Mohawk XL13

Paddling gear and boat review
Monsoon
Name: Monsoon

Mohawk XL13

Post by Monsoon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:02 am

Anyone have an opinion on the Mohawk XL13's. I am looking into purchasing one, but I'd like a little feedback first. Thanks.
Boatin' life has lit the fire. Let's have a party!!

Arthur Bowie
Name: Arthur Bowie

Post by Arthur Bowie » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:47 am

Not a bad choice for first whitewater canoe. It is a little bigger, lot more stable, and sluggest until you learn to lean hard into turns, but you can do a lot with it and won't spend as much time swimming as you would in a shorter, quicker boat.

I have seen over and over that folks who start in a solo canoe like the XL or Probes will often learn basic control quicker than any other boat type. After just a little while, they can usually pick up any boat and do pretty well much quicker than those that start in high performance boat.

I can almost promise that you will have an easier time getting into School of Whitewater Paddling if you are starting in solo canoe rather than kayak....simpily because we have more instructors for solo canoe than kayak.

This is the opposite approach to Cowpers Super High Intentisy Training. :lol:
Arthur

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:55 am

Thanks. For right now this is the boat I will have for a long time while I am a poor architect. haha. Which is why I want to get the one I can use as a beginenr and intermediate. I have been canoeing since the 8th grade, so its not new to me, but I am used to using a 16 foot Old Town Discovery (even in WW as a solo). So this new WW boat will be a little new, but not too bad.

Steve S
ACC Secretary

XL13 is a great 1st open boat

Post by Steve S » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:36 am

I agree with Arthur that the XL13 is a great boat to learn the basics of solo whitewater canoing. I paddled one for two years before graduating to a shorter, quicker OC1. But I kept the Mohawk to loan to family and friends who want to experience paddling whitewater solo without constantly swimming.

I bring it to Whitewater School every year to loan to a student who didn't realize that his/her lake canoe stuffed with flotation is not going to do the job.
Steve Shepherd

"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." - Jim Whittaker, first American to summit Mt. Everest.

Crane

Post by Crane » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:40 am

I watched Gordon learn in one & he's never been as good a paddler since he got out of it!! (Just joking, Gordo!!) Seriously, though, the XL13 is a fine big-boy boat that will take you into and through all you need to be on for several years... and longer if the "short & quick" bug doesn't bite!!
Crane

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:45 am

Yeah I am a big ole boy so I bet short and quick wouldn't work for me as much. If I can get my Salt tank sold....I'll get my new boat and come to paddle school.

Arthur Bowie

Post by Arthur Bowie » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:14 pm

Another thing that we see a lot of, is that years of experience really don't tell much about basic paddle skills, especially if those years are in general purpose boats.

Most people don't learn basic balance, paddle control, and lean control in such boats. Only a few actually pick up on how to use moving water features to their advantage, many may not know what an eddy is or how to use current and waves to ferry.

The XL 13 is responsive enough to easily do all this and to let you know when your basic skills have room to improve. Easy way to evaluate yourself in nearly any boat is to get on still water with no wind. From a still start, can you hit a target several boat lengths away with only one or maybe two strokes?
Arthur

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:47 pm

I know a few of the basics and probably not well enough to practice the correct way. I can get through a class II+ in an unwieldy 16 foot boat. I am looking forward to changing that and doing it in a 13' boat.

How will a boat "tell" me where there is room to improve? Not being smart, I just know that little this far.

How do I get started in the paddle school? And where is it held? cost? etc..

Arthur Bowie

Post by Arthur Bowie » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:32 pm

The boat tells you by how it responds to your lean and paddle skill. If you can't hit the target, 3 or 4 boat lengths out with one stroke, then there is definately lots of room to improve.

Maybe another indicator would be does the boat go thru that water better with you in or without you in it? Getting thru isn't much indicator, catching eddys in the middle of a fast 2 or 3 is a better indicator of the basic river skills.

Info on ACC schools is linked from front page, just follow the links to canoe school. There are a lot of things on general info page and many links to good self help aids.

Also, there are a lot of us that will take ACC members underwing -- especially folks who want to paddle solo whitewater boats -- and give as much help as you want. Follow the links thru Instruction to the page about Private Instruction.

I just noticed the Bentonville location--- it's easy for you to find an instructor!
Arthur

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:02 pm

I see. That makes sense. I spent last spring and summer learnign to catch the eddy and ferry and all off that. I think I did OK for what I had to work with. Im always up for learning more. So there are alot of instuctors up here in Bentonville eh. I wonder if you can paddle in Lake Bentonville. I live like a mile away from it.

Arthur Bowie

Post by Arthur Bowie » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:39 pm

Oops! Lake Bentonville is a no boat zone because of very old agreement between Ark G&F and Airport Commission.

I use Lake Atalanta in Rogers because it is so sheltered and has easy access at NE end. Lake Bella Vista is also a pretty good practice lake, City of Bentonville owns it now and has no problem with canoes on the Lake. Goose droppings are a factor at both lakes.
Last edited by Arthur Bowie on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:42 pm

I suppose if they can fish there, then we could put a boat on it. I'm going to try to find out. That would be great if you could use it for a bit a paddle time after work.

Arthur Bowie

Post by Arthur Bowie » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:44 pm

I was slow posting above. No boats allowed on Lake Bentonville.....
Arthur

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:48 pm

Well, that answers that. I can still run to Atalanta? are there always alot of people out there?

Arthur Bowie

Post by Arthur Bowie » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:54 pm

Very rare to see other boats on Lake Atalanta or Lake Bella Vista.

Both lakes do have a lot of walkers, joggers, and bicyles circling most of the time. Usually will be a few people fishing Lake Atalanta also.
Arthur

Social Media