're getting a good soaker this morning, and the upper reaches of some of the streams will likely be deep enough to paddle by this afternoon. Attendance: most of the Waco area, a few AR paddlers and LA folks and two lost yankees.

Good fun.

Louis will likely post a real report after Thursday.

Regards,

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
alandonaldson@cfu.net
(319) 277-3194

WPC
Name: Diane

Post by WPC » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:15 pm

Waco adders still on the road home. Had a good paddle on the Eleven Point from Greer to Turner South on Thursday and on the North Fork of the white from Hammond to Blair on Friday. Had a great time and looking forward to the next one.

See ya on the water,
Waco Paddle Club
Diane, Anne aka Aggie Anne, Sue, Bob aka Waco Bob, Lloyd, Pam O, Pam L, Glenda, Dorothy

Louiscov

Post by Louiscov » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:09 am

This was another SUPER fall paddle trip to southern Missouri, with MOVING WATER, fall colors and temps, awesome paddling buddies. Over the week we had 21 paddlers from four states. Most liked the North Fork the best (more volume, bouncier waves); a few, including me, liked Missouri's Big Piney River the best (twisty, narrow, almost no pools, a stream for finesse and boat control). Everyone's second favorite was Bryant Creek, a blend of the two with the best scenery. Temps were in the low 40's at night, upper 60's daytime. We had light rain four nights after midnight but it quit each day in time to paddle rainless. Water was ABOVE SEASONAL in all streams.

Big Piney: 175 cfs, 2.7 feet. We camped at Boiling Springs and I LOVED this intimate, narrow, remote stream. Paddled Sandy Shoals to Boiling Springs day one, Boiling Springs to Mason Bridge day two. This is a top target stream for me to paddle again with enough water to go higher up. This level is the lowest practical for this stretch.

North Fork: 400 fs, 2.55 feet. Camped at Twin Bridges. Nice new owners here. Paddled Hebron to Twin Bridges first, narrow and technical with come challenging rootballs in bends. Don't try this stretch at lower water, but with more water I'd begin higher up for sure. A nice technical run. Second day there was a afternoon (after rain) short paddle from Blair Bridge to Hwy PP bridge. Good flow and wave trains. Last day paddled Twin Bridges to Hammond Camp Access after the govt. re-opened it.

Bryant Creek: 175 cfs 2.7 ft. Paddled Sycamore access to Warren bridge access. Beautiful brilliant sunny day, temp 47 putting in at 9:00. More eddy opportunities than North Fork, short pools with fast drops, best scenery. I'd like to go higher up on this one too. After we completed this we drove a few miles to the North Fork and paddled Blair Bridge to Hwy PP again.

Great to get to paddle more with good friends as well as make some new ones from Iowa,Texas, Arkansas.

louis covington

WPC

Post by WPC » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:28 am

I will have photos from our paddles posted later this week. Thanks again to Louis for organizing another fantastic trip!!! I have already started looking at dates for spring and fall paddles in 2014. Can't get here fast enough.

Diane

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:40 am

I had a great time and only regretted not being able to stay longer. That just means next year there will be more new sights and water for me.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:30 pm

Louis,

That was just a great report! For those of us who didn't join in this year, we'll certainly look forward to next year!

Best Regards
Jim

WPC

Post by WPC » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:20 pm

The remaining Waco crew drove over to paddle the Eleven Point River on Thursday (375 cfs, .92 ft). We put in at Greer Springs @ Hwy 19 and paddled to Turner Springs South Access. Water levels were fair but like all of the others, more would have been better. Near the end a small rock garden had some fun spots to catch eddy’s and a cave river right had a couple of paddlers hike up to the entrance.

On Friday, we ended up paddling 10.2 miles on the North Fork from Hammond (North Fork Access) to Blair Bridge on Friday (400 cfs). Just around the corner from the launch we stopped to enjoy the beauty of the Blue Spring. By then, the paddlers with paddling.net group caught up with us so we had an opportunity to visit with some of them as we made our way down river. Met paddlers from Illinois, Minnesota, Tennessee, Louisiana and a lot more from Texas. I had forgotten that Rainbow Spring was on private land with a crossing built across the river. Still had pretty good flow entering the river. Below here, there were more places to practice catching eddies and ferrying. The Falls (2-3 ft rock ledge) was pretty boney, but we all made it thru upright. Only saw one canoe miscalculate the rocks and took a swim.

LONG drive home Saturday after 7 days of paddling, but well worth it!!

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:02 am

The 2/3 of Clan Crawford that made this trip thoroughly enjoyed the paddling and the company. :yahoo: Great days paddling and great campfires in the evening. Gonna have to make this fall outing a regular event on our calendar. :crossed:

Deuce and I paddled the same section of the same river at the same time on the same day and neither of us swam. What is the world coming to. On a side note; Deuce did have an out of boat experience on the Eleven Point. I have heard his story now gotta get Paul's side. Somehow it was my fault becuase we were paddling in the same state at the same time, hmmmmmm....... :confused:
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

Jetlab67
Name: Paul

Post by Jetlab67 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:23 pm

Chris -
I don't even know where to start with this one...I can say a that Boy Scout troop from Mississippi, having just experienced a mishap themselves (and perhaps earning a merit badge in the process), kindly directed my undisclosed paddling companion in a purplish canoe (or was it lavender...) to safe passage through a tree-choked chute. Due to inattention or perhaps bravado he ignored their frantic gesturing. What followed was a classic broach, an epic swim and a perfectly thrown rope (not like the time below Steel Creek). The only casualty was a Rastafarian-looking water bottle. After recovering and getting on downstream I grew weary of his audible analysis of "I think I know what I did wrong" or "my boat was a barge" or the old standby "I was using the wrong paddle" and "let's just keep this between us". After and hour or so you'd think he'd been over it but no, it continued around the campfire through the night and into our second day. Just when I thought he had the whole matter behind him we caught up with the scouts at Boze Mill Springs. When he saw his water bottle he filled with joy and had to replay the incident for the entire troop. I noticed the Scout Masters raising eyebrows in apparent disbelief or pity. I honestly couldn't tell which it was. It pains me to break my silence although I don't remember actually acknowleding his pleas not to discuss it. You know I think the world of both of you and I wouldn't want any misconceptions arising between you so I just had to tell it as I remember. Some of the details are a bit fuzzy and I'm not saying I'm completely accurate but there you have it.
Paul
Paul Smith

Getting lost is never a waste of time - Jack Johnson

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:33 am

Hmmmm. There appear to be some, ahem, inconsistencies and perhaps an omission or two. Not to put on too fine a point, but perhaps I can clarify things a bit. As I recall, the Scouts in question had advised our party that a flip was imminent. Mr. Smith retorted that "we would show them how to do it", thereby sealing my fate. I do however concur that his rope throw was impeccable, as was my gear securing methodology. A lesser man might articulate additional quibbles with the aforementioned account, but I choose to take the high road, or is that high water? :confused: In any case, though he did lead me down the path, or is that chute? :confused:, of destruction, I have Mr. Smith to thank for what is probably my favorite overnight float to date and I hope he and his LL XP10T will lead or accompany me on many more.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Social Media