Austinkayak.com opinions (Mamba 8.1 package deal)

Paddling gear and boat review
ChaseDC
Name: chase

Post by ChaseDC » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:57 am

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/114 ... ckage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i am considering going this route even though i will have to save up a little. Anyone ever used this site before? Also wondering if the gear included in this package deal is decent or should i piece it out myself? I Need a new skirt/paddle anyways so this seems like a good route just wanting a few other opinions . Shipping is free! It also asks you if you want to pay taxes? So i need to if i dont want to? Same boat would run me 1200$ after taxes anywhere else with nothing

ChaseDC

Re: Austinkayak.com opinions (Mamba 8.1 package deal)

Post by ChaseDC » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:58 am

I still would like to find a used boat but i figured i might as well start saving in case i can not find anything for me

Ouachitoff
Name: Chris H

Post by Ouachitoff » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:34 pm

There are boats up for sale all the time, although I haven't seen a Mamba on here in a while. Trust me, the money you're saving up can be spent in lots of other places if you find a used boat. I did consider a package deal myself when I was looking for a boat, but I opted to go down and be helped by the fine folks at Ouachita Outdoor Outfitters in Hot Springs. They had several different brands of boats for me to sit in and try out. I ended up getting a good deal on a new but older-year model boat (Pyranha Burn) and bought a lot of my other gear there as well.

I remember seeing this on Craglist a few weeks ago: might check if they still have it.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/4346915085.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;\

Edit: now that I think about it, if you're looking at a Mamba 8.1, this Burn is too big for you..
Last edited by Ouachitoff on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.
- English proverb

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:48 pm

We have used them on a few occaisions. Got my custom length Aqua Bound Shred thru them. They have pretty good coupon codes in their newsletters/flyers. Not the widest selection of gear but easy to deal with.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

ChaseDC

Post by ChaseDC » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:57 pm

Been doing some deep searching for this or a jefe but can not seem to find either, including searches on craigslist within 500 miles. I am just weighing my options , So "if" i go the new boat route is this a good idea? Like i said the mamba would run 1250$ after taxes and 1300$ on the jefe. Seems like a deal since i need the skirt/paddle(365$ value) and could probably sell the PFD and helmet for something

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm

Regarding taxes... You are always supposed to report your internet purchases and remit the taxes owed in your home state/county/city.

No one does though. That's between you and your CPA.

Have you gone by OOO and talked with them? Jeremy has good advice on boat fit and use. They also do a spring "demo day" and make good deals on boats there. Sometimes they have reps from the various brands come out which is really cool.

PS - I've bought small items from them before with no problems. Like any other online store. My boats have come from OOO or used.

PPS - that package doesn't look bad though the helmet and paddle are probably brands/models that most folks wouldn't buy given a choice.

PPPS - Go check out what the local shops have. You'd be surprised at what they may have in stock from previous years. This isn't to say I guarantee you'll get a better price but it doesn't hurt to check out all your options. And it's really nice to deal with a local that supports the paddling community when you need warranty help.
Bryan Signorelli

Ouachitoff

Post by Ouachitoff » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:24 pm

sig wrote:Regarding taxes... You are always supposed to report your internet purchases and remit the taxes owed in your home state/county/city.

No one does though. That's between you and your CPA.

Have you gone by OOO and talked with them? Jeremy has good advice on boat fit and use. They also do a spring "demo day" and make good deals on boats there. Sometimes they have reps from the various brands come out which is really cool.

PS - I've bought small items from them before with no problems. Like any other online store. My boats have come from OOO or used.

PPS - that package doesn't look bad though the helmet and paddle are probably brands/models that most folks wouldn't buy given a choice.

PPPS - Go check out what the local shops have. You'd be surprised at what they may have in stock from previous years. This isn't to say I guarantee you'll get a better price but it doesn't hurt to check out all your options. And it's really nice to deal with a local that supports the paddling community when you need warranty help.
Just to add on to what Sig said, it's important to try gear out in person first. Trust me. I could have bought probably 20 helmets online by the time I finally found one that fit my melon. Same with PFD's and even paddles. If you're a ACC member, you get a membership discount at OOO as well.

edit:
There's a jackson hero that just got posted for sale! GOGOGOOGOGO
http://forums.arkansascanoeclub.com/vie ... =2&t=25507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- English proverb

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:48 am

Not sure if they still do but, OOO has in the past given 10% of boat price as store credit to buy gear. Buy $1000 boat get $100 in store credit for gear. ACC members get 10% off merchandise; excluding boats and sale items.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

ShayA
Name: Shay

Post by ShayA » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:08 pm

Austin Kayak is a great place to buy odds and ends accessories/gear and get free shipping. Being in Texas I have bought a lot of stuff from them. Even bought a LL Remix XP from them years ago but I picked it up. Seems like a nice deal but I see Mambas coming up for sale used quite a bit. In fact, there were about 3 of them on Craigslist just in the last month or so in the Dallas/OK area. $500-700 range. They are gone now. Keep looking around because you might find one. But, you should definitely try boats out first. Lots of people paddle different things and most are willing to let you try out on some smaller water. I just bought my 4th boat and it was the first one I actually paddled before I bought it. (so this one I got brand new) Only took me 4 times to figure that out.

ShayA

Post by ShayA » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:21 pm

Dude, here is a used mamba real close to you for $600 http://fortsmith.craigslist.org/boa/4401837260.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Go look at it, sit in it, ask the person if you can try it out. Never know what they might say. Might even be a ACC paddler.

ChaseDC

Post by ChaseDC » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:58 am

I have been in contact with that guy , its a 8.5 mamba and i am a small guy :/ Trust me i am checking craigslist hourly

Ouachitoff

Post by Ouachitoff » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:38 pm

I'm not sure how far you'd be willing to drive to pick up a boat, but I would also check mountainbuzz.com and https://boatertalk.com/gear/gear.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a boat.
- English proverb

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:03 pm

According to that Austin Kayak description... The size numbers may have changed. It refers to the new 8.1 being larger than the old 8.5.

So if that used boat is an 8.5 it may fit.

My skinny 16 year old daughter paddles a 2013 Nomad 8.1 fwiw.
Bryan Signorelli

we66erno1
Name: doug webber

Post by we66erno1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:16 pm

Here's a boat for ya. It's not necessarily a creeker, but would work for whitewater school and learning how to roll.

http://fayar.craigslist.org/boa/4388961847.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Henry Ford said "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for faster horses."

ShayA

Post by ShayA » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:21 pm

Chase, if you don't end up with a boat in the next few weeks I will be bringing an extra boat to WW school for anyone to use. It is a Pyranha Karnali medium. It is setup for me and I am 5'7". It is a great first boat and very forgiving. So don't sweat if you don't have a boat. You can use this one and I know there will be many others to try.

Social Media