BUFFALO RIVER FISHING TIPS NEEDED

Recreational and touring boaters

Louiscov
Name: Louis Covington

BUFFALO RIVER FISHING TIPS NEEDED

Post by Louiscov » Sun May 05, 2013 8:14 pm

This coming Friday-Saturday, May 10 -11 I'm taking a father and son on their first trip to the Buffalo. The 13 year old son wants to do lots of fishing. Anybody got recommendations for sections, lures, etc? I was thinking of an overnight from Carver to Woolum. Or if they decide to hike half a day Friday then base camp somewhere and fish Mt. Hershey to Woolum Saturday and a paddle a shorter section like Hasty to Carver or even Steele Creek to Kyles Friday after a morning hike.

Whatcha got on this? Thanks so much, what a treat for me to get to introduce them to paddling and the Buffalo.

louis c
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Wind In the Willows

"I am haunted by waters." A River Runs Through It

louis covington

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: BUFFALO RIVER FISHING TIPS NEEDED

Post by Deuce » Sun May 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Really don't need a whole lot. Spinning rig spooled with six pound mono and a sack of tubes (some call them Gitzits) and jig heads will get the job done. Green pumpkin is always a good bet. Crawfish colors are good too. Cast them into chunk rock pockets, slow eddies, etc. and just let them lay there then slowly retrieve letting them bounce bottom. If he wants to fish faster small crank baits like the Rebel crawfish patterns are effective too. Wish I could be up there. Y'all have fun!
You come too.
Robert Frost

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Mon May 06, 2013 9:32 am

What Deuce said plus, we have had good success with beetle spins of various darker colors. Crawfish looking baits are always good seems like. If the pools are moving really slow I sometimes use jerk baits like a Rogue or Rapala.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

SSS12
Name: Steven

Post by SSS12 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:25 pm

A spinning reel, 6lb line and a brown or green Rebal tinydad. This has always been a good combo for bream in the moving water and for smallmouth in the slower water around the shoreline, downed trees and below rapids. A lot of guys use brown tubes but I haven't had a lot of luck with them.

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Mon May 06, 2013 5:14 pm

I've had luck over the years with the aforementioned Rebel Weecraw with orangish colors and with Wordens Rostertails (Firetiger being my favorite). Both can usually be found at any Wal-Mart. I use 4# line and light action rods. YMMV.

Louiscov
Name: Louis Covington

Post by Louiscov » Mon May 06, 2013 8:10 pm

What a SUPERB group we have here on the ACC message board!!!

Thanks so much to Luke (Deuce), Chris (AR-Nimrod), SSS12, Canoe_Codger for the great advice. Clear concensus for 4 - 6 lb line, wee crawdads. plus some tube/beetle spins. Hope to see Luke and Chris again soon, hope to meet SSS12 and Canoe_Codger on the river soon. Appreciate so much you helping make this family's first father/son paddling experience extra special!!! The dad is a recently retired vet with severe knee injuries and some head issues from an IED while serving on Bosnia/Kosovo.

If any of you get free maybe we can paddle June 28 - 30 on the Spring & Eleven Point; or Oct 12 - 16 on the Current and Jack's Fork.
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Wind In the Willows

"I am haunted by waters." A River Runs Through It

louis covington

R_Corter
Name: Randy Corter

Post by R_Corter » Tue May 07, 2013 2:28 pm

Purchase a throw net. Catch live slicks(if you don't know what a slick is you will when ya pick one up) from the river. Fish with a small hook, small split shot and slip sinker. Slicks our the best bait you can get. You will often catch Ozark shiners, they too are good bait. A minnow trap also works well, but a throw net will catch them when you need them or as needed. Bigger the minnow bigger the fish, I've never seen a slick too big to fish with!!! Use the throw net above or below shoals in the shallows on gravel where minnows can be seen. Stay away from big rocks in swift water with the net!!!
The Buffalo Flows

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Wed May 08, 2013 10:37 am

R_Corter wrote:Purchase a throw net. Catch live slicks(if you don't know what a slick is you will when ya pick one up) from the river. Fish with a small hook, small split shot and slip sinker. Slicks our the best bait you can get. You will often catch Ozark shiners, they too are good bait. A minnow trap also works well, but a throw net will catch them when you need them or as needed. Bigger the minnow bigger the fish, I've never seen a slick too big to fish with!!! Use the throw net above or below shoals in the shallows on gravel where minnows can be seen. Stay away from big rocks in swift water with the net!!!
Whoa. Old school. I like it! This would be GREAT for a youngster.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Wed May 08, 2013 3:25 pm

Just make sure to throw them back and eat bugers instead. 1/16 oz jig with a 4" pumpkin seed Zoom lizard has worked well for my son. Effective, cheap if you lose them. I usually bite the head of the lizard off before putting it on the jig.

wally

Post by wally » Wed May 08, 2013 8:46 pm

Hey Tim, that's my secret. I use 6 inch lizards and bite off the head. seem to work well. small crayfish crank bait also good this time of year. caught a smallie yesterday and when I fileted it, his stomach was swollen and full of whole crayfish.
wally
White Tundra with a Green Mohawk on top.

Social Media