UPDATES ON GIRL INJURED ON CADDO 5/7

Recreational and touring boaters
johnnybiggun
Name: Mark Hobson

UPDATES ON GIRL INJURED ON CADDO 5/7

Post by johnnybiggun » Sun May 08, 2011 7:52 am

My facebook page is flaming with info.. I'm posting the bottom line info & will try to keep you posted....

URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: The Acorn Science Club went canoeing on the Caddo River today. A boat capsized and Deanna Webster,a 18 year old senior, was pinned between the canoe and a tree. Other boats capsized trying to stop to help her. Deanna Webster has been taken to Children's Hospital in Critical condition

Nathan Bell From Laura Wiles.... Deanna's mom posted around midnight that Deanna has no brain trauma, but they don't know what the extent of being submerged for so long will be yet. She has a tracheal tear, lots of junk in her lungs and they put an arterial port in late last night. Her parentsare grateful for all the prayers and ask everyone to keep praying.

bcthompson
Name: Brian Thompson

Re: UPDATES ON GIRL INJURED ON CADDO 5/7

Post by bcthompson » Sun May 08, 2011 8:06 am

Thank you.

johnnybiggun

Post by johnnybiggun » Sun May 08, 2011 11:07 am

Deanna's Dad, Randy Webster, posted this around 1:30 this morning.

Deanna was involved in a canoe accident on the Caddo river near Glenwood, AR today and was pinned under water for somewhere between 2 and 7 minutes. She was resuscitated at the scene and after a stop at Saint Joseph's in Hot Springs was transfered to Children's Hospital in Little Rock where she is currently in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. Her lungs suffered pretty major damage from inhaling large amounts of river water. She has a tear in her trachea that is allowing air to leak into her chest. And of course she was without oxygen to her brain for at least several minutes. She is on a ventilator and will remain on it until the damage to her lungs heals enough for her to breathe well on her own. Unfortunately we will not know much about how the oxygen loss affected her brain until she comes of the ventilator. They are currently estimating that she will remain in PICU for 2 to 3 weeks which will be followed by a normal hospital stay of unknown length. Please keep her in your prayers. God spared her life today and we want Him to keep watching over her.

Around 8 this morning he posted that they decided to put a chest tube in to relieve the air pressure buildup in Deanna's chest.

Her Mom updated a few hours ago that they put in a chest tube to relieve air pressure outside her lungs inside her chest cavity. Her blood pressure bottomed out until they pushed saline and epi.

They also did an arterial port this morning.

I will let her parents know that the members of the AR Canoe Club are concerned about her. Please feel free to pass this info on to others. Deanna needs all the prayers she can get.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Sun May 08, 2011 11:25 am

Recovery prayers are going out now.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

johnnybiggun

Post by johnnybiggun » Sun May 08, 2011 11:27 am

Just got a copy of the report from the Montgomery County Sheriffs Office... No new information in there other than she was not wearing a life vest at the time of the accident....

adavis
Name: Ann Davis

Post by adavis » Sun May 08, 2011 2:12 pm

Thanks for the post about her condition-we worked hard-I am so glad the nurses were there as they knew more about how to position her and keep her breathing. We never had to do CPR and did not do rescue breathing since she was groaning and spitting up herself. Had no idea about the wound to the trachea- please keep us posted. Ann d

Edgar
Name: Edgar

Post by Edgar » Sun May 08, 2011 6:33 pm

Ann, Jim, Marlo and I arrived minutes after the accident. Ann jumped into action, as did Jim. Marlo directed water traffic to try to avoid another accident, I just tried to stay out of the way since there were plenty of others helping that seemed to know what they were doing. My family and church are praying for Deana. Thank you so much for the update Mark.

Jaytee
Name: Julie

Post by Jaytee » Sun May 08, 2011 8:33 pm

I know I'm preaching to the choir and belaboring the obvious, but if it is true that she was not in a pfd, that just breaks my heart. I mean, it is true that without knowing details, that may or may not have made a difference. But the informal word regarding the drowning on the Mulberry is similar (no lifejacket). It is a recurring theme.

Prayers for her healing and recovery.

Karla
Name: Karla R.

Post by Karla » Sun May 08, 2011 8:37 pm

Praying for her too. Heard about it from Marlo and Jim. I work at Childrens, will try to contact the mom for support too.

Karla

bcthompson
Name: Brian Thompson

Post by bcthompson » Sun May 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Ann,

Not sure if you remember, but I'm the gentleman that helped you get your snickers bar :)

You guys were wonderful. There may have magically been some EMT's and a few nurses there, but the first aid kit, and guidance you folks provided was invaluable. Whomever was in the river directing traffic AWAY from the strainer and to the shore may have saved who knows how many more people from the same fate.

I was a lifeguard manager/trainer for DisneyWorld for three years, and used to run the rescue boats on some of the Disney waterways, and I really was impressed by how well the ACC folks responded.

Wonderful, Wonderful job.

Karla,

I was with a group from Second Baptist Church from downtown Little Rock. I have no clue as to the support network the parents may have here in Little Rock, but if there is any need you might uncover that they need while they are here, please let me know.

Thanks,

Brian
brian.chesley@gmail.com

summerbee

Post by summerbee » Sun May 08, 2011 9:00 pm

The coming days will be telling. May angels surround her and her family.
I'm older and wiser now but when I was her age...well, there but for the grace of God.

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Sun May 08, 2011 11:23 pm

Perhaps the PFD discussion should be on a new thread. Deanna's got a long way to go in her fight, and her parents may read this at some time in the future. It just seems we should restrain ourselves to good wishes, prayers, and support for the family here. Just a thought....
Marlo

johnnybiggun

Post by johnnybiggun » Mon May 09, 2011 5:15 am

>>>UPDATE<<<

Here is Mr. Websters latest post on his daughters condition......

Randy Webster ---Deanna's most immediate danger comes from a tear in her trachea just above where it branches to go to each lung. The hole is allowing air to seep into her chest cavity. A chest tube has been put in to relieve the pressure. She has been chemically immobilized in an attempt to allow this tear to heal naturally and avoid a very dangerous surgical repair.

Randy Webster---- On a good note, Deanna briefly regained consciousness yesterday afternoon. She was able to nod responses to questions, followed an instruction, and looked for and recognized me.

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Mon May 09, 2011 5:39 am

How did the girl eventually get off the tree? Were Jim or other ACC members there in time to help with that part, or was it with the help of other bystanders who were already on scene when the accident happened?

Same question as to transport from the scene to the take-out or other point of exit?

Basically I'm trying to figure out the degree to which any ACC sponsored training figured into improving the outcome, and any lessons-learned NOT for the girl, but for us as potential future rescuers. It sounds like the actions to direct traffic away were an important feature, well done.

But mostly, I'm wishing the best for the girl and hoping for a full recovery.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Karla
Name: Karla R.

Post by Karla » Mon May 09, 2011 6:42 am

Brian,
I use to work in the PICU at Children's. She is in the best place for the best care around. I am so glad to hear she is regaining conscousness. So glad people were able to get to her when they did. If the family needs anything that I can do, let me know 501-680-5595. I will be working Monday through Thursday and will be at the hospital. I may try to check in with the family. I know they must have lot of support and I know that Children's will give them a lot of support while she is there.

Karla

Social Media