New Outfitting for a Dagger Caption

Paddling gear and boat review

Shark Attack

New Outfitting for a Dagger Caption

Post by Shark Attack » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:57 pm

I've got what I was told was the "Last" Caption & when new I outfitted it with a Yakama UFO 3 position saddle. However over the years I've realized that this saddle is not comfortable or good in any position. I need to make this boat a big ole comfortable solo beast or just get rid of it. Any Ideas? :confused:
Wes

Al Donaldson

Re: New Outfitting for a Dagger Caption

Post by Al Donaldson » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:17 am

Wes:

If you're planning to do varied paddling rather than strict whitewater "attacks," I'd suggest ripping out the saddle and installing a solo seat (as high in the boat as you can stand.) The seat would allow you to kneel and to sit occasionally when the knees get beat up.

Since it is a Caption, and you probably don't want it to turn better, you likely don't want to widen it unless you'd like better initial and final stability. Widening it by 2" - 3" would make a big difference there and would make it turn like a widened Caption.

If you are looking for better tracking and glide, you could narrow it by a bit, but it would spin a bit less freely.

I've done these mods to several older uncomfortable whitewater boats, and the difference is enormous in comfort and usability.

Good seats are available from Ed's Canoe at http://www.edscanoe.com/canoeseats.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and from Essex Industries http://www.essexindustries.org/index.ph ... 37ff5631f0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or the good brothers at Two Brothers will sell you and Ed's seat for a great price.

You have a great hull! Don't let the current outfitting turn you against it.

HTH

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
alandonaldson@cfu.net
(319) 277-3194

Shark Attack

Post by Shark Attack » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks Al, that was the way I was wanting to go, but had never heard of someone pulling these things in narrower & was wanting to know if anyone had tried it and put in a seat. I'll get the parts & give it a try, or get the parts & take it to TWC & see if they can make it as wonderful as my Arkota, but with a little more BA ability. :D
Wes

Al Donaldson

Post by Al Donaldson » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:59 pm

Wes:

I'd not pull it in too much, but the routine looks like this:

1) Measure width and figure how much you want to change it;
2) Remove old saddle and thwarts;
3) Cut the thwarts to enforce your new width;
4) Install the thwarts temporarily (loose bolts);
5) Position the seat, measure it, cut it, mark its position on the gunwales with tape;
(when you cut it,of course, be sure to account for the thickness of the hull so that the seat will just fit inside)
6) Using your tape marks, drill new holes in gunwale with a bit slightly larger than the bolts (for a #10 machine screw (the most likely size) you can use up to a 1/4" drill);
(I use a flange washer to position the holes just far enough away from the inside of the gunwale so that the washer will fit. If you drill them much closer to the outside, you'll chance having the holes too close to the seat bar ends and/or drilling through the hull!)
7) Remove the thwarts;
8 ) Clamp the seat in position under the gunwales and drill through the seat bars (same drill size). You may have to pull the hull together a bit with straps or rope to get the seat holes to line up;
9) Install the seat, using spacers as needed to get the height right;
10) Install the thwarts, and you've done the hard parts.

Knee pads and all that are, of course, up to your taste.

HTH

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
alandonaldson@cfu.net
(319) 277-3194

Shep
Name: Paul Shepherd

Post by Shep » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:59 pm

Honestly, if it's not your ideal boat, you might be able to trade it even for something more appropriate like a solo 13... You could try here and on http://www.cboats.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Hope this helps,
Shep
Paul Shepherd

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats (said the water rat solemnly)." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

TBC
Commercial Member
Name: Louis Shaw

Post by TBC » Fri May 03, 2013 10:35 pm

http://edscanoe.com/canoeseats.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you need outfitting we carry most of the items above or can order for you. All prices are the same as from Eds listings above. We will ship them or pick up at our shop with no shipping cost.

Thanks,
Louis

Social Media