Cold Weather Clothing

Paddling gear and boat review

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Cold Weather Clothing

Post by RomanLA » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:31 pm

I had planned to get a farmer john and splash jacket for flatwater paddling down here. I figure if I'm going to get into whitewater soon, I might as well go ahead and get something suitable for that too. I was looking at the NRS web site and was thinking about getting the stuff below.

NRS Navigator Gloves
NRS Stampede Jacket L/S
NRS 3mm Farmer John Wetsuit

The jacket is a semi-dry top...do you think this would be alright for river running? It's a closeout item ($50 off), so they only have a XXL available. It may be a little long for me, but I think it will fit well everywhere else. I already have some neoprene dive shoes.

RIORESIDENT

Post by RIORESIDENT » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:52 pm

it has been said before, NRS is a great company with great products, but IMO, i would use local companies/stores who work with the club so closley, and do some much for it.

the OOO staff, and don are wonderful, and im sure have similar products at a similar price.

other idea, is to try to find some of these items used. Gloves really don't come around much, but splash tops/semi/and dry tops are posted right here on this board all the time.

Rio~
"Be who you are, say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind."
Dr Seuss

www.mountainmetalworks.com
Whitewater Frames and Accessories
-EXPEDITION GEAR RENTAL-
PARTNER STEEL DEALER

Trismegistus
Name: John

Post by Trismegistus » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:10 pm

Best of both worlds?

Just so happens Ouachita Outdoors is an authorized NRS dealer -- thus you can get great local assistance and advice and still purchase some "great products from a great company". And believe me you'll be more than compensated for any savings in sales tax in going mail order by being able to touch and feel the merchnadise, try on and sample different sizes and such and getting to know some of our local businesses that support the ACC.

RIORESIDENT

Post by RIORESIDENT » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:57 pm

well, that is good news, I should have guessed they were NRS dealers.
"Be who you are, say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind."
Dr Seuss

www.mountainmetalworks.com
Whitewater Frames and Accessories
-EXPEDITION GEAR RENTAL-
PARTNER STEEL DEALER

RomanLA

Post by RomanLA » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:56 pm

Those places aren't local for me. They're more like an 8 hour drive. :P

So any opinions on whether or not semi-dry is good for non-playboating? Also, I just noticed they have a 2.5mm farmer john. Would that be better than a 3mm for spring time river running?
NRS 2.5mm Farmer John Wetsuit

Arthur Bowie
Name: Arthur Bowie

Post by Arthur Bowie » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:19 pm

Yes, the farmer john and semi-dry top are good choices for typical Arkansas springtime. Thickness of the wet suit usually isn't a major issue, thicker is warmer, thinner is usually more comfortable.

This assumes you are paddling something that stays upright most of the time, if you tend to hang out upside down a lot, then breathable dry top might be a better way to start. If you stay upright most of the time, the semi-dry tops might be more comfortable.

Gloves don't help me in cold weather. If you need protection from paddle blisters or rock abrasions, they are great. For warmth tho, I use pogies.
Arthur

RomanLA

Post by RomanLA » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:38 pm

Arthur Bowie wrote:Yes, the farmer john and semi-dry top are good choices for typical Arkansas springtime. Thickness of the wet suit usually isn't a major issue, thicker is warmer, thinner is usually more comfortable.

This assumes you are paddling something that stays upright most of the time, if you tend to hang out upside down a lot, then breathable dry top might be a better way to start. If you stay upright most of the time, the semi-dry tops might be more comfortable.

Gloves don't help me in cold weather. If you need protection from paddle blisters or rock abrasions, they are great. For warmth tho, I use pogies.
Cool...my plan is to stay upright as much as possible. lol I'm sure I'll roll from time-to-time, but I'm not planning on playboating. :)

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:22 pm

Unless you know you are very warm blooded, I would go with the 3 mm wetsuit.

