Wattensaw Bayou Water Trail - Part Deux - Sunday Oct 25

Recreational and touring boaters

msullivan57

Wattensaw Bayou Water Trail - Part Deux - Sunday Oct 25

Post by msullivan57 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:28 pm

My sister and I plan to float the Wattensaw Water Trail near Hazen on Sunday, Oct 25. We cannot go on Saturday the 24th or we would join the Sierra Club float posted near by. We will be at Tricks Citgo at Exit 193, Hwy 11, Hazen, AR at 9:30 on Sunday. Our wish is to float the entire 7.8 miles if a shuttle can be set up. But if others wanted a shorter trip, ok. Surely such a beautiful day, there will be others. Weather forecast is good. Not to influence anyone who is deciding which day to go, but, it should be two degrees warmer on Sunday. There. And my sister is a lot of fun. Or at least that is what I have heard. If you want more information on the Water Trail, then try this link:

http://www.agfc.com/misc/awt/awt-trails ... ensaw.aspx

Mike

chubs

Re: Wattensaw Bayou Water Trail - Part Deux - Sunday Oct 25

Post by chubs » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:12 am

Be aware, the Wattensaw WMA Muzzleloader Permit hunt is the 24th - 28th.

Not that it will stop you, but if you hear gun fire, don't be surprised.

msullivan57

Post by msullivan57 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:28 pm

Thanks Chubs for the alert. I am not a hunter so I had no idea. After talking to a hunter it seems it would not be a good place to be unless you have on orange hat and vest. The other participant on this trip, my sister, says she does not look good in orange and refuses to wear that tacky color. So in the interest of her safety, trip is canceled. Too bad, I look good in orange.

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:24 am

What are the laws on hunting from boats? (I thought it was not allowed...)

With the White at Des Arc nearing 23 feet, large portions of Wattensaw may be inaccessible to hunters on foot, especially as you near the river and creek channels.

My notes show that:
1) Des Arc was at 19 feet when the signs were placed, so at 23 feet, they will be near water level, or possibly even underwater. The sign at the middle boat ramp, may be under water. In other words, if you don't know where that ramp is, you'll never see it as you paddle by.
2) The entire length of Hurricane creek will be floatable (but the banks near this might still be home to a few hunters...)
3) You could put in at the upper boat ramp, and paddle upstream towards Hwy 11, downstream, to the South up Hurricane Creek, or to the North. In other words, pretty much any direction offers something to explore if you have a compass and GPS...

I'd be all over this if there wasn't a board meeting in OKC tomorrow, plus a toy store of other creeks and rivers also at optimum levels...

Chubs, I'd be interested in hearing your perspective on how you think water levels will impact hunter density. Will Wattensaw be flooded enough to send hunters elsewhere, OR, will Wattensaw have more hunters than usual due to closure of the WRNWR hunting areas due to high water?

On Hunter Orange - you were probably being facetious about the color, but just FYI, chartreuse is a legal alternative. Although defined as half way between green and yellow, I've frequently heard it called "florescent green" or even "hunter green". [/color]
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

chubs

Post by chubs » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:42 am

Cowper, you are correct...you cannot hunt from a boat.

As for hunter density due to flooding, the 24th - 28th will not matter. They only give out a certain number of permits for the hunt (same with the modern gun hunt). Everyone else isn't allowed to hunt during the permit hunts. I know there are 400 permits given for the modern gun hunt, but I'm not sure what the numbers are for the muzzleloader. It wouldn't be more than that.

You have to consider that not all 400 permit holders will show up and hunt either....So that should be your maximum exposure.

Just checked the guage at Clarendon...it's at 27.28...AGFC flood region D closes when Clarendon reaches 28ft...so it's getting close. Flood region D includes Wattensaw. They do not reopen it until Clarendon is at 27.

Also note, on the closings. AGFC doesn't check or report on the guages and closings until 3:00 pm each day.

If I were still going to do the float, I would still do the main channel of the bayou...from the hwy 11 bridge to the takeout. Reason being, there is a good chance the bayou is up enough that no one can get close to the main channel anyway.

From a bowhunting persepect, yes, Wattensaw is likely to see more hunter's due to the White River Refuge and parts of the Cache Refuge being closed. But keep an eye on the guagu at Clarendon...Wattensaw may close too.

Social Media