Paddle Purchase Suggestions

Paddling gear and boat review

WPC
Name: Diane

Paddle Purchase Suggestions

Post by WPC » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:57 am

I want to upgrade to a better paddle and would like comments and/or suggestions. I paddle a liquid logic coupe crossover SOT. I have a good touring paddle, but want something for running the Mulberry, Spring, or similar rivers.
Werner paddles vs. AT paddles, straight shaft vs. bent shaft, etc.
Thanks,
Diane

Jim Krueger

Re: Paddle Purchase Suggestions

Post by Jim Krueger » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:03 pm

Diane,

For that type and width of boat, and for the more whitewater paddling conditions, I like the Werner, two-piece, bent shaft, Corryvrechen paddle. Marlo and I have been using this model for several years and I really like the light weight and strength of the paddle very much. The larger blade area has also been a real plus in executing maneuvers on faster streams. We've been using the 210-212cm paddles. They are a little pricy but I've been very pleased how well they have stood up to the abuse on rocky streams. 0.2cents worth :D

Best Regards
jim

WPC

Post by WPC » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:11 pm

That one and the Sherpa were to 2 Werner paddles I was considering. Considering I will not be using for whitewater playboating, would I see any difference in using the 2 piece paddle vs. the one piece paddle?

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:56 pm

Diane,

I think the one piece would be even better, and probably somewhat less expensive. I personally like a 30degree offset, and I know they offer that with the one-piece paddle as well. I think the only time that the take-apart feature of the two-piece has even come into play with us is when we've gone somewhere with the boats on one of our SUV's, and the two piece models fit in the car better. It's always been a non-issue in our truck. Werner has a really great connection for their two-piece paddles, however I do like one-piece paddles even better for their simplicity, and since that is what I have the most of otherwise, and have been most used to. I do want to emphasize the Corryvrechen though as my paddle of choice for a dual purpose Recreational/Whitewater use paddle, single-piece, or multi piece.
Cowper has a different brand, but similar type of paddle, in a single-piece configuration, that was the first carbon fiber paddle I ever tried, and I can say that his, and the Corryvrechen's are just a delight to paddle with all day for their lightness. When I first saw mine (it was a birthday present :D ) I thought the blades were so thin they'd never hold up, but it has really proved to be a great paddle and that 'you get what you pay for' in many ways. In so far as whitewater uses, I really like the larger blades for their 'catch factor'. Additionally, this is the only one of my paddles that is a bent-shaft. I can't explain why I like that feature in this particular paddle, however whenever I replace it, I will get another like it, maybe in a one-piece model.
Hope this review helps.

Jim

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:37 am

Diane,

If you don't want to pony up for the Werner check out Aqua Bound. I have a custom length AB Shred Hybrid. Carbon fiber shaft with polymer blades. Light and strong with one of the biggest blades on the market. Has been a very good paddle so far (3 years). I am very pleased with it. Austin Canoe and Kayak down your way is an authorized dealer. If you would like to try it, I will have it on the Current in 10 days.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

WPC

Post by WPC » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks for all of the great info. Chris, I hope to take you up on your offer to try out your paddle on our Missouri trip.

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:41 am

One pieces are generally stronger, a bit lighter, and you never need to worry that the joint may get looser as it gets older.

In addition to the transporting advantages of two pieces, some allow you to adjust the angle of the offset. If you try out 45 degrees and don't like that, you can change to a 30 degree or 15 degree offset in seconds, instead of having to buy a new paddle or live with something that isn't exactly what you want for years. You can also set it to 0 degrees, which can be handy if you take a non-paddling buddy out for the first time and the offset messes with their head. And some paddlers prefer 0 degrees, so while I personally feel body ergonomics points to having some amount of offset, I don't want to sound snooty about it if someone else disagrees and loves 0 degree offsets. Paddle with what you love!

I like the bent shaft in some brands, but not others. (The angles of the bends are slightly different in each bend.) If at all possible try to spend a little time with a demo paddle by the same manufacturer before you buy. To further complicate things, sometimes it takes more than a few minutes to figure out if you do or don't like it. The good news is, straight shaft paddles are still great, cheaper, and often lighter, so it is not that big a deal to just stick with straight shafts if you don't have the opportunity to test bents and find one that is "perfect" for you.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Ouachitoff
Name: Chris H

Post by Ouachitoff » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:54 pm

Werner Sherpa's a good river paddle. I paddle a bent shaft 197cm 30 offset
A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.
- English proverb

ainsley
Name: ainsley

Post by ainsley » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:46 am

I too am looking for SUP advice. I would like to purchase an inflatable board for use on rivers and lakes. I am 6'1" and probably ate too much for Thanksgiving. Does anyone have any experience with the NRS Czar or the Tower Adventurer? Are there any others that I should consider?

EDIT BY BOOFMASTER: This user is a commercial spammer and has been banned. There is no need to reply to the SUP question here, ainsley is not a real paddler.
AINSLEY

Social Media