Kayak Carrier System for Sedan

Paddling gear and boat review

aerialobserver
Name: Steve

Kayak Carrier System for Sedan

Post by aerialobserver » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:18 pm

Just acquired a newer Honda Accord sedan and I'm ready to try a rack system in place of the Sea to Summit pads that strapped through the doors of my previous Accord. That system works fine for a single boat, but reduces headroom and leaks when the straps wick rainwater inside the car. For a replacement, I'd like to be able to tote two boats and remove the rack in the off-seasons. I gather that "towers" are needed--lockable preferred--to clamp to the door frames and mount the crossbars. Some seem to have an angled panel across the front bar to deflect airflow over the rack, which seems like a nice feature. Any brand/model recommendations would be appreciated to reduce my homework study. Thanks.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Re: Kayak Carrier System for Sedan

Post by okieboater » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:30 pm

I have been using Yakima rack systems since they first came out. Still have and use some of their original setups.

Just go to the yakima home page and enter your car information and that will tell you what to order or see your local outfitter.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:52 am

What Dave said. Then see if you can find the same used. Lots of folks get a rack system and use it a few times or get a new vehicle (like me) and the old system no longer fits.

IMO get bars that are the same length as that from sideview mirror to sideview mirror. Longer bars carry more stuff.

Chet
Name: Luke Powers

Post by Chet » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:42 am

I had the same problem with my canoe. I've had good luck with the foam carrier systems sold at Academy. They are much less stable than crossbars. When you get used to how to strap them down, it's stable enough. (Also they're a very cheap solution to hold you over.)

I recommend taping any exposed metal that could scratch a roof and using a second cross strap.

Social Media