Astral Ronny PFD?

Paddling gear and boat review

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Astral Ronny PFD?

Post by Canoe_Codger » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:24 pm

I've been looking for a newer style pfd and snagged one on sale at a local outdoor shop yesterday. A bit of research shows that it was designed mostly for kayakers with high back seats. I paddle a canoe though with no seat back. I like the features, construction and fit but wonder if anyone here has any practical on the water experience with this one.
Attachments
Astral Ronny.png

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: Astral Ronny PFD?

Post by Deuce » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:28 am

Never used a Ronny, but they seem to be well thought of, and Astral doesn't make any junk. Don't worry about the fact that it was made for people who paddle those funny little plastic boats. :poke2: It'll serve you well. I think you'll enjoy it, Codger.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Re: Astral Ronny PFD?

Post by Canoe_Codger » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks Luke. I searched online for a user review and didn't find any. It is a relatively new design (first marketed May of 2012 IIRC. Astral was one of the top four makers I had pegged to consider.

And my intended use is a non-restrictive rec canoeing vest so I will not be tempted to take it off while paddling on a hot day. I'll give it a swim this comeing weekend just to see how it performs in the water. The top rescue vests look cool but for my needs, just too bulky and costly. If I find that it doesn't meet my needs and expectations, I'll put it in the chest on my trailer as a loaner. If it does, I'll pick up a second one and retire both my old flat panel PFDs. There were several more of this genre that caught my eye. Now I need to find a good deal on a decent throw bag. Or two. My outdoor store in Jackson didn't stock them. Even after I explained what they were. But then the young saleslady didn't recognize the term "PFD" until I restated "life vest". And yes, they do sell canoes, kayaks and equipment. I miss the shops in Little Rock.

Michael

Social Media