Double D Drysuit

Paddling gear and boat review

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Double D Drysuit

Post by RomanLA » Tue May 29, 2012 12:27 am

I'm sending my Kokatat in for repairs and then putting it up for sale. I'm thinking about making the jump to the Double D. I've got a ton of IR gear and clothing and love it all. Anyone have any experience with the Double D? How hard is it to zip/unzip by yourself? Thanks!

JasonK
Name: Jason Kindall

Re: Double D Drysuit

Post by JasonK » Tue May 29, 2012 6:43 pm

I have one and love it. Ihave no experience with Kokatat's Gore-Tex drysuits, but I have found the Double D's 4-layer Entrant fabric to be pretty comfortable and breathable. It is after all a spin off or derivative of the gore tex concept. I've stayed dry as a bone on cold days and slightly damp from perspiration on warmer days. I have not had the opportunity to test it while being worked in a hole or anything but I have swam in heavy current and remained dry.

I like that the shoulder / back zipper doesn't hang up on your PFD. I'm a pretty big guy with wide shoulders, and even I can zip up by myself. It just takes a little practice and technique. Of course if I've got a partner I'll ask for a quick zip up.

The drysuit feels bomber, and feels good on. I really like the design. The only critique or complaimt I'd offer is that Cordura butt patches and knee patches would be awesome.

I'd recommend the suit, and I'd buy it again.
Cheers,

Jason

Regud
NW AR Chapter President
Name: Ryan Dugger

Post by Regud » Tue May 29, 2012 7:24 pm

I picked up my Double D from Austin Kayak for $700 with a discount code I had.

A medium fit me good with my short legs.

I have never had a Kokatat, but would buy the Double D again.
- Ryan

"Confess your Swims!"

RomanLA

Post by RomanLA » Tue May 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Cool...thanks! I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask a few questions...custom sizes, repair costs, turnaround times, etc. I was super impressed when Kokatat replaced a gasket and had it back in the mail the same day they received it.

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Wed May 30, 2012 6:36 am

Let me know what your research finds on beathability and/or how long the fabric remains waterproof.

I feel like the Kokatats are overpriced, but have had such great service out of them (both the product and the company) that I keep buying them (by which I mean, two total in the last two decades...)

One web review said "its not goretex...", but the overall review was so positive that from the context I couldn't tell if they were admitting the fabric is good but maybe not quite up to goretex standards of breathability, durability, etc, OR, did they just mean that if you're one of those people who worships goretex then you're not going to believe anything else can possibly compete, so why even bother trying to convince you?

I also note Kokatat says on their website they still make their suits here in the USA; I'm willing to factor that in to my decision as well. I don't know where the IR's are made; I guess I'm asking?
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Regud
NW AR Chapter President
Name: Ryan Dugger

Post by Regud » Wed May 30, 2012 7:05 am

When I bought mine, I was told it was made overseas, but inspected and serviced in the US.

The suit seems tough and thick, which might be a complaint from others. I have no doubt the material will hold up over time, as for the waterproofing... time will tell.
- Ryan

"Confess your Swims!"

RomanLA

Post by RomanLA » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:21 pm

I sent my Kokatat suit in for some repairs to get it ready to sell. They determined that it was starting to delaminate (it's a really old model) and are replacing it for free! I went ahead and paid a little extra to upgrade to a custom GMER. :yahoo:

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:26 pm

RomanLA wrote:I sent my Kokatat suit in for some repairs to get it ready to sell. They determined that it was starting to delaminate (it's a really old model) and are replacing it for free! I went ahead and paid a little extra to upgrade to a custom GMER. :yahoo:
HOLY COW!!!!

I knew they were good in CS.. But, WOW!!!
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

RomanLA

Post by RomanLA » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:25 pm

tomOzarkVideo wrote:
RomanLA wrote:I sent my Kokatat suit in for some repairs to get it ready to sell. They determined that it was starting to delaminate (it's a really old model) and are replacing it for free! I went ahead and paid a little extra to upgrade to a custom GMER. :yahoo:
HOLY COW!!!!

I knew they were good in CS.. But, WOW!!!
Yeah...it's crazy! It kinda makes buying an old drysuit that much more appealing. Somewhere down the road, you're liable to get a brand new one out of it.

Social Media