*****Sweet Protection, 2012 Back-band problems****

Paddling gear and boat review
we66erno1
Name: doug webber

*****Sweet Protection, 2012 Back-band problems****

Post by we66erno1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:40 am

I recently had a back-band failure on my brand new 2012 Sweet Protection Strutter Helemt. I rolled over in moving water and the OCCIGRIP (back-band) became disengaged. Allowing the Helemt to move back and expose my forehead :thumbdown:!!!!

I contacted Sweet Protection for north America, they said they were aware of the problem and were only dealing with it as people contacted them.(what the hell?!! More on this later) They sent me a new spring to install in the OCCIGRIP, to keep it from happening along with a encrypted video link( seriously??!!!). With the new fix, my Strutter has not had a problem staying secure.

But here's my main problem: how can a company, as respected as sweet protection not come out and declare a major recall? Almost all of their 2012 helmets use the OCCIGRIP. This even extends to their winter sports Helmets and mountain bike helmets.

This company commands a premiumn price for their gear because of the assumption it has better safety gear!!! All I've taken from this whole ordeal is that they know there is a major problem with the only peice of their Helmets that is instrumental in fitting the Helmet to your head. They have a kit that is ready to go, IF YOU CONTACT THEM! They have a video showing how to install the kit, THATS PASSWORD PROTECTED! All Of this stinks of a cover-up or fear of having another major problem for sweet. Remember they had to destroy a whole years worth Of helmets earlier in 2012, because of mass test failures.

To be clear, I bought my Strutter from OOO. I made Jermery aware of what Sweet Protection sent me. Im assuming he is going to install the kits on all his helmets in stock. I also made sure that the new helmet Mrs. Sig bought (a Wanderer), was given a kit also.

And FYI, if you have bought or Are planning on buying a 2012 helemt made by SP, make sure there is a RED tab for the release On the OCCIGRIP back-band. If there is not, then you my friend have a faulty helmet!

I also sent Sweet Protection an email, clearly asking if they planned on informing the public of this issue by either a recall or a notice. Their response was a clear NO. I'm posting this, so as to forewarn everyone about this very dangerous problem. If you know of any other boards this should go on, go ahead and link this thread to them.

I'll be posting pics of what your Helmets back band should look like and what it shouldn't. I'll also put p the encrypted link to the video. And once I figure out how, the email thread between myself and Sweet.
Henry Ford said "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for faster horses."

we66erno1

Re: *****Sweet Protection, 2012 Back-band problems****

Post by we66erno1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 am

Here's the link and the password to the video showing how to install the fix.

https://vimeo.com/47230594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Password: sweet2420
Henry Ford said "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for faster horses."

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:07 am

We replaced our "plastic spring" after watching the video. Pretty easy.

The old spring was very soft compared the replacement they sent.

Doug didn't post the emails he swapped with Sweet but it sounded like they were trying to treat the problem as "some" of the plastic springs didn't meet spec but they couldn't identify which helmets and how many were effected.

So for now they are replacing them when you call them. Too bad you may not find out yours is defective until you get in a situation where the helmet is subjected to stresses the spring can't handle. After Doug's loosened up, he had trouble getting it to stay tight. Tough luck if you have several miles left to paddle, I guess.

I did a quick Google before replacing the spring in my wife's helmet and couldn't find references to this problem on any paddling website or on Sweets site.

I wish they'd be more honest and open. Tell the consumers that if your helmet has a date stamp between X and Y you may be affected and we'll send you a replacement as soon as you let us know.
Bryan Signorelli

Jeremy M

Post by Jeremy M » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:41 pm

OOO will have new clips next week. If you have purchased a 2012 sweet helmet, check the fit. The US Sweet Representative will be making a statement and clearing up any confusion. It is a case by case basis, please contact OOO if you have any issues or other questions after the statement is made.
"For the last word in procrastination, go travel a river reluctant to lose his freedom to the sea."
-Aldo Leopold

we66erno1

Post by we66erno1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:24 pm

at least their finally gonna tell people that there might be a serious issue. That's better then what they told me what the original plans were in getting the word out....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 559&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

we66erno1

Post by we66erno1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:58 pm

link to the video. I had to bail after the occigrip disengaged, because it felt like the chin strap was gonna strangle me. With all the water pressure trying to pull it off my head. Go to the 45 second mark and you'll see what Im talking about

http://youtu.be/zB8XNwRNLVI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unsponsored

Post by unsponsored » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:19 pm

Very interesting to say the least. What is the date of manufacture of your strutter?

we66erno1

Post by we66erno1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:15 pm

The date on the sticker on the inside says 2012/04 SW 8228.

