Whitewater Machine Works row frame on Aire Super Puma

Paddling gear and boat review

Jetlab67
Name: Paul

Whitewater Machine Works row frame on Aire Super Puma

Post by Jetlab67 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:59 pm

Last year I decided to join the rafting ranks. Although I had several years experience rowing drift boats in the Pacific NW rafts were new to me. I wanted a smaller lightweight raft with a lightweight, highly portable/packable row frame capable on a variety of rivers/flows for:

1. Day trips with 1 or 2 pax
2. Multi-day trips with light gear (backpacking type), small cooler and 1 pax
3. Drift boat for trout/salmon/steelhead fishing
4. R2-R4 paddle rafting

After prioritizing my needs and doing thorough research I decided on an Aire Super Puma with two thwarts (color red). The boat was purchased from The Boat People (Lee) in Northern California. The frame was a bit more complicated to figure out. After more research I chose to work with Guy Hendersen and Whitewater Machine Works also in Northern California. Like me, Guy has an aerospace background. It was immediately obvious that Guy’s frames were carefully and meticulously designed and produced. Guy worked with me to develop a 3-bay gear frame convertible to a 2-bay day frame taking into account rower (me) geometry – Super Puma tube height and flat section length, draft, oar length and balance, seat height, oar tower height, foot bar angle, etc. We also considered likely gear/cooler choices to best determine bay sizing. The 6061-T6 aluminum frame is modular and fully adjustable. Everything is hard anodized for corrosion protection and it weighs less than 25 lbs. in the cargo configuration. It breaks down small for easy packing in an aircraft or on a mule. The frame arrived expertly packaged. It took several whitewater and flatwater trips to “dial it in” and both frame/raft performed flawlessly on my recent Lodore trip. I’m very impressed with both Guy at Whitewater Machine Works and Lee at The Boat People and highly recommend doing business with them. I know at least one other Little Rock rafter has recently bought a similar set up from Lee and Guy.

http://www.hendersenprecision.com
http://www.whitewatermachineworks.com
2014-06-24 12.01.51.jpg
Paul Smith

Getting lost is never a waste of time - Jack Johnson

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: Whitewater Machine Works row frame on Aire Super Puma

Post by Deuce » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:13 pm

You think that frame would fit on a pink Star? :poke2:
You come too.
Robert Frost

Jetlab67

Post by Jetlab67 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:20 pm

Sure, but I'd like to add some flotation to it first. Is this the same shooting star that has the seams held together with sucker tape?
Paul Smith

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:26 pm

Hey, it's only three places.................on three seams...............but at least I glued the D rings back down so we can actually strap the frame to the boat.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Crane

Post by Crane » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:05 am

What cooler did you decide to use? The width inside a Super Puma is somewhat a limitation...
Crane

Jetlab67

Post by Jetlab67 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:17 pm

Larry - I went with a Canyon Cooler Outfitter 50. It did very well on Lodore.

Canyon's Spec's.

Our biggest selling ice chest with one-piece, roto-molded construction for extreme toughness and durability. Constructed of food-grade, UV resistant kayak plastic and DryIce compatible.
HUNTX foam is extreme pressure injected , making for maximum ice retention.
EZCAM Neoprene latches are UV RATED, simpler to use and have a no question warranty
The 4EVER hinge system simply never breaks rand runs the full length of the cooler
The Canyon COLDLOCKER GASKET full length foam rubber gasket is designed and installed to lock in the cold and keep the heat out. The COLDLOCKER will keep your contents ice cold or steaming hot as well as protect them from the outside elements. Sometimes you have to open the drain plug just to break the vacuum seal
Dual LOCK-RIGHT lid design keeps hacksaws, critters and relatives at bay with the extra strong mid lid design/li>
Brutally Tough PE RotoMolded cooler shell
STRAP TIGHT anchoring points on both sides of the cooler for easy mounting solutions no matter the situation. NO-LOSE drain system has a screw-in, gasket assembly with a tethered center plug to allow for quick and easy drainage without removing the entire plug. Entire assembly can be removed for faster drainage Rubber SUPERGRIP non-skid feet on all White models
Truck Friendly SIMPLEGLIDE Skid Plates on all Non-White models
Weight: 25 lbs
Ice Retention: 5 to 14 Days
4 year No – Fuss Warranty
Capabilities: 54 Quart Capacity
Ideal Can Capacity: 46 cans + Ice
Max Can Capacity: 56 cans
Weight: 25 lbs
Ice Retention: 5 to 14 Days
4 year No – Fuss Warranty
all purpose (hunting, fishing, tailgating, camping)
can be carried by 1 person
ideal for small gatherings, and weekend events
holds keeper fish / quartered deer
can be carried by 1 person
bay boat casting platform

Outside Length

Outside Width

Outside Height

Inside Length

Inside Width

Inside Height

Base Length

Base Width
Paul Smith

Crane

Post by Crane » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:28 am

Thanks, Paul... BTW, Pat and I and maybe several other rafters are going to slip to the Nantahala either Labor Day weekend or the next weekend. You'd be welcome to come along! PM or email me if you (or anyone else) are interested. Crane
Crane

Crane

Post by Crane » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:16 am

The Nanty trip will be the weekend after Labor Day... Leave Thursday eve and row/paddle Friday, Saturday and have the option of Sunday before heading home. Crane
Crane

Jetlab67

Post by Jetlab67 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:08 pm

RIP pink Shooting Star. She exploded on the trailer in the hot sun at S&T. No amount of TearAid could revive her. She donated her logos which could surreptitiously be glued over an AIRE logo in the middle of the night.
Paul Smith

Social Media