Rescue knives

Paddling gear and boat review
Butch Crain

Rescue knives

Post by Butch Crain » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:21 am

anybody have hands on experience with the Gerber E-Z Zip?

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-E-Z-Zip-45924.htm

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:50 am

Hey Butch,

I have no experience with the exact knife shown in your URL.

However, way back in time when I was harvesting mule deer out in Utah, I had a knife that looked a lot like this one.

All of us hunters called it a zip knife.

Reason being, you used your pocket knife to make a small entrance opening, inserted the zip knife and doing a field dressing of a deer was just like opening a zipper. No mess cause you only cut the skin.

Not sure how the design will work on a human, but would be interested in the observations.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Butch Crain

Post by Butch Crain » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:56 am

Yeah, I've had an Old Timer drop point for about 30 years that fits me perfectly from palm to finger tip. Just like you said - you can zip a deer right open.

Looks like the E-Z zip is a good solution for a rescue knife that won't poke a hole in someone while having a closed face for safety that's wide enough to "unzip" a boat if needed.

I guess if it was dropped in a river, someone might could jam their toe into it, but at least it wouldn't stab anybody.

Another pretty good alternative -

http://www.benchmade.com/products/produ ... odel=10105

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:25 am

I do not think a knife is gonna easily cut a kayak, or at least it would take super effort to get the job done.

Back when I was doing SWR Instructor stuff I got a old plastic kayak and attempted to cut around the cockpit area with a knife. I am not saying it cannot be done, but I gave up.

This was on old school plastic, not the new stuff.

However, when I put a little saw on the job, I could "zip" right thru it.

So, I added to my pin kit, a little change a blade knife that has a saw blade option. Some folks might use the small pruning saws that fold up close to pocket knife size.

I am very cautious of using a knife any time it will contact the person. The Ocoee scene where the rescue team cut the spray skirt off but cut open a blood vessel comes to mind. They got the guy out of the kayak, but he died from loss of blood.

I think there will be situations where a rescue knife is necessary, just saying that the rescue team has to use good judgement on use of a knife.

The old style (I have one of these things, but it is stored away) double edge rescue blades scare me a bit as it is easy to cut something you do not want to cut with the double edge.

Way back in my Georgia canoe days, I was on a flat water trip where one tandem canoe was towing a ladies young son on a inner tube secured to the stern of the canoe. Going over a riffle, some how the kid got his neck tangled in the tow rope. The lady whipped out her belt knife, cut the rope in a flash, jumped in the water, got the kid untangled and every one gave a sigh of relief. Have not seen that situation since then, but that prompted me to carry a knife on my PFD and a nice folder in a PFD pocket.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Arthur Bowie
Name: Arthur Bowie

Post by Arthur Bowie » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:57 am

My son gave me one of the Benchmade rescue knifes last Christmas. It's a neat gadget with a glass breaker on one end, I leave it in the truck because it's more likely to be used there instead of on the water.

The main reason we list knifes as part of the standard gear for paddlers is because of the dangers with rescue ropes. I do use standard knifes from time to time on the water, some are plain edge and some with either half or full length serriated edges. Some of the safety hook cutters will cut rope, most are meant to cut seat belts or other webbing, so are pretty limited use.

Probably most common use of river knifes for me and most of the people I see using them is to prepare food at lunch time--spreading peanut butter, cutting apple and so on...
Arthur

Crane

Post by Crane » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:23 am

I had my first exposure to a "rescue kinfe" in 20 years of paddling a few weeks ago on the Salt River. In getting Bob Stout's boat un-hung, my boat and another washed up against another guy and me... We tied my boat to the other and worked to get Bob off... After his went free, we were still hung up. Finally, another rafter made his way out and we were able to get the boat free, which was swept into a fast current, with my raft tied to it. The two of u s in the water made it onto my raft... I told the other guy to let my line loose. He did... just about the same time as the guy on the first boat CUT MY $75 bow line free... The line was never recovered...
Crane

Steve S
ACC Secretary

Post by Steve S » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:36 pm

I have a Benchmade version of the E-Z Zip. It's OK, but I really prefer a "standard" blade. I like the E-Z Rescue: http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php?xp ... ge&xid=507.

The leading edge of the blade is blunt so you can work it under a strap without cutting a raft tube or human skin.

And the serrated edge will allow you to cut through Crane's $75 bow rope with very little effort.
Steve Shepherd

"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." - Jim Whittaker, first American to summit Mt. Everest.

Butch Crain

Post by Butch Crain » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:00 pm

I'm really looking for something sturdy enough to cut up that TV tray Arthur uses for a plate at Rendevous.

I'm thinking I can make a setting for 4 or a couple of sets of hand paddles out of that thing.

I've got one of those benchmades too Steve. Seemed like a good idea, but it's not very ergonomic and the opening to the blade face is a little narrow for cutting into a boat. Sounds like the voice of experience says a serrated edge is what's needed anyway.

Arthur Bowie

Post by Arthur Bowie » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:19 pm

HEY! a man has to eat to survive you know :D
Arthur

Butch Crain

Post by Butch Crain » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:21 pm

Arthur, you must have one helluva intense metabolism!

If we could find a trashed boat, what would y'all think about a blade safety & boat slicing demo at Rendevous? Or is that inviting too much liability for the club?

Arthur Bowie

Post by Arthur Bowie » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:49 pm

That would be a great one! Talk to Dave and MOP and get on the schedule.. but don't mess with my mess kit.. :roll:
Arthur

Crane

Post by Crane » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:26 am

... or my bow line.
Crane

curly

Post by curly » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:25 am

here's a good little clip and description of why you should have a knife

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32l7ZpZr09I

Butch Crain

Post by Butch Crain » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:34 am

This morning on the back patio my eyes fell onto a pair of tree pruners I left out.

About 8'' long with a 3" scissor.
Bright yellow rubber coated handle with a lanyard loop.
Blunt nosed.
Single blade against anvil action.

I think I can do a little file work on the blade and make it sharp enough to cut any less than industrial sized rope. I'm pretty sure I can apply enough hand pressure to cut through a boat. I think I can make it fit in one of my PFD pockets.

Anybody want to sacrifice a boat to see how it works? (or a "plate"? Arthur?)

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Post by RomanLA » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:02 pm

That's a crazy video. River knives are part of the NOC required gear for guides. As a side note, a common complaint I've seen about river knives is that they fall out and become a hazard in the river. Our head instructor at NOC was using the rubber piece that attaches a snorkel to a mask between his knife and sheath. It takes just an extra half second to unhook it to pull out the knife. I picked up one for my knife today.
Last edited by RomanLA on Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Social Media