What Fishing Kayak do you like?

Recreational and touring boaters
robkanraft

What Fishing Kayak do you like?

Post by robkanraft » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:47 pm

What's your favorite fishing kayak? Any feedback on Native Ultimate 12's?

Jim Krueger

Re: What Fishing Kayak do you like?

Post by Jim Krueger » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:51 pm

I do my kayak-fishing from my 2003 model 12' Perception Acadia. It's a standard, sit-in type kayak that I really like for fishing, lake-touring, and most moving water up to class II, when I'm fishing the pools or doing photography.
One of my friends selected the Native Ultimate 12' earlier this year and we've been together on several trips on the Lower Caddo, Lower Ouachita, Lower Lake Degray, and the Remmel Dam to Rockport float on the Ouachita. The Native is a very well-built boat, and not inexpensive. I like many of it's features for durability, stability, and comfort. It even comes with an extra seat so it may be used as a solo or tandem boat.
What I don't care for so much about boats like the Native 12' model versus my Acadia is the weight, exposure to splash and the elements, and harder turning characteristics. The Native kayaks have really short sides and can ship a lot of water running waves over a foot tall. This summer my friend and I ran the Remmel float, once with just him, and it did just fine, then another trip with his wife along. On the tandem trip, the Native filled with water in the rapids on the first 1/2 mile, then completely submarined the Ledge at the end.
I like my sit-in variety kayak the best for the reasons mentioned, and also the ability to use a spray skirt when needed. I still like the quality of construction of the Natives but would go for the 10' model for myself if I were going to have one.
If you're going to only fish flatwater, either of the Native models would do very well but my choice for more moving water trips is the shorter model.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Jim

robkanraft

Post by robkanraft » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:05 am

Thanks Jim, I like the looks of the Native as I prefer to be “in” the boat as opposed to on top of it. Submarining through shoals is definitely not a good thing though! I was thinking I liked the bow cover option to stash extra tackle, raingear etc, maybe that would help keep water out? This would be mostly a flat water boat as well.
robkanraft(means rob-kansas-rafter)
robert poole

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:18 am

Rob,
It sounds like you really like the looks of the Native, and with the uses you have in mind for it, I'd say go for it. It is a well-made boat and I don't think you'll be dissapointed. When my friend got his, I tried it out for myself, the boat has a much greater degree of stability from side to side than anything I have. This is due to it's 'tunnel hull design'. The native also has a pretty neat 'fold-down' rudder that makes turning easier. As much as I enjoy my fishing rig, I would like to be able to stand up every now and then, something that is very easy in the Native.
Good luck, and give a report on the boat after you have time to use it some.

Jim

P.S. The bow cover might be nice to have but I don't think you'll have the submarining issues very often if you paddle the boat solo.

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:48 am

We like the Native Manta Ray SOT's for fishing. You will get wet in rapids but, no submarining. Dry hatch in bow and large open storage in stern. Super stable and very comfortable boats. We have even camped out of them on the Buffalo.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:01 am

Aly Signorelli has one and I think she really likes it. Might check with her for some beta.
You come too.
Robert Frost

robkanraft

Post by robkanraft » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks all, keep those reccomendations coming! Manta Ray and Jackson Coosa SOT keeps coming up, think I'd rather be somewhat down in a boat than on top of it. But, I could be persuaded...

darkaly
Name: Aly Signorelli

Post by darkaly » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:10 pm

Luke's right, I have an Ultimate 12. We bought it used last spring because I had this silly idea that our dog would like to ride in it. Haha! The dog prefers to swim for miles and miles, and has zero interest in riding with me, which means that the entire boat purchase made no sense at all for our family.

That said: I like it. The Ultimate is SUPER comfortable. The seat practically feels like a recliner. I got tired of sitting still late in the summer and I figured out that I could see better if I stood up to paddle the boat, and I did several Remmel-to-Rockport trips more or less entirely standing up. (I've also paddled it standing on the gunwales - not that it was good for the boat, but I wanted to see if I could do it, and I can.) I can also jump up and down in it, if the need arises. I can't quite paddle it across the ledge at Rockport standing up, but I can ALMOST do it, and it's made for some impressive crashes. Which is all a long way of saying that yes, it seems to be very stable. If I was fishing out of it, I'd absolutely be able to stand up and cast without having any concern that I'd tip the boat.

