INFO NEEDED: Erbie, Piney, Cadron

Recreational and touring boaters

Louiscov
Name: Louis Covington

INFO NEEDED: Erbie, Piney, Cadron

Post by Louiscov » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Hi gang:

Getting to spend 6 days paddlin' in Arkansas beginning Saturday and got three questions since I'll be away from the computer. I can read posts on my cell but hate typing on it.

ERBIE: Is it open as a takeout and can vehicles be left there overnight?

BIG PINEY: If there's water we'd like to paddle it Wednesday or Thursday. Any comments on the lowest you'd run Heltons to Long Pool, we don't mind a litte dragging. Is Moore's doing shuttling on this part? I guess I could call them.

CADRON: Never been on it but would like to maybe Thursday. A quick summary on which levels would be better for which stretch would really be helpful.

DOING A LOW WATER SATURDAY-SUNDAY ON THE MULBERRY staying at Turner Bend.

BUFFALO PONCA TO KYLES MONDAY camping at Kyles Sun - Tues,
maybe Kyles - Erbie Tuesday if the weather isn't as bad as forecast, otherwise hiking Tuesday.

Then Piney/Cadron/Kings Wed-Thur.

Thanks to everyone for being a great resource and an AWESOME GROUP OF PADDLERS!!!
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Wind In the Willows

"I am haunted by waters." A River Runs Through It

louis covington

nathan richard
Name: nathan

Re: INFO NEEDED: Erbie, Piney, Cadron

Post by nathan richard » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:36 am

Erbie is open as an access, and i bet you can leave vehicles, but i'm not positive.

i would just call Moore Outdoors before you head to the piney and ask them about the creek. The do shuttles from Helton's to Longpool

Waterman
Name: John Fletcher

Post by Waterman » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:10 am

Louis - Moore Outdoor lists 3.0 as the minimum for above Heltons. I have never floated Heltons below 3.0, so I cannot tell you for sure. However, I have floated above Heltons many times, and there are a few stretches with a similar gradient to the Heltons run, and at 2.5 it is still an enjoyable float.

You should call Moore Outdoor to make sure. they are the experts.

Hope you have a great trip. John
John Fletcher

You never step into the same river twice.

Carroll Birge

Post by Carroll Birge » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:25 am

The Moore's minimum of 3 feet comes from their on Gage, which reads about 5 to 6 tenths higher than the Internet Gage. So 2.5 on Internet Gage roughly equals 3 at Moores.
Carroll
cbirge

Cadron Boy
Name: John Svendsen

Post by Cadron Boy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:52 am

When the Cadron Is good to go (2.5 feet plus) it's good to go from Highway 124 bridge all the way down to Highway 285 (Mallettown) with the stretch between Batesville Mountain / Pinnacle Springs to Highway 65 offering the greatest concentration of "play waves". General recommendations:

Below 1.4 feet -- nah, look elsewhere.

1.4 to 1.7 feet -- you'll get by and have a good time but you're going to hit a few rocks and you're not going to be doing much surfing.

1.8 to 2.2 feet -- respectable, nothing to write home to mom about but you can find a few nice waves to play and have a thoroughly enjoyable time

2.2 to 3.0 feet -- now we're talking, most of the shoals will offer an assortment of eddies and waves to play, generally considered by most to be "just right"...

3.0 to 4.0 feet -- now I'm excited, this is putting Cadron Creek near its prime for the intermediate paddler who is looking to surf... Today's Level: 3.75 feet!!

4.0 to 6.5 feet -- I'm taking off work

Above 6.5 feet -- an acquired taste -- 'tis a river in flood but it offers a lot of thrills especially the pourover at Cathedral Rock.

Lastly if Cadron goes 3+ feet you can usually find other streams in the vicinity also offering near optimal conditions: South Fork and Archey Fork of Little Red, Cove Creek, East Fork of Cadron, Hogan's Creek, etc.

wally

Post by wally » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Louis,
Went past Erbie Tuesday and ther were cars at the putin parking lot.
Wally
White Tundra with a Green Mohawk on top.

Roger

Post by Roger » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:01 pm

No access points are closed on the Buffalo, but bathroom facilities are another matter. Make sure you have the necessary items to handle/dispose of human waste when the doors are locked!

Sight gauge at Long Pool is what Moore's uses for their levels. It reads .4-.7 higher than 164 gauge depending on water levels.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:58 pm

CB , thanks for that detailed breakdown!
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Louiscov
Name: Louis Covington

Post by Louiscov » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Here's a BIG THANK YOU for all who posted info.

We had a great five days of paddling. Sat - Sun (20 - 21) on the Mulberry at 2.6, High Bank to Turner Bend; Big Eddy to Campbell's. Had sun and low 60's each afternoon after coolish mornings and 34 degree nights. I love the Mulberry at 2.5 - 3, technical (which I like) yet waves and surfing opportunities. Then 2 days Ponca down at 22 in, low but no problems, dogwoods blooming. 8 paddlers from 5 states, all met through this board. Piney too low so Wednesday I found a way to get on the South Fouche a few miles above Hwy 7 at 3.25. Ended up at (I think) Sheppards Ford. A very pretty, intimate, overhung-with-trees stream, clear water. Really shallow, some wading, lots of "turtle" paddling, switching sides with horizontal strokes. So peaceful and quiet. I just loved the stream. Want to do Sheppard's Ford to Hwy 7 sometime but not leave a vehicle at the put in. Anybody have any experience on a day's float above Hwy 7?
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Wind In the Willows

"I am haunted by waters." A River Runs Through It

louis covington

Social Media