Blow Log Specs?

Paddling gear and boat review

Wildwood
Name: Jan Johnson

Blow Log Specs?

Post by Wildwood » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:06 pm

Please describe the ideal size blow log. My son & I keep finding hollow logs . . .
I can use some hints and tips on what to bother with getting back home for fun use later.
Thanks.
Jan
Jan Johnson

"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave intending to arrive safely in an attractive, well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a paddle in your hands, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Fish

Re: Blow Log Specs?

Post by Fish » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:05 am

We've lit 'em from 3' to 12' long and 10" diameter to probably more than 3 feet. If you're looking for optimal, maybe 5-6' long and 1.5 ft diam is a large but manageable size. The main thing is that it's hollow all the way thru (has to work as a chimney), that it's at least a bit flammable, and that air can get sucked in the bottom to feed the "blow". Lots of design ideas out there, but maybe the safest I've seen (and blow logs by their nature are not what most people would describe as a safe activity so err on the side of caution, especially with kids around) is to use bricks with spaces in between them to rest the log vertically on to provide a stable base and good ventilation. Then guy wire the log three ways so it can't fall over prematurely. Then build a fire nearby and get a bunch of hot coals, which you can transfer by shovel to the space under and around the log, leaving enough room for air to get sucked in the base. Takes a bit for the heat to build and get the engine going, but as the inside of the log catches fire, it'll almost always put on a good show.

BTW, I do not recommend building a fire first and then moving the log into the fire. Billy W. has scars on his hands to prove that's not the smartest way to light a blow log...

- Fish

Shark Attack

Post by Shark Attack » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:33 pm

There is one in a pile on the south side of Davids Small Engine in Mayflower
Wes

prophet
Name: Grant Nally

Post by prophet » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:37 am

Fish wrote:We've lit 'em from 3' to 12' long and 10" diameter to probably more than 3 feet. If you're looking for optimal, maybe 5-6' long and 1.5 ft diam is a large but manageable size. The main thing is that it's hollow all the way thru (has to work as a chimney), that it's at least a bit flammable, and that air can get sucked in the bottom to feed the "blow". Lots of design ideas out there, but maybe the safest I've seen (and blow logs by their nature are not what most people would describe as a safe activity so err on the side of caution, especially with kids around) is to use bricks with spaces in between them to rest the log vertically on to provide a stable base and good ventilation. Then guy wire the log three ways so it can't fall over prematurely. Then build a fire nearby and get a bunch of hot coals, which you can transfer by shovel to the space under and around the log, leaving enough room for air to get sucked in the base. Takes a bit for the heat to build and get the engine going, but as the inside of the log catches fire, it'll almost always put on a good show.

BTW, I do not recommend building a fire first and then moving the log into the fire. Billy W. has scars on his hands to prove that's not the smartest way to light a blow log...

- Fish
i've read all that twice and still cant find :beer: in there

Wildwood
Name: Jan Johnson

Post by Wildwood » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:53 pm

Prophet, I think the :beer2: was in the planning stages, when explosions came to mind . . .
Jan
Jan Johnson

"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave intending to arrive safely in an attractive, well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a paddle in your hands, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

nathan richard
Name: nathan

Post by nathan richard » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:16 am

we're gonna burn our first big blow log tomorrow night. we practiced with a couple little ones last weekend. i'm pretty excited. any other tips would be appreciated.

prophet
Name: Grant Nally

Post by prophet » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:18 pm

no tips but enjoyment unless you add explosives, but thats for lower class fire watchers :D and they get what they deserve.
if you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough

nathan richard
Name: nathan

Post by nathan richard » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:39 pm

There will be a few low class fire watchers out there tomorrow night. anyone else that wants to come out (low or high class) is welcome. we'll be out HWY 412 between tontitown and siloam springs.

Social Media