New JK River Running Kayaks

Paddling gear and boat review

Mike_P
Name: Mike Potts

New JK River Running Kayaks

Post by Mike_P » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:13 pm

At some point I'll need a new river runner/creek kayak. Love my JK SuperHero (2nd gen) and 3rd gen 4Fun. Looking at their new boats: FunRunner, Zen, and the 3rd generation SuperHero. Tough choice between them. Leaning toward the Zen at this point for something to run mainly class III stuff (II+ to IV-). Want something a little faster that my current SuperHero but not give up the awesome stability. A little easier to surf would be cool too. And easy to roll Thoughts?

http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/whitewater/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hear a lot of good things about the Karnali, but love the JK outfitting. I'm 5'9" 185 lbs (& doing down thanks to a diet :clap: ) so in between a lot of medium/large boat sizes. Also heard good things about the LL Stomper.

Mike P.
Rogers

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Re: New JK River Running Kayaks

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:32 pm

The boats mentioned are very different from one to the next.

The zen looks cool. Very similar to the Remix (NonXP version). I paddled Bulldognelson's remix for a moment... Wow.. WAY faster than my Habitat. I'm guessing the Zen will plane/surf a lot better than the remix.

Funrunner: just looks sexy.. With a bulkhead. "Richland style" play boat. (boat at your own risk)

Stomper: It's interesting that EG and Norquist haven't been using them on BFTV. I'm sure it's a great boat. Probably not much of a departure from the super hero. quicker maybe.

Pardon my SP/Grammar.. I'm supposed to be working.
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

tomOzarkVideo

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:23 am

tomOzarkVideo wrote: Stomper: It's interesting that EG and Norquist haven't been using them on BFTV. I'm sure it's a great boat. Probably not much of a departure from the super hero. quicker maybe.
After some pic viewing on Fred Norquist's FB page, I noticed that he and Evan picked up a year's supply of boats in the spring. Maybe next year they'll be boofing the Stompers.

Jbyrum
Name: Jordan Byrum

Post by Jbyrum » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:43 am

EG and Norquist use the Jefe Grande instead of the Stomper because it gives them so much more volume and a bigger bow to make those big drops a little softer.
Jordan Byrum

tomOzarkVideo

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:44 am

Tyler Bradt and Rush Sturges still prefer the Nomad over the Mamba.

Hey Byrum.. Have you floated with EG & FN yet?

:box: BROWN!! :drool2:

Jbyrum
Name: Jordan Byrum

Post by Jbyrum » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:22 pm

In my dreams :drool2:
Jordan Byrum

Social Media