Sprayskirt Suggestions

Paddling gear and boat review

Sir_Parks
Name: Jake Parks

Sprayskirt Suggestions

Post by Sir_Parks » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:07 pm

I'm lookin to buy my first sprayskirt and I'm a little overwhelmed to say the least. There's so many kinds out there that I have no idea which would be good for me. I was set on gettin a bombshelter but noticed that the cockpit size only goes down to large for them which is 32"-34" X 18"-20". My boats cockpit is 32x17 however, and I'm afraid that with the rubber rand instead of cord that it'll let too much water in. I'd love to hear y'all guys with experience with this stuff. Thanks
Jake

sig
Name: Bryan

Re: Sprayskirt Suggestions

Post by sig » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:07 pm

This website is sometimes useful in determining what skirt should fit which boat... http://www.skirtfit.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, OOO in Hot Springs carries many sizes and a knowledgable staff.
Bryan Signorelli

turboturtle

Re: Sprayskirt Suggestions

Post by turboturtle » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:27 pm

I've been through many styles and a half dozen brands over the years, and each had its ups and downs. Mine were mostly ups as I always shopped for a skirt which would not implode and didn't leak. You don't have to buy the best, but If your paddling the knarly, then it's critical that said spray skirt not implode on you at the wrong moment. Not many spray skirts out there that impressed me more than "Mtn. Surf". Since they are no longer in business, (as we know it), ex employee's of Mtn Surf started http://www.skirtworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These skirts are bombproof. I believe they have the line on the quality neoprene and glues that Mtn. Surf used.
If they do not have a skirt that fits your boat, they will make one for you. I had some concerns with purchasing one for my squirt boat and they assured me that if I wasn't satisfied, they would make it right. They added rand length for my tired old hands to get mine on my boat, and offered to adjust it any way I thought necessary to work for me.
They had always been proponents of the exposed flat and half round rubber rand, but have recently started producing bungee skirts. No matter which you choose, they are they driest skirt on the market. The only seepage I have experienced is at the back top of the tunnel and the small of my back. And this without splash, dry top or suit. If you have a two layer top for the tunnel, expect to remain dry.
These spray skirts are a tad pricey, but I see not much more so than much of the competition. You will get what you pay for here. Bill W. called me and asked what to do with his old Mtn Surf skirt for his squirt, and I said send it to Skirtworks and they will modify it for you for reasonable fee. So he sent one in and ordered a new one from them. If you ask, I'm sure he will give you his impression of their skirts and personal service.
I might add that if you aren't budgeted for the best, WildWassers "ECO Deck" is without a doubt the best deal for under a hundred. If you opted for their higher dollar Eldo XT, I would spring for the Skirtworks https://www.wildnet.com/products/sprayd ... decks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My $0.02

aka Bob

ps. I have grown fond of bungee decks because once you have initiated removal, they tend to pop right off, whereas some of the the rubber rand skirts require you to work your hand a bit more getting it off your boat. :myday"
Ten Thousand RPM's One Mile an Hour!

"Get a little every time you go"- Cowper

Social Media