New guy - first canoe purchase

Recreational and touring boaters
MacNobody

New guy - first canoe purchase

Post by MacNobody » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:15 pm

I am looking for a canoe to paddle the river and lakes to get to fishing and camping spots. I am not interested in going fast down whitewater or anything like that.

I have a workmate who is selling a 15.5' aluminum "Fisher" canoe with flat stern and a trolling motor for $400. If I get this one, will I need to register the canoe or anything? I have never had a boat at all.

What should I look for in the bargain? Basically, is an aluminum boat what I need or should I be looking to spend more and get a newer plastic canoe?

It will be me and my 13 year old son mostly.

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: New guy - first canoe purchase

Post by Deuce » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:52 pm

You will need to register it if you plan to use a trolling motor. I have a Ouachita flat back that size and a 2.5 Merc. I rarely use it because I also have a sixteen foot tandem canoe that I like much better. It's more comfortable, has greater carrying capacity and versatility and is more maneuverable. I'm guessing the max capacity on that Fisher is around 600 pounds total, so by the time you get you and your son, a trolling motor and battery and your camping gear aboard you'll be pretty full. Since it has a keel you wouldn't want to take it anywhere that requires quick maneuvers, especially when loaded. If you envision a lot of time on moving water you'd probably be better off with a Royalex boat. Should be able to find a sixteen footer for the same price if you do decide to go that way. Hope that helps.
You come too.
Robert Frost

MacNobody

Post by MacNobody » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:57 pm

Thank you.

Where are good places online to research/buy?

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:31 pm

Keep your eye on the for sale section on here. There's also a website called paddleswap.com that will allow you to scan multiple listings in your area, and paddle shops and river outfitters often have used boats for sale.
You come too.
Robert Frost

fzburk
ArkMoTenn Chapter President
Name: Mark

Post by fzburk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:51 am

I don't know your location, but here's one on Craigslist.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/boa/3655482150.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark
SYOTW

MaryRutherfurd2

Post by MaryRutherfurd2 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:05 pm

Doxies love to canoe too

MacNobody

Post by MacNobody » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:17 pm

I found a barely used Mad River Explorer 16' for $300.

Good deal or pass? Looks like it is in great shape, there are no scratches or cracks. Friend of mine bought it but they have only had it out of their under-house crawl space twice since purchasing it.

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:22 pm

I would jump on it at that price. If it is the 16TT, it will likely be a 82# polyethelyne hull with foam core. It should serve you well for your purposes, particularly at that pricepoint. If it is a 16LT it will be a 20# lighter royalex hull. There is also AU model, but I doubt anyone would sell the composit Amarid Ultralite model for that. It is 20# lighter still.

MacNobody

Post by MacNobody » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:35 pm

Ok, I will go ahead and tell them I want it.

I am going to make a canoe rack out of PVC for my shortbed Dodge Dakota, my son and I are pretty excited about getting on teh water :D

Canoe_Codger

Post by Canoe_Codger » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:03 pm

Sounds like a super deal to me. I wish I could run across a deal like that. I frequently chickeneye back yards and sheds looking for such bargains when driving backroads. As with a lot of sports, quite a few people get into canoeing but quickly lose interest and their forgotten white elephant sits waiting for someone to recognize it's potential. My best efforts have been in finding people upgrading to more refined and expensive canoes as I hope to do before too long.

I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with using PVC to make a rack for your truck. I converted a Karavan jet ski trailer last year into a canoe hauler.

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:13 am

Great choice! I didn't mention it because I didn't want to sway you, but that's what I have. I can't think of a better boat for what you want to do. I love camping and fishing out of mine; holds tons of gear, is very stable, and handles pretty well for a boat that size. And $300 in that condition? That's a screamin' deal IMO whether it's poly or royalex. As your paddling skills develop you'll appreciate it more and more, which brings me to my next point. Recreational paddling school is coming up (5/31 - 6/2 as I recall) on the Spring river. I strongly encourage you to join the ACC and sign up for it. I guarantee it will be the best 95 bucks ($25 for family membership and $70 for school) you ever spent. If your son is at least fourteen he can be your tandem partner. Before you go to the trouble of fabricating a PVC rack check out of the shelf options. I think there are a few cost effective setups available for pickups.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Canoe_Codger

Post by Canoe_Codger » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:19 am

If your truck has rain gutters, I still have a Quick-n-easy rack for sale cheap.
http://forums.arkansascanoeclub.com/vie ... =2&t=23095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But a steel behind the cab ladder rack might suit you better.

MacNobody

Post by MacNobody » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:13 am

Alright alright alright here she is...
You can see the PVC rack we built too. Needs some tweaking - it has too much left-right movement for my comfort. I think once I can strap the front down and not just strapped over the middle it may cure that.

Canoe_Codger

Post by Canoe_Codger » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:51 pm

Congrats on the "new" canoe! Yeah, bow and stern tiedowns might help "wiggle". :thumbup:

RiverRummer
Name: BUH

Post by RiverRummer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:00 pm

Congrats on the boat. that was a great price, and you will like it much better than the aluminum one. But I gotta say, even though it looks like great work.... I don't think a pvc rack is strong enough. and the way it is tied down leaves room for it to slide off to the side and then off. (Highway speeds and wind). straps are usually just outside of each gunwhale on the crossbar. But I wouldn't trust it while on the highway.( probably not the city either)
There are many options for your truck from yakima or thule, or making your own, and there's always the trailer option.
and like others have said look here for used gear and ebay often has good deals on racks.
Plus if you have any questions just ask on here. there are many knowledgeable people on here always happy to help.
Im thinking of copying the (yakima) outdoorsman 300 design, adapting it to attach to the deck rail system of my tacoma. I did this for my yakima racks ( made for an Ford Escape ) to keep from buying new racks. but now have longer boats and need to be above the cab.
Just come on here and ask, whether it's about a boat, a rack, a river, or camping gear, river info. just about anything paddling related.
Sorry to be a :myday" but I would hate to see that canoe go flying off the truck and possibly cause an accident.

Social Media