Blue Hole Canoe stolen - total bummer!

Forum for posting lost and found items only.

Highqualityh2o
Name: Tom Johnson

Blue Hole Canoe stolen - total bummer!

Post by Highqualityh2o » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:29 pm

Appreciate any help on locating my 16' Blue Hole OCA stolen from my dock on Beaver Lake near Eureka Springs, AR. I purchased the canoe from OMS in Fayetteville and picked it up in Ft. Smith back in 1977. It is black with a grey interior and overall in very good condition. It has aluminum gunnels and thwarts in good condition (just one dent that had been hammered back into shape). The seats are black plastic that are intact but have small cracks upon close inspection. The hull has a lot of scratches but only a few gashes into the first layer of plastic. The decals are intact but weathered and almost unreadable. It had a 1/2" diameter black and white tie-down rope tied to each end. The rope is somewhat unique and at a quick glance, appears to look like a black snake or king snake when laying on the ground next to the boat. I'm trying to locate the hull number but since it was purchased in 1977, I'm not sure if I still have it around. If anyone knows if there is a register for old Blue Hole boats that would be helpful too. Thanks for keeping an eye out for this remarkable boat…I'm totally bummed that this happened.

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Re: Blue Hole Canoe stolen - total bummer!

Post by Canoe_Codger » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:34 am

As far as I am aware, there is no Blue Hole Registry. The company changed hands several times since your canoe was made, so it is doubtful that factory records remain. Possibly you might contact the retailer you bought it from, or the former owners if they are no longer in business. The black OCAs are uncommon then and today, so if seen on a river or lake it should stick out. The great folks here on this website and those in the ACC cover more Arkansas and surrounding states waters than any group I know of and tend to haunt "canoe for sale" ads so there is a chance it will be spotted. Still, chances of recovery from my own experience is low. I suppose of course you have notified law enforcement. Good luck with the recovery. Having an old friend like that kidnapped is a very upsetting experience. Not to mention that they are not made any more. Have a photo of your missing friend?

Michael

Highqualityh2o

Post by Highqualityh2o » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:11 am

Thanks Michael. The company I purchased it from (I think it was called Ozark Mountain Sports) went out of business many years ago. If I remember right, Pack Rat was a competitor and might know if there is anyone around left to contact. Any pics I have will be in old slides and probably located with my misplaced warranty registration documents :-) I'll get up in the attic and see what I can find. Thanks again for your help!!!

Highqualityh2o

Post by Highqualityh2o » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:14 am

Oh yeah, I do have a report on file with the Carroll County Sheriffs Department.

Canoe_Codger

Post by Canoe_Codger » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:56 am

And you made a survey of the surrounding lakeshore? I know, a lot of ground to cover. But one has to start somewhere.
Beaver Lake has some 487 miles (784 km) of natural shoreline
:wht:

Highqualityh2o

Post by Highqualityh2o » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:10 am

Surveyed the general area around the dock but haven't got out on the water. The boat was tied to the dock at each end. Also other docks in the area had batteries stolen and locks cut off of storage bins. They tried to steal another boat and jet ski at the next dock but the batteries had been removed by their owners. Another neighbor had squatters at their primitive cabin. A couple had moved in without their knowledge and set up house, raked the leaves, cut a supply of wood for the winter and changed the padlock on the door. We think this is may be the source of the problems. Someone also took a boat and motor from the North Clifty arm of the lake around the peninsula to the Hogscald arm, stole the motor and tried to sink the boat. The boat was recovered. They must have been using the Hogscald access. Some of the local farmers have seen extra traffic on the roads that seemed out of character.

I figure that they probably don't know how rare those black Blue Holes are and it will pop up somewhere next spring.

My 85 year old Mom found my paperwork for the boat. Still bailing me out after all these years :D I'll have the serial no. and the hull number stamped in the plastic. I will post this soon and we also found a few pics that I will post as soon as I learn how to reduce the size of the files.

Thanks again!!!

Canoe_Codger

Post by Canoe_Codger » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:11 pm

The HIN is more important that the bow plate, IMHO. Most non-canoeists would not think to deface the HIN because one has to actually know it is there and look for it. The brass bow plate is an obvious target for removal or defacing. The snaggletoothed Blue Hole decal in your posted photo is pretty distinctive from a distance if they don't think to scrape it off. Hooligans are not usually the brightesst bulbs in the drawer. Best of luck friend. Did I mention that I detest thieves?

Michael

Highqualityh2o

Post by Highqualityh2o » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:00 pm

Michael,
You're right about the hull no. I'll post it as soon as I can get thru all the ice... and I'll gladly accept any luck you can send this way. Especially the thieves luck...

redboat100
Name: Gary Gordon

Post by redboat100 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:56 pm

what color is the outside from buffalo canoes I fix a lot of old blueholes

Canoe_Codger

Post by Canoe_Codger » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:25 pm

redboat100 wrote:what color is the outside from buffalo canoes I fix a lot of old blueholes
It is black with a grey interior and overall in very good condition. It has aluminum gunnels and thwarts in good condition (just one dent that had been hammered back into shape). The seats are black plastic that are intact but have small cracks upon close inspection. The hull has a lot of scratches but only a few gashes into the first layer of plastic. The decals are intact but weathered and almost unreadable.
The photos and HIN are posted in a followup post to this one.

Social Media