Tent recommendations?

Paddling gear and boat review

flatlander44
Name: Joe

Tent recommendations?

Post by flatlander44 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:55 pm

I'm going to purchase a 3 person tent for car camping and possibly canoe camping. (Using a Bell Yellowstone Solo) I have done some research online and was overwhelmed by the choices just at Campmor and REI. I have narrowed my focus to the Marmot Limelight 3, Eureka Mountain Pass 3 XLT, and the Eureka Inntorest 3.

Anybody have any experience with any of these tents? What do you think?

Most of the time I plan to car camp, but would like to try canoe camping on the Buffalo and similar rivers. Mostly I will use this tent in the spring through late fall in KS, MO and AR. I've had and used a Eureka Headquarters in the past and it is WAY too big for just me or to haul in a canoe.

I appreciate any advice on the topic. Thanks.

Fish

Re: Tent recommendations?

Post by Fish » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:25 pm

I have a Nemo Losi 3P that I'm very impressed with. Sleeps 3 people + one 3 year old. Great design, solid tent, roomy, lightweight (for a big tent). I'm also a fan of the Hubba-Hubba, and I really considered the 3-man version of that one when I purchased this one.

Happy camping,
Fish

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:24 am

We have had a Limelight 3 since April of 2012. It's the prior generation tent. They updated the door design and the look for the new one.

We have stayed 100+ nights in this tent. It is very dry. Even during multiple-day downpours.

The Nemo would definitely be worth a look as well.
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

ShayA
Name: Shay

Post by ShayA » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:08 am

Definitely no shortage of tent users here and lots of nights spent in them including 20+ inches of rain in one 4 day storm. For what it's worth, I've had 2 Eurekas in the past and neither of them lasted very long. Lamination peeled off both in very little time. Last year a friend and myself were camping. He was in a Eureka expedition tent and overnight it rained solid. He woke up to 2 inches of water INSIDE the tent. Also used a Marmot Trailight which is a great tent but needed a bigger one. For 2 years now I've been using a Kelty Salida 4. Almost exact setup as the Marmot. It is spec'd to 4 people but fits more like 3. Very lightweight, 2 pole design, full mesh top for the best ventilation I've ever had and a full to the ground rain fly that has many guy out points. I've spent 2 years in this tent and lots of rain and not a single leak. I have only had to reseal one floor seam. I think with some Kelty you get your best bang for your buck. Marmot and Nemo tents you definitely can't go wrong with and if you're shopping look at Big Agnes tents too. Personally though, I haven't used my tent but just twice this year and that was with my daughter. I'm a hammock camper now if it is just me.

hilbili
Name: jeff benefield

Post by hilbili » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:20 pm

I use a kelty. It's dry and DURABLE. For a kayak or backpacking, I use a Big Agnes Jackrabbit3. It's big enuf for 2 and some gear. it's a superlight, and I believe it's more durable than an ultralite. I do use a tarp for a groundcloth too.
tell'em Goober says "hey"!

flatlander44
Name: Joe

Post by flatlander44 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks for the input. Sounds like lots of good tents out there as long as one doesn't go for the cheapest thing available.

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Got a Kelty we've been using for 7-8 yrs now. Definitely DON'T GO CHEAP.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:18 pm

I use a discontinued Mountainsmith Sanctuary three man tent. A well made two pole dome, mesh inner top, full fly, no staking required (great on solid rock or gravel bars). It has a small vestibule which is handy, an "attic" (overhead net). Good advice on not going cheap. I've had this one for years, clean and dry it and it hasn't leaked yet. Consider getting a footprint with it if available. Or cut a sheet of tyvek to protect the floor from mud and punctures.

Michael

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:38 pm

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/alps/ ... -outfitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/AL ... oduct.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had my doubts (due to the low price) but purchased this tent direct from Alps Mountaineering.

I use this tent mostly solo with me sleeping on a rollacot. I modified with extra foam four furniture mover pads to keep the rollacot legs from direct contact with the tent material when gravel bar camping. Normally use a mesh ground cloth but have just pitched tent direct to the ground on some Forest Service tent sites. So far no visible damage to the tents floor.

Plenty of room for me alone but have used it a few times for two adults. Don't know if the size works for you or not.

I am super impressed with this tent. The floor is extra thick material. No issues with the zippers.

My tent has been used a lot and still works like new.

Used it last week on the Ozark Society CO trip. Rained every day and most nights, one evening 3.5 hours of heavy rain. No problems and inside stayed 100 percent dry.

Long as you leave the windows zipped shut, zero rain inside. Plenty of ventilation with windows zipped open.

I paid list for mine, but they might well be cheaper online if you can find the outfitter version. I recommend the outfitter version over the lighter weight standard model.

For what it is worth, this is the lowest priced tent I think I have purchased. And the quality of it is equal or way above the hi dollar brands (I have several of them also).

I use it for car camping, canoe and raft trips.

I have no connection with Alps Mounteering, but have really good service from this tent and several of their chairs / tables I purchased off the various internet sites.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

darkaly
Name: Aly Signorelli

Post by darkaly » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:32 pm

Our family can recommend Marmot tents almost without reservation. We've had an Aura 2-man tent for five years or so and we've been really pleased with the way it's worked for us. They're well designed and well built with good materials.

hdh
Name: Harlan

Post by hdh » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:09 pm

marmot fan also .... The only dislike is the bright color makes sleeping in hard to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Harlan Dickson Hughes.....If you fly with the buzzards at night, you got to soar with the eagles in the morning!!!!!!

Social Media