Lost/ Sunk - Ascend H12 on the King's

Forum for posting lost and found items only.

brquinn
Name: Billy

Lost/ Sunk - Ascend H12 on the King's

Post by brquinn » Wed May 09, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi, a friend sunk my Ascend H12 on the King's around Marshall Branch (bend in the river between the Stoney Point and Romp Hole access points) on 5/5/18. I plan on trying to retrieve it on 5/12/18 if it is sitting on the bottom of the river like I expect. Please call 501-five93-five946 if you happen to see it.

Thank you!

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Re: Lost/ Sunk - Ascend H12 on the King's

Post by Cowper » Thu May 10, 2018 7:06 am

Wish I lived closer, I'd help out.

I'm curious, when you say "sunk", Most kayaks will float at least a little bit even when full of water; is the boat pinned on something in the current, or is it truly just "sunk" and on the bottom?

If you get it back, I'd figure a way to put some kind of flotation under the rails - from photos it looks like something the size of a pool noodle might be just the ticket. Just find a way to attach it so that it wont come out. You might even just be able to just run a rope through the noodles, stuff one under each rail, and tie the ends of the rope to something at each end of the boat. That wouldn't add much weight, and would really help in the event of another upset.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

brquinn
Name: Billy

Post by brquinn » Thu May 10, 2018 8:03 am

Hi Cowper,

Thank you for the thoughts. It is a hybrid style kayak/ canoe. It has a hull that filled with water. I do like the noodle idea. I like to put a piece of noodle around my fishing poles for that reason.

Good news! My boat was found and rescued. My friend that sunk the boat is making the long drive from Little Rock to pick it up tonight. I think he is pretty excited to get his wallet and phone back.

Overall, I am very thankful for people like Mr. Freedom that found the boat and had the integrity to help a stranger get it back.

Cowper

Post by Cowper » Sun May 13, 2018 7:30 am

That's GREAT!

Your story leads me to a couple of other thoughts. If the wallet hadn't been in there, would Mr. Freedom have known how to get you? In some states it is the law that you have to write your name and phone number in your boat. Big Brother doesn't care if you get your boat back, but he doesn't want to spend Search and Rescue dollars looking for you/ your body if they find the boat on the river with nobody in it. But that also helps "lost" boats come home, so I always do that with my kayaks. (I should do it with my canoes too, but I paddle them only on easier streams where I'm unlikely to lose one. But I will write it in there soon, just to not be hypocrite.)

The second thing is, there was a story recently about a couple in Oregon who is suing d*ck's Sporting goods because a d*ck's employee removed some of the flotation from the boat, thinking that the foam was just "packing foam". Then they went to a river that was above their skill level, got in trouble, and the boats sank. I wonder if your boat originally had foam that got removed by mistake? Depending on the type of foam used, I could see that happening. The gray "ethafoam" looks like it belongs in the boat, but I've also seen some boats use styrofoam that is no different than the type of foam used to pack TV's in a box, so even though the boating community "knows" it is supposed to be there, I could see how some box store employee could make that mistake. Then if you picked up the boat after the foam was already removed, the question of whether or not it belonged there wouldn't even come up. I think I'm going to have to visit Bass Pro in LR to investigate!
Last edited by Cowper on Sun May 13, 2018 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cowper

Post by Cowper » Sun May 13, 2018 7:32 am

I feel like a character from Beavis and Butthead. The message board software won't let me say d*ck's Sporting goods, but if I say Dicks without the apostrophe, it slides right through.

Social Media