Canoe Paddle Recomendations?

Paddling gear and boat review

Eztouche

Canoe Paddle Recomendations?

Post by Eztouche » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Good canoe paddles are pricey.
I am looking for a paddle for Buffalo River etc, no heavy whitewater.
Have a Carlisle bent shaft and a Aquabound ww
Any thoughts?
I paddle a Sawyer Summersong glass boat and a Yellowstone Royalex solo.
"If I could rest anywhere, it would be in Arkansas, where
the men are of the real half-horse, half alligator breed
such as grows nowhere else on the face of the universal earth"
-Davey Crockett[

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: Canoe Paddle Recomendations?

Post by Deuce » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:38 pm

Arthur Bowie was kind enough to lend me a Carlisle paddle at Rec School and I really enjoyed it. He thought it was one of their inexpensive ones, but I've looked high and low for one just like it and haven't been successful. I suspect they no longer make it, but they do make some very reasonably priced GP/recreational paddles that would serve you well. Mohawks also get the job done just fine for under thirty bucks. If you want wood this guy's paddles are inexpensive, hand made by him, and are supposed to be good. I haven't used any of them. http://dri-kiwoodworking.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You come too.
Robert Frost

Eztouche

Post by Eztouche » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:42 am

Have been looking at Bending Branches and Werner. I have had a Gillespie double bent shaft for years.
"If I could rest anywhere, it would be in Arkansas, where
the men are of the real half-horse, half alligator breed
such as grows nowhere else on the face of the universal earth"
-Davey Crockett[

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:01 am

Eztouche wrote:Have been looking at Bending Branches and Werner. I have had a Gillespie double bent shaft for years.
Pricey is surely a subjective term. For example, based on my conversations with my yakker friends a decent yak paddle costs as much as a really good canoe paddle. However, if you're looking at Bending Branches and Werner that's why you think quality canoe paddles are pricey. They're definitely quality canoe paddles, and they're pricey. I think BB has one for seventy bucks or so, while Werner's basic rec paddle if I'm not mistaken is over a c note. In my mind for a Buffalo, Ouachita, Current, etc. type paddle that's pricey, hence my mention of several decent ones in the thirty dollar range. But, as I said, one man's pricey is another man's reasonable. I'd love to have some 58"-60" paddles under thirty ounces, but not enough to shell out over $100 per, at least not right now. ;)
You come too.
Robert Frost

Al Donaldson

Post by Al Donaldson » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:33 pm

I've had a chance to try couple of Dri-Ki's paddles, and, if you can handle the relatively heavy weight of the solid ash paddle, they are absolutely unbeatable. Their prices are right out of 1964, even considering shipping.

http://dri-kiwoodworking.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are available only by order and are not sold in any stores, but they are well-made and are made of very carefully selected ash.

I have two testers working with a couple of these and the reports are uniformly great. Being an old, weak paddler, I prefer a cedar paddle for most of my long trips, but that is my problem, not a problem of these great paddles.

To order, you'll have to call (207) 528-2573 or email rick@dri-kiwoodworking.com

It is worth the trouble.

Regards,

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
alandonaldson@cfu.net
(319) 277-3194

Social Media