BUFFALO RIVER-FEB 6-8-Update 4-Hwy14-Rush- Pictures

Recreational and touring boaters
Richard

Re: BUFFALO RIVER - FEB 6-8 - Update2-BIG BLOW

Post by Richard » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:48 pm

Board shows Dave posted but I don't see it.

Danny, I talked to the Dispatch office in Harrison. They are expecting the roads and camping areas (Erbie and Ozark) possibly becoming blocked and the thaw to create a mushy mess as a result of high temps and winds Friday night. With that in mind, we are moving the whole thing down to Hwy 14 to Rush which has better roads. Although taking out at Rush will be muddy. Camping Friday night will be at Rush. The wind Saturday will be generally to our back. I am having to work Friday so I will not be coming until Saturday morning. The plan is to launch from Hwy 14 at Noon. That means getting the shuttles running around 10am.
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:54 pm

Question: if we camp at Rush friday night, where will we meet to set up shuttle?
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:56 pm

Dave, Those camping at Rush Friday night will consolidate, leave what vehicles they can at Rush and go to Hwy 14. Boats and gear will be offloaded and the official shuttle will then take place leaving as many vehicles at Rush as possible. Our objective is to be on the river by noon.

I just called Dispatch again (870-365-2714) just to make sure. Rush campground is open. Keep in mind there is no water. The road getting there is open to one lane traffic. There were several power poles down on the county road but that should be taken care of. A word of caution, since you are most likely arriving at Rush after dark be on the lookout for new obstructions. The wind can do a lot of damage in these conditions.
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

painterbob

Re: BUFFALO RIVER-FEB 6-8 - Update3- Hwy14-Rush

Post by painterbob » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:59 pm

talked to Eric, and all of us are on board with the.... CLASSIC HWY 14 TO RUSH FULL MOON TRIP... :clap:

dwilson

Post by dwilson » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:08 pm

Two okies will be gettin up early Saturday mornin and headed that way.See ya when we get there.

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:10 pm

painterbob

Post by painterbob » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:20 pm

:lol: ..i don't know how he picks these weekends with great weather, but he did it again! yes, another great trip ..... some new face's, and some we just haven't seen in a while. all in all i had a great time with you guys and gal's :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: to Richard for putting on this trip and a little :clap: to all that came with..

dwilson

Re: BUFFALO RIVER-FEB 6-8-Update 4-Hwy14-Rush- Pictures

Post by dwilson » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:01 am

The okie's had a great time again. Found some signs of prehistoric man in the woods behind camp. Well maybe not prehistoric but we did find some stuff. One object was a little toy truck that i believe Richard lost there when he was a pup. I gave it back to him. I think a new competative sport is in the makings in nw Arkansas. It will be called canoe packing. The rules are simple just cram all ya can into a canoe and paddle it safely to a campsite set up your stuff and judging will begin. Need help coming up with prize ideas. Again we sure had a hoot with you guys and girls. Thanks for having us along.

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:15 am

I have posted pictures on the first post but here also. Danny, after you left I went back and took some pictures. So they can see your find.
http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/570003321jgrReA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mohawklady
Name: pam ellwood

Post by mohawklady » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:14 am

My son and I had a great time also, especially after being holed up last week for 5 days without electricity, talk about a bad case of "cabin fever".
Richard, we look forward to seeing you and all the fine folks again on next months float. We can only hope for repeat conditions!!!! Thanks again Eric for the hospitality and ride.

Shark Attack

Post by Shark Attack » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:19 pm

Painter Bob, I've got a matching "classic" Alumacraft canoe just like that 1970s model I got whan I was sixteen. Next time we paddle together I'll have to chase the spiders and wasps out of it :o

Wes
Wes

fryingsquirrel
Name: Jon Ellwood

Post by fryingsquirrel » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:17 pm

Ok, its Jon and its monday, posting from the library at NTI. Richard, I just wanted to say thanks again for a wonderful trip with great weather. I don't know how you do it, but keep it up. Eric- thanks for the food and transpo.
For what its worth, no one swam exe cept me, and that was voluntary.
I will see you all on the river again soon.
Jon Ellwood
"Life is a question asked by nature and answered by death. You are a different kind of question with a different kind of answer." -Helios

Louiscov
Name: Louis Covington

Post by Louiscov » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:23 pm

WONDERFUL PHOTOS AND VIDEOS. Thanks for sharing them.

The wind sounded wicked but the sounds really added to the sense of being on the river with ya'll. My son and I solo canoed High Bank to Turner Bend Sat. 7th on the Mulberry with negligible wind, shockingly light considering the forecast.

Thanks again!! Great job.
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Wind In the Willows

"I am haunted by waters." A River Runs Through It

louis covington

Bob Stout

Post by Bob Stout » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:31 am

It was a great outing and lots of fun - river level was fantastic - really enjoyed meeting some new paddlers and making friends. Always good to paddle tandem with my "Bud" Dave (Okie-Boater) from Jenks (Tulsa) -- looking forward to next time:)
We do not inherit the EARTH from our Ancestors, we BORROW it from our Children -- Native American Proverb

sugarmtngal
Name: Gretch

Post by sugarmtngal » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:14 pm

Great pictures, thanks for sharing Richard! I sure missed out, but I'll be back to join you all again soon! Miss you all............

Painter Bob, nice canoe!!!!!!
Next time I'll bring my KingFisher, Wennonah Canoe to prove I do have one!
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair". -Kahil Gibran-

Social Media