Doctor's release for Eric

Recreational and touring boaters

Eric Esche
Name: Eric Esche

Doctor's release for Eric

Post by Eric Esche » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:31 pm

Just got back from the doctors and I thought I would announce some good news for a change.

Orthopedist has released me to stop wearing the #@$&*(*&%)^&%* sling and for me to start paddleing again, ALTHOUGH SLOWLY and LIGHTLY, but that he thought that paddleing would be in my best interests now as physical therapy, and probably mentally as well. YAHOOOOOOO>>>>>> :yahoo: :clap: :whistle: :wave: :thumbup: :D

Not to say that I am not still in pain daily and nightly and cussing and drinking at times. I am still on a 5 pound maximum weight limit overhead. (he does not know about those maximum sized marine batteries for the trolling motor) It will still take a few months to get back and possibly a year to 100% or as close as I can get, but it is a BIG step back. :yahoo:

Eric Esche

Now to go to the NW chapter meeting to buy a round.

dwilson

Re: Doctor's release for Eric

Post by dwilson » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Maybe with the limitations you will learn how to over night float without the kitchen sink. If there is an art to packing you should be the king cat daddy. Glad ta hear your on the road to recovery. Guess now you can start with some light therapy and dust off all your gizmoos. Good luck.

Al Donaldson

Post by Al Donaldson » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:51 pm

GREAT!
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
alandonaldson@cfu.net
(319) 277-3194

Louiscov
Name: Louis Covington

Post by Louiscov » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:38 am

Eric:

Are you up to a couple of easy days floating on the Current? A group of us will be paddling Oct 13 - 16 and would love to have you join us.

louis covington
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Wind In the Willows

"I am haunted by waters." A River Runs Through It

louis covington

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:45 pm

Eric, that is good news!
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:27 am

You know I'm happy for you, man! :clap:

However, I'm going to refrain from inviting you on any clean-ups for the next few months, because you already showed me you have no self-control the last time we spotted a large tire... :NoNo:

(pot calls kettle black)
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Eric Esche
Name: Eric Esche

Post by Eric Esche » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:07 pm

I really appreciate the congratulations, but it seems they may now be premature.

I'm finding out the hard way that my doctor's release to paddle may have been a tad optimistic. I have spend the last 3 weeks tapering off of 4 years of oxycodone and now am at 6 days of nothing. Yeah, I had some withdrawal symptoms. Do not want to go there again. Can't do what I have done for last several years, medicating to get a job done or to get home
when in pain. Doctor kept saying he did not understand how I could have done everything i have done in last 2 years after seeing the MRI and then after doing the surgery which he said was worse than he had planned for. Legal prescribed pain management and what he says is a very high tolorance for pain, but you can NOT do that forever. Just because you have a very high tolorance for pain does not mean you feel it any less, and with time, it takes it's toll.

Reason I did this was to NOT over do and make it worse with a second surgery. I made great progress in Rehab, but with pain meds. And I have significant bursitus in the shoulder (imflammation). With no meds, I am back about a month's worth of progress. If it hurts, I need to work on it more, but slowly. I do my rehab exercises 6x per day. I am in a world of hurt. Even a seat belt hurts. I will start back paddleing VERY slowly, but do not plan anything with me for a month or two.

Sorry if I was premature in my hopes to paddle soon. Mary has been good about "charity paddles', accompanying me when I went out with a trolling motor and canoe, but she is working many of her days off now due to shortages in staff at her hospital, and winds have been high enough on the lake for me to pass and wait for better conditions on the water and in me.

Not saying I won't still overdo on occasion. Mowed most of yard this afternoon because it was getting too high with chances of rain coming and will have to live with the pain now. Susan gets home from China 10/09 and still putting off putting the clean sheets back on the bed as I know that hurts. Vacuuming a room a day. NOT looking forward to leaf season.

Eric

denergyo6

Post by denergyo6 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:17 am

That's great news Eric, hang there man!

Social Media