And just let me clarify, after putting in the new spring my helmet works great. And I'll be wearing it this weekend!

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:17 pm

You "thought" your old helmet worked fine too. Only time and getting worked in a hole will tell :)

Aly's helmet sticker says: 2012/04 SW 13007
Bryan Signorelli

unsponsored

Post by unsponsored » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:18 am

Just checked mine 2012/04 SW 8489 looks like a call to Sweet.

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:42 am

I've been told the problem depends on where your head is within the size range for a given helmet.

My thinking is this: have you ever loaned your helmet to a buddy?
I have many times including the last time I was at rockport.
And unlike me, some folks actually sell some of their used gear.

So I think the socially and morally correct thing to do would be to get the replacement part even if you don't personally have a problem with the fit on your head. You're only one of the people who might be counting on that helmet one day.

I'd like to thank Doug for calling the problem to our attention, and Jeremy for his ongoing efforts to work with Sweet to make sure we have a full and correct understanding of the issue. I look forward to hearing what they say. If this really is limited to an inexpensive part on 2012 helmets, the answer should be easy!
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Jeremy M

Post by Jeremy M » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:18 am

Just got off the phone with the guys at Sweet Protection. The reasoning behind them taking it on a case by case basis was the fact that it was such a small amount of helmets, where the "Occi-grip" did not meet specs. Below is an official statement from Sweet and the link to put in the new "Occi-grip" retainer, that we now have in stock. Be sure to remember that the "Occi-grip" is simply for fine tuning. It should be noted that the helmet have a proper fit before adjusting the Occi-grip retainer. Ouachita Outdoor Outfitters will mail new retainers to anyone with a 2012 Sweet Helmet who feels the Occi-grip is slipping or simply wants to install it as a precautionary measure. We'll also be helping anyone with helmet fit at the Rendezvous next weekend, whether or not the helmet is from Sweet. Thanks for you guy's patience on this issue.

https://vimeo.com/47230594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Password: sweet2420
Statement_Occi-grip.jpg
"For the last word in procrastination, go travel a river reluctant to lose his freedom to the sea."
-Aldo Leopold

we66erno1

Post by we66erno1 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:02 am

The letter seems to go against everything Sweet says about the OCCIGRIP in thier advertising and their product manual. In both those instances, they say that the OCCIGRIP is a "NO-ROLL TENSIONING SYSTEM" multiply times. So which is right? The corprate letter or the advertsing/product manual?

Here's the link to my post on boater talk: http://boatertalk.com/forum/BoaterTalk/ ... 1052394552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks goes to Jeremy at OOO for being proactive about this and posting that letter from them on this thread. Just wish Sweet would figure out if it's a mechanical anti-roll device or a mechanical system for "fine-tuning"

Jeremy M

Post by Jeremy M » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:43 am

It is both...

Just as the H.O.G. lock from ShredReady and just like your backband on your kayak. The helmet should fit properly before using, this way in the event of a failure, the helmet will still do its job, just as if your backband on your kayak fails you don't fall out of your boat.

Anything mechanical has the potential for failure, relying solely upon said device as your only method of fit, whether in your kayak or your helmet is unadvisable.

It would be analogous to relying solely upon the air bags for your protection in a car. There are a number of safety measures in your vehicle and chances of survival in a crash are higher if you use all of them.
-Aldo Leopold

we66erno1

Post by we66erno1 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:52 am

everything is as strong as its weakest link. And if a red piece of plastic will fix that weakness in the system, then problem solved and the system is less likely to ever have a problem again. Here's hoping they tell more people about it, then just their dealer network. Because I will continue to tell anyone and everyone i see that does not have the updated RED spring, how to go about getting it.

Glad that OOO has these in stock. It just goes to show how lucky we are that our local dealer is so proactive and has taken steps to get the word out and procure the updated RED springs. Thanks Jeremy!!! :clap: :yahoo:

Social Media