Cure for cold feet

Paddling gear and boat review

BEubanks
Name: Byron Eubanks

Cure for cold feet

Post by BEubanks » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:13 am

Went to OBU/HSU football game Saturday afternoon. Tried putting some Hot Hands warmers on top of my toes, between socks. Even though just wearing hiking shoes (no insulation), toes stayed warm and comfy for hours. I think next time I paddle in really cold temps, I'll try this for feet inside dry suit.

Also thinking about sewing some neoprene sleeves on inside of my pogies to hold some HotSnapZ warmers. Since these are sealed, exposure to water shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone tried these for paddling? Results?

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: Cure for cold feet

Post by Deuce » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:30 am

I'm a big fan of those, Byron. Been using them when fly fishing in cold temps for years. I haven't tried them when paddling yet but it seems reasonable that they'd work equally well with that application since a dry suit is very similar to Gore Tex waders. I finally got one so I expect I'll find out this winter.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Ouachitoff
Name: Chris H

Post by Ouachitoff » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:28 am

How do they respond to water? do they still "heat" when they get wet?
A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.
- English proverb

BEubanks

Post by BEubanks » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:31 am

The Hot Hands chemical packs require air to activate and operate, so they would work inside a dry suit but not otherwise. The HotSnapZ are sealed and reusable, so should do fine in wet conditions. The HotSnapZ packs, though, appear too large to go inside socks/boots but the Hot Hands take very little space.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:34 am

Among my many medical issues is type 2 diabetes, which means cold feet most of the time.

Winter camping is a cold feet issue for me since I like to sleep under the stars.

My current solution is a Wiggy's zero degree sleeping bag with overbag which I have used only in the summer as a summer bag not yet needed it as an overbag in the winter (I know there are plenty of people who don't like Wiggy's CEO but he has given me a lot of good advice), Wiggy's synthetic booties (I like them as they do not seem to compress like my down ones have), inside the booties - a very thick pair of merino wool sox) and finally on the bottom of the wool sox "Grabber Toe Warmers" which seem to work better than the hand warmers on my sox. The Grabbers for me at least, give out in the AM hours so on some nights I replace them with a second set. If I go to bed with cold feet the Grabbers have been the only thing to give me a comfortable night's sleep even with the bag - booties - wool sox combo. I have used several zero degree synthetic and down sleeping bags. The Wiggy's version is the least stuff-able but warmest and seems to handle moisture better than my other bags.

I have not used any "Toe Warmers" inside my kokotat dry suit with sewn on footies but don't see why they would not work.

I will add that the Muck boots (the winter insulation version) have been the best solution I have found for warm (er) feet on these fall and winter canoe floats I have started doing. I have previously considered canoe boating with this style boot a safety issue, but the cold feet problem has prompted me to wear them and just make the best of it.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

RuthB

Post by RuthB » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:58 pm

They make great socks with pockets sown in for just this purpose. My dad bought me a pair when I went on Safari in Kenya. We slept in tents and it was COLD. Should work well under a drysuit or with the right pair of shoes or booties.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Factory-Meri ... B0049HVWIE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I have some cabellas brand ones but I've also seen them at walmart.
"Men may dam it and say that they have made a lake, but it will still be a river... In time, it will have its way; the dam...will be carried away piecemeal in the currents." -Wendell Berry

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:33 pm

Finally, you've got the cure to those cold feet. Been hearing you complain for 40 years. :poke2:
BEubanks wrote:Went to OBU/HSU football game Saturday afternoon. Tried putting some Hot Hands warmers on top of my toes, between socks. Even though just wearing hiking shoes (no insulation), toes stayed warm and comfy for hours. I think next time I paddle in really cold temps, I'll try this for feet inside dry suit.

Also thinking about sewing some neoprene sleeves on inside of my pogies to hold some HotSnapZ warmers. Since these are sealed, exposure to water shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone tried these for paddling? Results?

BEubanks

Post by BEubanks » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:44 pm

Old dogs like new tricks . . . Guess I'll have to find something else to complain about.

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:56 pm

BEubanks wrote:Old dogs like new tricks . . . Guess I'll have to find something else to complain about.
Always got creaky shoulders and cold fingers to fall back on. Those and pesky little brothers.

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:45 pm

Tim Eubanks wrote:
BEubanks wrote:Old dogs like new tricks . . . Guess I'll have to find something else to complain about.
Those and pesky little brothers.
Is there any other kind? :poke2:
You come too.
Robert Frost

BEubanks

Post by BEubanks » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 pm

Ordered some HotSnapZ today to take care of the cold fingers. Creaky shoulders and tendonitis in elbows, well, still working on those.

I thought about commenting on little brothers but I'm afraid the degree of peskiness of younger brothers is often proportional to the immaturity of older brothers. One can outgrow peskiness is multiple ways. Might be able to grow into some new ways, too, but . . .

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:19 am

Come on Byron, don't let him off that easy (says the eternally pesky younger brother...................) BWAHAHAHAHA? :sinister:
You come too.
Robert Frost

Social Media