trolling motor on my tripper

Recreational and touring boaters

rockbeaverfork

trolling motor on my tripper

Post by rockbeaverfork » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:42 pm

Hey all,

I'm wanting to put a trolling motor on my OT tripper for some fishing trips this spring down the bottom of the Buffalo. I've pretty much decided on a little Minncota trolling motor, but am curious what folks are doing for batteries.

Do I need a Marine gel battery? Some sort of spill proof box? I sure don't want to polute any water (or burn a hole through my boat) if I would happen to tip or something weird happen.

And anyone have some experience with what size they'd suggest for a couple of days pretty much cruising down the big pools?

Thanks in advance. ~rock

Jim Krueger

Re: trolling motor on my tripper

Post by Jim Krueger » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Rock,
There were some discussions about canoes and trolling motors quite awhile ago, I even entertained getting one for my canoe since we like to fish from our kayaks and canoe. From what I understood from others on that post was, if you adapt a canoe or kayak to use either sail, electric, or gasoline motor, you then must register the vessel annually with the Arkansas department of finance and administration ,and also display the registration numbers as if it were any other fishing or sporting boat. It's no great problem but the principal of the thing was enough to put me off the idea, and just continue to paddle...
In all fairness to the administration though, I have seen two examples of commercially built 'kayaks' which were equipped with internal engines, and could move on. I just never entertained the idea that anyone could get too happy with a trolling motor to warrant registration. :)

Best Regards
Jim Moose

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:14 am

You’re on the right track to get some type of sealed battery that won’t leak if on it’s side (or under water).

Good discussion on some options:

http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I were buying today, I’d probably end up with one of the Lifeline “AGM” batteries, most likely the Group 24 size. It is the smallest one listed on this page; and even so weighs in at 56#. One like this will last about one day if you run your trolling motor at low speed; on high speed, you’ll kill it in about 2 hours (depending somewhat on how big a motor you choose). If you get a lead type battery big enough to last two days, you’ll need help carrying it down to the boat.

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/marinedeepcycle.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want to be totally battery-powered for two days, you’ll need two of the Group 24 size batteries. That’s a pretty big investment both in dollars and weight carried. I find that if you just use the trolling motor off and on, and mostly on a lower speed, OR, just use it for a short burst of speed to catch up with friends after you’ve been taking your time checking something out, then one battery can be made to last two days and still helps quite a bit on the amount of work it takes to push a big canoe through the pools.

Another thing you can do to make the battery last longer is put down some extra dollars for one of the "Maximizer" type trolling motors - if you run the motor at 50% or less, it conserves more energy than a standard trolling motor run at the same thrust level due to a different technology in how the power is stepped down. However, if you run mostly near high speed, then this feature doesn't save you anything.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

dwilson

Post by dwilson » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:50 am

I'd go to the local Walmart and pick up one of there trolling motor batteries. Good warranty and fairly cheap. One of those batteries with a small motor might last as much as three days on a charge. In OK we have to tag our canoes even if the propulsion devise is a wooden stick. Don't let the rules keep ya from havin fun. Just pay it and go on.

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:31 am

I probably should have mentioned the fun and utility in scooting around with a trolling motor and made mention of the registration as a brief footnote.
Good information on the batteries Cowper, they've come a long way since I was a kid. When brother and I went on fishing trips with my uncle, it was in his homemade, WWII vintage Jon boat equipped with an equally old Minn-Kota trolling motor. I still have the boat and motor stored in the barn. The old Minn-Kota was one with the motor on top as they didn't yet have the waterproof motors in use now. As good as we thought we had it in the fifties, the older motors used power like a 'dead short' and the batteries we used weren't deep cycle ones... I remember, before each fishing trip, having to rob two batteries, one from the hay-bailer, and one from one of the tractors for our outings. Since the older motors would run on either 6 or 12 volt, we would run on one battery in the morning then the other in the afternoon, then hook both together with a jumper wire to motor in in the evening :)
When I was more actively thinking of a modern trolling motor for my canoe, I was amazed at the offerings Minn-Kota has today, and in combination with the newer battery technology, just outstanding. We so love to fish, and I may again consider outfitting the canoe but I have more and more thought about a dedicated fishing boat with outboard and trolling motor instead. We shall see.

Best Regards
Jim

rockbeaverfork

Post by rockbeaverfork » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:19 pm

Perfect guys, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

I too am not thrilled about the registration thing...but I like to take my dad with me and he's getting a little set in his ways about paddlin' vs beer drinking. Apparently he's taken to the later and prefers to leave me with the former. Which I'm cool with...but sometimes feel the need for a little help.

thanks again. ~jw

fryingsquirrel
Name: Jon Ellwood

Post by fryingsquirrel » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:32 pm

There is a battery maker called Optima, they make high-end Asorbed Glass Mat batteries, which are similar to the so called "gel" batteries, which just have a binding or gelling agent added. This can sometimes limit or reduce performance, depending on maker and application. I'd advise you to find the battery with the highest Amp-hour rating you can find, but remember to compare it to wieght factors. I've dont an extended trip (5 days, 4 nights) on the buff with a rented john boat, about 800 lbs of gear, and my own 9.8 merc. The outboard is an electric start and can put a hefty drain on a battery, so i bought a solar charger to top off my batt inbetween starts. I would recommend a solar charger any day.If you buy one try to find one about 15 amps, this will really extend your range. a 15 amp charger is about 24 inches squared. I am a student for automotive service tech, so if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Heres a link for a solar charger:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=219799
"Life is a question asked by nature and answered by death. You are a different kind of question with a different kind of answer." -Helios

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:21 pm

Humm, solar chargers..That sounds good. On many of our fishing trips as a kid, it would be so sunny and hot while Bream-fishing we could cook a grilled cheese sandwich on the metal seat. :) A solar charger could have been zinging right along, good idea.

Jim Moose

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:59 pm

fryingsquirrel wrote:... a 15 amp charger is about 24 inches squared.
I think you meant to say 15 watts - that is the biggest one on the page you linked. That would be about 1.25 amp output at 12 volts - enough to top off a battery charge, but would take several days to recharge a fully drained battery.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

dwilson

Post by dwilson » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:42 pm

Keep it simple. Way too complicated just a trolling motor and a battery and go. That's probaly the backpacker in me. I do believe the size of solar panels to charge will be way to big for this application.

fryingsquirrel
Name: Jon Ellwood

Post by fryingsquirrel » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:12 am

Right you are, cowper. I tend to confuse watts and amps. In the auto industry, we dont really use watts, so my reckoning is screwy.
"Life is a question asked by nature and answered by death. You are a different kind of question with a different kind of answer." -Helios

Social Media