Mad River vs Mohawk

Paddling gear and boat review

repoman

Mad River vs Mohawk

Post by repoman » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:00 pm

I am considering purchasing a ww canoe. I am a beginner, too short and fat to kayak (5' 10" & 250#). The two boats that I have been reading about are the Mad River Outrage X and the Mohawk - either the XL-13 or the Probe-13.

Does anyone have any experience with these boats, or opinions as to which might be a better choice?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Repoman
[/code]

curly

Post by curly » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:57 am

repo,

i too am located in nea and if you want you can paddle my xl 13. i've paddled the outrage (nice boat, but too edgy for me to begin on)

Arthur Bowie
Name: Arthur Bowie

Post by Arthur Bowie » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:16 pm

13 foot is my preferred size for whitewater canoes and often the best choice for a lot of people either starting out or maybe beginning to zero in on what works best for them.

The three you mentioned are all in the same general class, if you don't have much experience you may not notice the difference between them. The only way to know is to get in each, preferably on still, calm water, and do flatwater drills in one after the other. After a little time in any of them, the other two will be noticeably different in the way it feels to you.

Outfitting usually makes as much difference in what feels right as does the hull, the best rule is always paddle before you buy.

I've had 12' Outrage, XL13, and nearly bought Outrage X on last go around. I have a Probe for a student boat now, and use Esquif Blast as #1. The boat I think is currently the best available is the new Mohawk Shaman, I'm doing all I can to hold off buying one for a little bit longer.

Shaman is a huge step above XL series in handling, a pretty good more than a Probe. Since they are manufactured in Fort Smith by people we know, there is advantage with Mohawk, and for most of us, the 12'7" Shaman is the best of their solo boats.
Arthur

Monsoon
Name: Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:01 pm

got a Mohawk probe 13 to try out. I like it so far. Good boat!
Boatin' life has lit the fire. Let's have a party!!

Steve S
ACC Secretary

Mad River vs. Mohawk

Post by Steve S » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:51 am

The Mad River Outrage X is a much quicker handling boat than either of the Mohawks; it is a high-performance boat for the heavier paddler. It has bow rocker of 6", and stern rocker of 5". A beginner in this boat will have more opportunity to perfect his/her swimming skills.

The XL13 has 3" of rocker bow and stern. It is also a couple inches wider at the mid point so it will be more stable.

The Probe 13 is between the other two. It has 5" of rocker bow and stern and is slightly wider than the Outrage X.

If you are going to paddle 4 or 5 times a year, go with the XL13. If you think you are going to get into paddling in a big way, go with the Probe 13. After you have paddled a couple years and participated in at least one OC1 Whitewater School class, you'll be happy with an Outrage X.

You'll know you have become a paddling junkie when you've reached the point where you never believe you have bought your last boat.
Steve Shepherd

"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." - Jim Whittaker, first American to summit Mt. Everest.

repoman

Thanks for the feedback.

Post by repoman » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:56 pm

I really appreciate all of your comments. It sounds like the XL-13 might be a better match for my limited skills as a beginner at ww canoeing. Previous experience is limited to tandem touring on the upper Buffalo at 6 to 12 inches of airspace, 2-3 times per year, for the past 25 years.

I plan to sign up for the ACC canoing school, if I can find a boat in time. My hope is to develop some basic whitewater skills.

Repoman

mb

Post by mb » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:18 pm

As for kayaks---most kayakers are fat and short! You'll do fine! I have a Mohawk Probe 12. After I got used to it, I love it. But, then, I'm tall and lean.

Monsoon
Name: Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Short and chubby here. I love my probe 13. I can't even do a Yak. Its just not comfy to me.

Last bumped by repoman on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:44 pm.
Boatin' life has lit the fire. Let's have a party!!

Social Media