SWR with Walter and Marcell

Recreational and touring boaters

Minna Ulmer
Name: minna ulmer

SWR with Walter and Marcell

Post by Minna Ulmer » Mon May 07, 2012 10:54 pm

At the meeting of ACC at WW school dates were announced for these classes. What are they? Was it last wknd of july an second wknd of aug? Thanks, Minna

Steve S
ACC Secretary

Re: SWR with Walter and Marcell

Post by Steve S » Tue May 08, 2012 7:15 am

The July 28-29 SWR Class may be full, but there are still spaces available in the August 11-12 class.

Both will be taught at Camp Couchdale and Rockport (Tanner Street Bridge).
Steve Shepherd

"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." - Jim Whittaker, first American to summit Mt. Everest.

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Tue May 08, 2012 7:23 am

What are the prereq's for taking this class?
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

Steve S
ACC Secretary

Post by Steve S » Tue May 08, 2012 12:05 pm

An adventurous spirit and a willingness to learn.

Seriously, Swiftwater Rescue is more than throwing a rope to a swimmer. It's a way of looking at a situation and determining what should be done.

Although having been on moving water will give you a frame of reference, there is no prerequisite for the class.

During the class, you will be exposed to several different topics: what functions are needed to effect a rescue, the priorities of a rescue, the knots that may be required, the technique for throwing a rope, mechanical advantage, how to handle yourself if you are the one in the water, and recommended safety equipment which every group on the river should carry.

Emphasis will be on quick thinking rather than strength. And all practical exercises are challenge by choice. You will not be asked to do anything that you feel is beyond your capability.
Steve Shepherd

"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." - Jim Whittaker, first American to summit Mt. Everest.

Shep
Name: Paul Shepherd

Post by Shep » Tue May 08, 2012 12:38 pm

I haven't taken a class with Marcell before, but, in general, a willingness to swim in Class II current might be considered a prerequisite for the level 4 SWR classes. I was in a class up in New England where we had a woman who was trying to get a moving water instructor cert, and she definitely felt very uncomfortable dealing with class II water. She made it through just fine in the end, but I think things would have gone smoother if she and the instructors had understood where her comfort level was prior to the class.

Hope this helps,
Paul
Paul Shepherd

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats (said the water rat solemnly)." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

justanovice
Name: Sandy

Post by justanovice » Tue May 08, 2012 8:06 pm

How do I find out if the July class is full? August won't work; I'll already be back in professional development by then. What is the cost? Could my 14 year old daughter take it as well? Any info is helpful. I've been trying to find a SWR course for the summer for quite a while.
Sandy
Sandy S.

Marcell Jones
ACC Canoe School Director

Post by Marcell Jones » Wed May 09, 2012 2:41 pm

The course July 28 & 29 will be posted on the board next week after the details are finalized.
We expect to have 3 slots open for that weekend, but will note the specific number on the post.
Marcell.

14 is within the age limit, but they must be comfortable in Class II water.

Marcell.

Social Media