The jacket is a good choice. You won't get the full benefits of the breathability when worn over the wetsuit which does not breathe, but when worn alone in less extreme weather you'll be glad it breathes.

You also need a polypro or capilene layer to wear under the jacket, or your arms won't have any insulation. The jacket keeps the water off, but provides only minimal warmth unless combined with an insulating layer of something.

For the gloves, I have a strong preference for ones from www.glacierglove.com.
The Kenai All-purpose (Model 016BK) are the ones I wear the most - great paddle feel, and warm enough for sub-freezing weather, and cheap. But the rubber is soft, so use with care to prevent early wear-out.
The Hypalon perfect Curves are also great (model 002HBL), about the same on warmth, but more durable.
EITHER of these will be warmer than the NRS gloves because they do NOT have nylon on the back-side. The nylon wicks water and sets up evaporative cooling.
FYI, the reason I gave model numbers is because the Glacier Glove site has several very similar-sounding names for other models of their gloves.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

RomanLA

Post by RomanLA » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:41 am

Hmm...might go ahead and have them swap the 2.5mm for the 3mm...placed my order last night. I may need to get some watersocks too. My dive booties let water in. :(

RomanLA

Post by RomanLA » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:28 am

I'm currently using 5mm neoprene dive booties. I called the local dive shop and they said they have some lycra socks backordered to put under them for warmth. Should I wait and try the socks or just look for an alternative for cold weather? I have an order being processed at NRS this weekend, so I could still add something to it from here...
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1166

Also, I was thinking about adding a neoprene hood or helmet liner to the order. Anyone tried any of these or a similar item that you like (they're at the bottom of the page)?
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1768

Thanks for the feedback! :D

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:14 pm

Any of the helmet liners will add considerable warmth. The thicker they are the more insulation they offer.

I like the full length divers setups that completely cover the head and neck and cover the shoulders.

Only problem is the thicker neoprene hoods may not work with your summer kayak helmet. I have a size larger winter kayak helmet so I can wear the thicker neoprene divers helmets inside and not get headaches.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:26 am

RomanLA wrote: Also, I was thinking about adding a neoprene hood or helmet liner to the order. Anyone tried any of these or a similar item that you like (they're at the bottom of the page)?
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1768
My helmet is a model without drain holes, and I have a full drysuit, so I don't need a helmet liner about 95% of the time. But when it gets really nasty, I use the NRS Mystery hood, and love it. The full neck coverage does restrict head movement a little bit, but not much because it is very thin material. And that neck coverage is a big plus on the warmth factor.

During the winter, I often take the hood along in a dry bag, because it is something that is easy to carry that can step up the warmth a big notch if the day turns our colder than expected.

Many people have just the helmet liner - and if I had drain holes, I'd get one of those too. I like the mystery material because it is thin, warm, and doesn't absorb a lot of water like fleece liners.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

RomanLA

Post by RomanLA » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:28 am

Cowper wrote:Many people have just the helmet liner - and if I had drain holes, I'd get one of those too. I like the mystery material because it is thin, warm, and doesn't absorb a lot of water like fleece liners.
Ahh sounds good...I tend to be cold natured, so that might be the way to go for me. I'll probably get a helmet liner too, but I'll wait until I can try some helmets on in person for that. If I should get to make a run before then, I'm going to use my old skateboard helmet. :)

That Mystery material sounds pretty cool. The semi-dry top I'm getting actually has that Glideskin material on the neck, which is the outer waterproof material for the Mystery stuff. It sounds like it would be alot more comfortable than a gasket around the neck. lol I'm still looking for a long sleeve shirt to wear between the farmer john and the top. It's hard to find something that doesn't cost a small fortune.

By the way, Outdoorplay has most of the NRS line and if you have a lifetime membership it's alot cheaper. The only thing I'm getting directly from NRS is that top, because they have it on sale. I'm getting everything else at Outdoorplay at 15% off with free shipping. The lifetime membership is $25 and I think I saved that much on my first order. lol

Social Media