Riot Glide WW boat (info needed)

Paddling gear and boat review

Foreverphishing
Name: chase

Riot Glide WW boat (info needed)

Post by Foreverphishing » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:56 pm

found this listing on craigslist , been wanting to get a WW boat but I've only had experience with a SOT , i and 5'9 and 135 lbs

could anyone tell me if this thing would be right for me?

http://fortsmith.craigslist.org/boa/3276414992.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foreverphishing

Re: Riot Glide WW boat (info needed)

Post by Foreverphishing » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:04 pm

never heard of riot either, good boat? and would this be an ideal price to pay?

Foreverphishing

Post by Foreverphishing » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:13 pm

just called him and asked him to hold this one for me, he said the only problem with the boat is a screw missing near the seat, i didn't figure that would be to hard to replace , said he has had people from 110-180 lbs in it and it did fine, its an old boat but I've never tried out any WW and think this would get a good way to get my hands wet and if i do enjoy it,possibly buy a nicer boat.

also said he has a paddle to go with it

Lupe
Name: Heather Huckeba

Post by Lupe » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:53 am

That Riot is not going to be a very beginner friendly boat for a couple reasons: very tight cockpit (so you need to feel pretty relaxed getting flipped over to execute your wet exit), and hard edges will really trip up a beginner until you learn edge control. This can also be a pretty hard boat to learn to roll (I started in a similar Riot, although not exact model).

Having said all that, you probably won't find a cheaper boat. If the guy can throw in a skirt, that would be good, as you need a really small cockpit opening to fit that boat and then that skirt won't fit any of the newer model boats (Riots had very small cockpit openings compared to most boats). In other words - you don't want to blow a great price on the boat by having to invest too much in a skirt that will only fit that boat. Maybe ask around because some folks might have old small cockpit skirts they aren't using anymore they could let go for cheap if the seller doesn't have one.

My theory is a boat you can paddle is better than no boat at all, so for $75, why not?! Just realize it's NOT going to be a super easy boat to learn in, and NOT anywhere as comfy as newer models. But most of us didn't make the best choice on our very first boat, and as long as your first boat is the boat that introduces you to the sport, then it's a winner!

If you are apprehensive about being upside down or getting into the sport, then this might not be the best choice, but if you are up for a challenge, not intimidated by being in a tight boat, then this is a good low investment way to give it a try! Although my Riot probably wasn't the most beginner friendly boat for me, I had to learn better skills paddling that boat which made me a better paddler (paddle a Riot sloppy and you're upside down a lot). And, now in comparison, every boat seems easy to roll! :thumbup:

Hope you can make it to Rendezvous to chill with other paddlers!
I've heard that into every life a little of it must fall,
but you'll never catch me complaining about too much of that southern rain.
~ Michael Timmins, Cowboy Junkies

Foreverphishing

Post by Foreverphishing » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:04 am

Thank you for the info :) i just called him back and he said he would throw in a skirt for 30 . i like a good challenge and i see how learning is something like this could in the end make you a better paddler, i have a couple friends into it as well that are going to show me some basics on rolling so hopefully it turns into something i love doing . this would be a cheap way for me to try out new and I'm going to run with it ;)

Foreverphishing

Post by Foreverphishing » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:01 pm

Turns out the boat was too small for me. i kept the paddle and managed to sell in on craigslist for 50$. wish i would have fit in it :/

Social Media