Name: Anthony Moats

Wavesport recon review

Post by anthony » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:15 pm

So here is a little about me
5'9"
185lbs
Size 10 shoe

Paddled a Y, hero, and jefe grande before the recon

When I picked the boat up from OOO I was pleased with the aesthetics of it. The core white outfitting with the red black mix made for a flashy boat.

Outfitting it was quick and easy. The seat has 5 screw point and the tool comes with the outfitting so moving the seat was a snap. Just loosen the 5 screws and move the seat. I put the seat a little forward of center and this helps in catch eddies. The hip pads have a pocket for shims and is secured using Velcro and and strap on the back. Here's the best part of this outfitting, the thigh braces. The seat has a thigh thruster that raises the seat and securely places the thighs into a super aggressive thigh brace. The outfitting also comes with thigh shims for those with little thighs. The bulckhead is adjustable by using 2 screws to adjust the bluckhead to the size of the boat and the foam is then trimmed and bel rode in. There are 2 mor pieces of foam that already have adhesive on them and you trim them and stick them to the bulckhead. The screws adjusting the length of the bulckhead are attached to the boat so losing them is no longer and opition like in my other boats. After I got the outfitting done (it took 20 minutes) I couldn't believe how comfortable it was. I felt more comfortable than what I was in my jefe and I thought it didn't get better than my jefe.

Since I got the boat I have ran the following
Falling water when Richland was 11+ft
Richland @ 4.1 ft
Baker when the tot was 5+
And the tot and a big 5+ (felt bigger)

The first water I got on was falling water. The boat handled weel in this huge water day. The speed of the boat was evident when having to dodge tree that was going down the creek with us. The edge on the boat when engaged will carve but is only there when you lean into them and ask for them to engage. This was a huge step up from my jefe which had no edge. It handled more like my Y in the sense of eddginess. On Richland and baker I got to see how the recon boofs. The boat has a continueious rocker and that makes boofing a dream. I had to get used to the boat boofing from behind the seat, it doesn't leave the rock until my body is past it. It was a weird felling at first but now that I am ready for it is nice cause it makes me land past the holes. I shallow running water it only takes a few storkes to get it to speed and tracks well once at speed. If you don't like the line your on you can throw the edge into it and it will change lines rather easy. All in all this my favorite boat I have paddled. I felt like it took a step back when I went full displacement with the jefe but the recon has given me the confidence back that I lost with the jefe. I would encourage anyone coming from a plaining river runner and wanting a reek boat to give the recon a look.

RobM
Name: Rob

Re: Wavesport recon review

Post by RobM » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:05 am

I agree fully. I have had my Recon for over a year now & there's no other boat I would take out on any river. I have also ran the Mulberry , played on the Ford (SSWWP), buffalo, Remmel dam & the frog all at high to low levels. I have been on Richland , Hailstone, tot & the Colorado river with this boat. This boat has took me anywhere I have wanted to go & has not let me down. I would also like to add this boat wants to be UPRIGHT & very easy to roll. I have not took it up to the big water like class IV , V runs. Yet A friend took his to Ecuador last winter & His words was " the boat really comes alive in big white water". Yes if you want to surf get a play boat yet all in all this is my favorite boat for any river all shape & sizes. I also around 185 , 5'9" & I have the Recon 93 . High volume but paddles like a small boat, very quick & easy to roll.

Also if any one has watched " NO Limits " on the first show Lyle was enjoying some snow kayaking in his new one . He also switch from the jeffe to the Recon .

Curious Anthony, what size is your boat 83 or 93 ?

Rob
See ya on the water,
Rob

anthony
Name: Anthony Moats

Re: Wavesport recon review

Post by anthony » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:42 am

Social Media