I paddled the Native on a trash pickup trip this fall, and I thought it worked really well for that, too. The boat doesn't seem to handle much differently with a tire in the back, and it's handy to be able to stand up to cut string out of trees. I've paddled it on Lake Ouachita, for camping trips, and it held whatever I wanted to put in it and did fine on that kind of water (though one day it was very windy with big waves and that was a little worrisome.) (Bonus for camping: the comfy seat comes out easily for use as a camp chair, which for a backpacker like me is a wonderful luxury.) Another little side point is that if you get the version with the "Adapt-a-Trak" you can buy all sorts of add-on things (like bottle holders and rod holders and little velcro pockets) to hold your stuff.

The sides are admittedly a little low, and I've been known to collect water because of that. The only times I've had so much water in the boat that it was un-paddle-able were when I made mistakes going through rapids and got big waves over the front. I've thought about adding the bow and stern covers, but at $100 each, I'm putting it off because I'm honestly not certain it would help a whole lot. There are little minor irritating things about the boat - there's some sort of cleat on the left side that I tend to bang my knuckles on, and there's a ridiculously shallow molded cupholder thing that bothers me because of its sheer uselessness. Also, there's pretty much always water in the channels at the bottom of the boat when I paddle it. It hasn't really been a problem so far, but we'll see how annoyed I'll get about it when it's cold outside. The Native is not super fast, and it doesn't handle all that well, but I don't think those are the things it was designed to do, so it's okay.

Overall, even though I'm not using it as a fishing boat or as a dog-hauler as I'd intended, I've enjoyed having it.

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:41 pm

Rob,

After Aly's post I realized my friend has the 14' solo/tandem model, and the shorter model is the 12' one. My mistake... :crazy: However, my previous personal likes/dislikes comments stand.

Jim

robkanraft

Post by robkanraft » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks Aly, most helpful.

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:07 am

FYI there's someone selling the 14ft model in the For Sale forum.
Bryan Signorelli

plastic worm

Post by plastic worm » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:11 pm

I've owned a ult14.5 for 2 years and it has been a great boat for fishing. I got mine primarily for fishing and camping...I fish from it all day and night sometimes. I mostly use it in slow/flat water but have taken it down the Buffalo and Crooked Creek several times w/o any issues. I use a bow and stern skirt on ozark rivers and they help keep my camping gear dry. All pro's/con's mentioned by others are spot-on. However I own a 16' canoe also and the ultimate handles very well compared to a canoe. It really depends on where you'll fish mostly, rivers or lakes. It's best for lakes and good on rivers. I stand and fish in mine most of the time w/o concern and love that feature most about my ultimate. I looked at SOT's but like to be down in the boat...more like a canoe. I haven't been dissappointed with mine. Good luck in your decision.
Blog@: http://looknfishy.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FB@: https://www.facebook.com/looknfishy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IG@: https://instagram.com/looknfishy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

robkanraft

Post by robkanraft » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:41 pm

I'm still on the fence, but leaning toward the Ultimate 12 with a bow cover. Mostly day trips, slow, non technical water and a fly rod.

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:16 pm

I would say that you would actually have a higher center of gravity in the Native. That would give you more of an "on top" felling than many SOTs. The issue with SOTs is that they tend to be a fairly wet ride.

I'm sad to hear that the Natives have that "issue." I had wanted one for a while. Looks like I'm sticking with the MR Adventure for now. (Buffalo cruiser)

Have you considered a small solo canoe? Paddle it with a kayak paddle if you want.
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

robkanraft

Post by robkanraft » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:42 pm

So, I got an olive green Ultimate 12, camo hatch covers and a 240 mm angled paddle from Ozark Mountain Trading Company in Garfield. B.J. Heilman at the shop was super helpful, and has huge selection of rec and touring kayaks from several manufacturers on the floor. Thumbs up on my shopping experience.

Spent a few hours on a small lake today with the boat. Mine is a 2012 model, it doesn’t have the cleat or cup holder issue Aly spoke of. My paddle technique left a little water in the boat, nothing my sponge couldn’t handle. With improved technique, the paddle’s drip rings will keep the water outside. Not the fastest thing in the world, but it was never designed to be, it’s a fishing and loafing boat. Sitting, it is very comfortable with the adjustable seat and you would have to really screw up to overturn it. I managed to stand in it… not pretty but certainly doable. More practice required before I try to stand and double haul a fly rod at the same time. For solo tailwater fishing trips, it should be a fine boat choice.

Side Note. When I was at the shop toward the end of Saturday, there was a large contingent of REC and SOT kayakers hanging out. A lot of them were in Wilderness Systems Commanders. They had been participating in an organized bass fishing tourney for kayakers on Beaver Lake. These folks had boats tricked out with GPS, fish finders, GoPro holders , marker lights etc. They obviously are having a lot of fun with their fishing kayaks.
robkanraft(means rob-kansas-rafter)
robert poole

Social Media