Tarp Tents

Paddling gear and boat review
Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Tarp Tents

Post by Deuce » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:58 am

Anyone use shelters rather than tents on gravel bars? I like the idea, but I'm not sure what I want. I've made an offer on a Sierra Desgins Origami 3 so I guess it's a little late to be asking, but does anyone like a particular brand/style? Would like to go with silnylon and trying to keep it reasonable ($150 or so) so that eliminates quite a few. Thoughts?
You come too.
Robert Frost

Owl

Re: Tarp Tents

Post by Owl » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:50 am

Staking out a tarp on a gravel bar can be challenging.

Quite a few one and two person free-standing tents have the ability to be set up with only the footprint, poles, and rainfly to make a tarp-like shelter that's easier to construct.

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:31 am

Okay, I didn't know there was such a critter, but I figured out the Mountain Hardware Drifter does that. Thanks Owl. Looks like that might be the best of both worlds for me. Doubt I'll find anything like that in silnylon, but I suspect I'm attaching too much importance to that any way.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Clif

Post by Clif » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:07 am

isn't that sil stuff a hiker thing... light and strong? U need it for boat and trail duty? I have loads of camp gear too heavy for backpacking... even some compact stuff
You sure this is on the right channel?

Regud
NW AR Chapter President
Name: Ryan Dugger

Post by Regud » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:16 am

I bought this Big Agnes a few months back that does what Owl is talking about...

They have 3 sizes and Campmor usually has a deal running on them.
- Ryan

"Confess your Swims!"

coldspring
Name: Tom C

Post by coldspring » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:09 pm

I prefer to hamock, but it's hard to always find a great campsite. If I'm out solo I stick my Tarptent brand tarptent Rainbow in with my other gear, in the case I don't find a suitable hammock site on the river. It weighs 32 oz, so is barely noticeable for extra space or weight. Since it has one support hoop and can be steaked out at the corners it does okay for tension and setup on the gravel. Tarptent.com has some other models out now that might work better. The problem with them are that they are a single layer of silnylon, and while that does have some breathability, I don't care for it with river use, it's far better up on a dry hill for a backpacker than along river fog.

If memory serves me, you're referring to a center pole supported tarplike pyramid type tent? I think it would be a hassle setting up.

I would stick with a normal hoop tent that doesn't require staking. It's not hard to find a good price on one less than 4 lbs

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:15 pm

Okay. I was happy with the idea of a tent with the light pitch option until I realized I'd still have to use the footprint. My reason for looking at tarp shelters was to go floorless. Then I ran across a guy who makes anklets to match your tent's floor dimensions so you can use the light pitch option without the footprint. I ordered a Big Agnes Lynx Pass 3 for $187 and an anklet to use when I want to go floorless. I think this will work out well for me. I really appreciate the advice. It probably saved me from making a pretty expensive mistake. SYOTR! :canoe:
You come too.
Robert Frost

Regud
NW AR Chapter President
Name: Ryan Dugger

Post by Regud » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:14 pm

Anklets for the Lynx? Please share where you found it. I always like having options!
- Ryan

"Confess your Swims!"

Owl

Post by Owl » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:21 pm

Other than some minimal weight savings, what advantage does going "floorless" have?

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:39 pm

Owl wrote:Other than some minimal weight savings, what advantage does going "floorless" have?
I know people use tents on gravel bars all the time, but I just feel like the gravel is not very kind to the floor material, especially since I use a cot. I know some others who feel the same way. Plus, I just like options 'cause I'm a gear ho. :oops:
You come too.
Robert Frost

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:41 pm

Regud wrote:Anklets for the Lynx? Please share where you found it. I always like having options!
Your wish is my command.
http://shumateshelters.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You come too.
Robert Frost

Owl

Post by Owl » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:10 pm

Deuce wrote:...especially since I use a cot...
I've never used a cot so that didn't enter my thoughts. I can see how floorless would be better in that situation.

Maybe I'll design/market a footprint that has openings for the cot legs for the best of both worlds. I'd call it the "Canklet".

:grin: ''

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:10 pm

Owl wrote:
Deuce wrote:...especially since I use a cot...
I've never used a cot so that didn't enter my thoughts. I can see how floorless would be better in that situation.

Maybe I'll design/market a footprint that has openings for the cot legs for the best of both worlds. I'd call it the "Canklet".

:grin: ''
I will not make a sexist comment. I will not make a sexist comment. I will not make a sexist comment. :NoNo:
You come too.
Robert Frost

Eric Esche
Name: Eric Esche

Post by Eric Esche » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:22 pm

I've pitched a tarp rather than a tent when I knew it was not going to be buggy weather and I wanted to be able to break camp quickly and not have to worry about dewatering/dethawing/defrosting the tent and fly. Tarps work fine and "Staking out" is no problem if you do not use stakes. Use small mesh bags full of rocks, or put a plastic bag full of sand inside of them. You can even bury a bag in the sand that can withstand the strongest winds, probably stronger than what your tarp or tent can withstand. I've done this in hurricane force winds a couple of times with a long and low, but taut profile and survived the night intact, comfortable, and dry in my goretex bivy sack and on my canoe pads. If you do not like the "stake out bags" Idea, you can also bury your metal stakes in sand or rocks to make them hold better. Have also tarp tented in a BNR campground using ropes around the tires on the canoe trailer and the Pathfinder for a stake out when I wanted an early start in the morning.

Want a "floor" for your floorless tarp? Buy a cheap plastic tarp and melt holes where you want your cot feet to go, or don't and just add a few layers of duct tape where the cot feet go. Nice when it is muddy or you have lots of visitors with sandy shoes. Rinse it off in the river or hose it off when you get home. It's a cheap water proof tarp. It's what I use as a footprint for my tent. I usualy carry an extra just to cover the firewood. I used to use old shower curtains, but I gave those away to someone who really needed a fly.

Although I have pitched tents on rocky gravel bars many times, you might have heard that I tend to pitch my tent up higher than just about everyone else. I also tend to drag my boat up higher and tie it to something permanent. Takes a little more time to load and unload gear, but that is also because I tend to carry more than anyone but Richard. This might also give me more time to get to safety if the water is rising. It also tends to be closer to where we set up the groover, so I do not have to walk as far in the dark or cold or rain. I have found that there is usually a crowned stretch of sand up high that is somewhat level, less lumpy, and tends to be drier. I bought a rising water alarm last year and have yet to use it, but I do carry it in my tent barrel. Sometimes, there might be method in my madness.

Eric Esche
Eric Esche

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:24 pm

Finally heard from the seller of the Origamis. He's offering them for $109.95 (2012 models slightly used) plus $15 shipping. I contacted him on December 24 and offered him his price if he would cover shipping. After so long with no response I decided he wasn't interested and went ahead with the Lynx Pass 3 and anklet which I think will work better for me any way. One thing I really like about the Lynx Pass 3 is the ability to use the door of the fly as an awning. That seems like something that will come in handy over the years. If anyone is looking for a pretty good sized silnylon tarp shelter check out Geartrade.com.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Social Media