New guy - first canoe purchase

Recreational and touring boaters
Randy Dodson

Re: New guy - first canoe purchase

Post by Randy Dodson » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:05 am

check out the Spring Creek, One Tuff Truck Rack. very adjustable, easily removable, no holes to drill
Parrot Head Paddler

MacNobody

Post by MacNobody » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:59 am

Yep, a four mile trip with that rack was uncomfortably shaky, so it serves to keep the canoe off the ground in my back yard. I am looking for something else

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:56 am

There are quite a few alternatives, depending on how much you want to spend. An iron contractor's ladder rack can be found if you keep your eyes open, often for around $100-150. A single behind the cab bar works, though it isn't ideal.

This converted boat trailer is what inspired me to convert the PWC trailer. I have less in it than a lot of the truck racks cost and it lets me keep PFDs and other equipment loaded and ready to go.

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:07 am

Hey, it was worth a shot, right? The cheapest solution would probably be a receiver mounted "goal post". They're available at Academy et al for seventy bucks or so. A little wobbly, but they're plenty secure if everything is strapped/tied down correctly. The front of the boat can just rest on your roof. Gunwale pads or a cannibalized pool noodle will protect your paint sufficiently. Honestly though, I'm with Codger that your best bet if you can swing it would be a ladder rack type setup.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:53 am

Well at least he has a cool yard rack now. You see the treated wood sawhorses (previous page) I made for the purpose before I built the trailer. I still use the foam gunnel blocks when I have to carry a canoe on my Impala. I am split between spending the money on a roof rack or a trailer hitch for the car. Costs are about the same, around two bills.

As to the ladder rack, a lot of trucks go to the salvage yard with them so you may well pick one up cheap. If it is the wrong size (LWB instead of SWB or wrong width), a small welding shop will cut and weld it down to fit pretty cheap. Then it just needs some sanding and paint. There are some really nice factory racks out there that are easily installed and removed, but the costs get on up there.

Check out one like this on Craigslist in Heber Springs:
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/pts/3642088765.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adjustable, easy on and off, $250.

onewhopaddles

Post by onewhopaddles » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:55 am

The 422XT Rack by Thule is the best thing for pickups IMO. Only problem is they ain't cheap. I searched hard all over the country for a used one for about a year and ended up finding smoking deal on Ebay on an new one in old inventory. Here is the pitch:

Multi-height adjustable truck rack for hauling sports equipment
Low position lets you easily load and unload bikes, skis, and other gear
Upper position is ideal for hauling canoes, kayaks, and other watercraft
Durable aluminum frame leaves truck bed open for added storage
One Key lock system secures your gear; lifetime warranty

I figure its worth it for the long haul but its an up front investment. It fits my Chevy great but Tundras and a few others need adapters. Plus you can take it off in about 20 min if you need it off or just remove the cross bars in 2 min.

onewhopaddles

Post by onewhopaddles » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:59 am

Maybe this will work!

Social Media