WW Canoe paddles

Paddling gear and boat review

Monsoon
Name: Monsoon

WW Canoe paddles

Post by Monsoon » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm

Can someone tell me the difference between the use of one of those Werner paddles that look like:

http://www.wernerpaddles.com/paddles/bandit.html

and shorter blade paddles that look like a fan on a stick?
Boatin' life has lit the fire. Let's have a party!!

Clif

Post by Clif » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:35 am

Back when I did a canoe I borrowed one of those thru a pool on the cadron. Compared to my mohawk "fanblade" paddle it was much better feeling. Lighter, more water = more reaction to your action and the indexed shaft which helps you feel the angle of the blade. When you get into eddying and the cross over forward stroke all this matters. If you are doing it a bunch, it matters more.

If you are just plowing down the river, save your money. I never had the $$ then. Got a cheaper aquabound version. Still liked it a lot better than a "fanblade."

After a 7 or 8 mile float, you will know the difference. That is a good paddle with others that are better and more money out there. Using it to pry rocks would be a BAD idea too, as in low water floats.
You sure this is on the right channel?

Steve S
ACC Secretary

Spooned Blade

Post by Steve S » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:17 am

Aquabound makes some good paddles at a reasonable price. Check http://www.aquabound.com/ for the Edge paddle which comes in carbon or fiberglass.

Once you get used to a spooned blade, it's hard to go back to a flat blade. The spooned surface is simply more efficient than a flat surface. Think about when you are swimming. You cup your hand rather than keeping it straight.
Steve Shepherd

"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." - Jim Whittaker, first American to summit Mt. Everest.

Monsoon
Name: Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. Just remembering physics class.
I wish they weren't so dang expensive. haha.
Boatin' life has lit the fire. Let's have a party!!

Crane

Post by Crane » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:34 pm

When I was first solo open-boating, I bought a cheap Mohawk paddle. I used it for a good while. Then, once I had decided to really get into the sport, I invested in what was at the time as good a single-bladed paddle as I could find. More than 15 years later, that is still "my paddle"... somewhat shorter than when I bought it from having the end worn down... and repaired when I knocked a chunk out of it... But, it's still the one. My point is that if you buy a good paddle, you'll be using it a loooonnnngggg time. Spend the money on the front end to get the best you can find!
Crane

Social Media