Bivy - Recommendations Needed

Paddling gear and boat review

canoethewaters
Name: Samuel

Bivy - Recommendations Needed

Post by canoethewaters » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:31 am

I've finally decided to pick up a bivy tent for my post-paddle naps.

I'm looking for one that is lightweight enough to take with me on my trips but also warm enough to cover all seasons.

I've found a few good suggestions here: https://professionalcamping.com/best-bivy-tents/ and I have narrowed it down to the Rab Alpine: https://rab.equipment/us/alpine-bivi.

Does anyone here own a Rab Alpine bivy? Or any bivy really! I'd like to know your thoughts on comfort and ease compared to a traditional tent.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Re: Bivy - Recommendations Needed

Post by okieboater » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:28 pm

For what it is worth, I have several brand name hi dollar so called breathable bivy's and none of them work. I wake up with a wet sleeping bag. You pay the postage and I will send you one more than one if I can find them or have not thrown them away.

I picked up a USMC surplus (supposed to be brand new and I believe it is) gore tex bivy and it works ok, way better than the hi dollar brands and mine cost 29 bucks off the internet. Right now the USMC version is my go to bivy.

I use a lot of breathable products from wiggys.com and have been very satisfied with all of thme. Wiggys has a new ducksback bivy I am thinking about. I have a couple of the wiggys ducksback windshirt and hip length coats and real happy with them. Wiggy is not for every one but so far every thing from them has been top notch for me.

After using various bivy bags under the stars for many years, I started using a tarp overhead. My experience a bivy does not work for me in any kind of rain shower.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Social Media